Snake in garden

ddeellbbooyy

if the grass is cut and no food around then they are being attracted to the garden by something else.  Is it on a snake route to somewhere where they do feed?   Is there water around, or rocks to hide under, is there shade in the garden where they can hide? There is some reason for them being there, not just coincidence, so you need to think about what it may be. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

if the grass is cut and no food around then they are being attracted to the garden by something else.  Is it on a snake route to somewhere where they do feed?   Is there water around, or rocks to hide under, is there shade in the garden where they can hide? There is some reason for them being there, not just coincidence, so you need to think about what it may be. 

Snakes aren’t exactly territorial, they just wander about. My guess is the snake was just passing through.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Could someone please identify the snake? I found one of those floating in my garden lotus pool just this Saturday. Drowned, apparently. If venomous, it would be the first I have encountered in almost ten years in this house. I occasionally see golden tree snakes and those keel-backed checkered whatsits. 

14 hours ago, ddeellbbooyy said:

the grass is cut and no food laying around 

Our village is surrounded by rice paddies and forest. When the rain season hits or when the harvesting season is ongoing you will see alot more snakes wandering around. Cutting the grass, keeping the yard clean really does not help keeping them away. Being vigilant and ready to act is the best defense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Could someone please identify the snake? I found one of those floating in my garden lotus pool just this Saturday. Drowned, apparently. If venomous, it would be the first I have encountered in almost ten years in this house. I occasionally see golden tree snakes and those keel-backed checkered whatsits. 

Cobra.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Could someone please identify the snake?

There are 3 types I have experienced so far in Thailand, Indochinese - Monocled - and King cobra. They can all vary greatly with color depending on region, time of year and last molt. Have to see the belly to tell for sure. My best guess is King cobra, I could be wrong.

Very sorry to hear about your dog, I hope he recovers soon.      We often forget how they put their own lives at risk to protect us.

The area I live in used to have a variety of different kinds and sizes of snakes.       A year ago the area I Iive in had flooding for the first time in over 50 years - all the snakes have gone ( I have seen only one small one some months ago ).        In general, after the flooding habitat ( trees / grasses / soil type ) changed, bird species have changed ( aggravated by hunters ).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Snakes aren’t exactly territorial, they just wander about. My guess is the snake was just passing through.

true but to quote a knowledgeable, google  source:

"A snake will only stick around if you have suitable habitat, shelter and a good food source".

which is what I said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Can I ask for this snake to be identified please. My wife spotted it out side this morning, it's probably less than a metre long, black with an orange collar? Thanks.

received_2745015249055584~2.jpeg

Red necked keelback.

Poisonous but not very dangerous as it is rear fanged and you would have to sick your finger in it's mouth and then let it chew down on it to get any serious amount of venom. For many years these snakes were considered harmless. Move it to a neww location and you can both be happy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

true but to quote a knowledgeable, google  source:

"A snake will only stick around if you have suitable habitat, shelter and a good food source".

which is what I said.

Right, but since he already said that there’s no food around...also, cobras usually stay underground during the day to escape the heat and they come out in the evening to hunt, unless it’s a king cobra they’re more or less exclusively diurnal, the good news is they eat snakes.... ????

8 hours ago, vogie said:

Can I ask for this snake to be identified please. My wife spotted it out side this morning, it's probably less than a metre long, black with an orange collar? Thanks.

Black with an orange collar? 

Watch out, that must be the posionous Harrivanka viper...

Normally its hunting grounds are in the US, especially in election season but some late mail-in ballot-nests might have 'snaked out' in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, vogie said:

That's an orange collared 38 inch black slithery to the best of my knowledge.  I'm from the UK , we have enough problems without these things floating around.

Common Rat Snake

it is in the stages of molting, otherwise it’s green is more vibrant. It eats just what it’s name implies - rats. It is non-venomous and useful to keep rat carrying diseases down. It is usually very shy and will always try to avoid humans and walk away - even from small children. The only time it bites is when a human or dogs. going after it and won’t let it get away.  It can be quite fast under those circumstances. It is a shame that you had to kill it. Please get to know this vs the two cobra species that you might mix it with. The common Rat Snake it far more useful to you by killing disease carrying rats than it is dead under your shovel. Live and learn...

This certainly is not a rule but works for most snakes in Thailand. If the pupils are round it is non-venemous. If the pupils are slit like it is venomous. All snakes bite when scared. An interesting thing about snakes is that they can only stay <deleted> off 15 to 30 seconds at high sympathetic flight or fright. They then calm down. Yes a rattlesnake will still rattle and a cobra will still posture but that is to show u that u entered it’s territory and is scared. With a few exceptions (Black Momba, Bushmaster - both African /south american mainly) snakes prefer to move away from you because u will kill it, Meerkats as well and some scorpions plus other snakes. I am a Catholic and the Bible was the worst thing that ever happened to snakes! Lol