Thai's and responding to questions via Email or Text - Why don't they respond?

Thomas J

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I make my inquiry both in English and Thai.  They just don't respond.  Particularly true on Shopee and Lazada where it says to "contact" them with any questions.  Not difficult questions, like "is it in stock" or "what brand is it"  

Do you write Thai yourself or use Google translate? google translate works pretty good for single words but is useless for conversations.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you write Thai yourself or use Google translate? google translate works pretty good for single words but is useless for conversations.

FritsSikkink

As mentioned very short like what brand is this.  Use Google Translate.  Even if what you say is true, it would seem reasonable for someone to respond with "I don't understand"  But they just don't respond at all.  Very routine.  Contacting hospitals, government web sites forget it.  They never respond 

8 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

FritsSikkink

As mentioned very short like what brand is this.  Use Google Translate.  Even if what you say is true, it would seem reasonable for someone to respond with "I don't understand"  But they just don't respond at all.  Very routine.  Contacting hospitals, government web sites forget it.  They never respond 

Private hospitals do, quickly.

Government websites are useless. I would never even bother trying.

This is not unique to Thailand.

Has been going on for years all over the world. Written requests go unanswered and only if followed up by a call or visit in person are inquiries answered.

I think it is a manifestation of a basic lack of manners, poor training in business skills and weak management of employees. 

11 minutes ago, oompie69 said:

This is not unique to Thailand.

oompie69 

Not true,

If I ask a question of a seller on Ebay or Amazon I always get an answer.  If I ask on Ali Express I always get an answer.  However on sites like Lazada and Shopee where the seller says to contact them via chat for answers even basic questions like how many or what brand, they don't even bother to respond.  If that is the case then leave off the fact that you can contact them via chat. 

8 hours ago, Thomas J said:

FritsSikkink

I haven't had an email or phone problems in English with 2 different (private) hospitals on different occasions. Like I said before Google translate makes very strange messages.

Suspect that Thai  people do not regard it as an insult.

In my experience  they determine  that you have no intention to buy-so no response.

Efficient -they would argue.

Thai people are not bothered by this.

Farang do regard it as an insult!

I find that some Thai people do better writing in English than speaking English.  I've had brilliant results using the "chat" feature in English on Thai business websites like Home Pro and Ikea.  Also use Facebook messenger with some Thai friends, in English.  They can run my messages through Google translate if they have a problem understanding.