Koh Samui: Eight foreigners ripped off by Thai woman over visas/work permit go to the police

webfact

23 minutes ago, sambum said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats respect got to do with it? 

You think if they dressed properly they would not have been ripped off by the Thai lady ????

I think if they had dressed a bit more appropriately they might have been treated differently by the Police i.e.:-

" ............consider going to the court for a warrant for her arrest."

It's the police who file the warrant for her arrest - the court will never see what the foreigners were dressed like. 

First and foremost on the minds of the police will surely be how to take the path of least resistance, i.e how to proceed with as little effort as possible, possibly followed a very close second by how to make some money from this (or even in reverse order).... 

I very much doubt they would be treated any differently if they were all wearing tailored suits !!!!  you’re hanging on the word of the ‘reporter’ who may well of chosen to write ‘consider’ instead of ‘prepared’ [to go to the court for a warrant for her arrest.. etc etc... (we all know how flawed the reporting is here).

8 minutes ago, Almer said:
10 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

Thai culture is one thing, but on the other hand I would also assume that he would not even turn up like that at a government office in his home country! I simply to do not understand these kind of people.......

Trailer Trash

Hypothetical situation coming up:

You are on the beach in Koh Samui - Wearing shorts, someone robs your wallet - Do you put on your vest and go report the theft at the police station, or do you go home to put on trousers and a collared shirt so you look presentable and are dressing appropriately at a police station before going to report the theft ???????

Are you ’Trailer Trash’ if you chose not to go home and change ?

Another hypothetical situation:

You have been cheated by a scammer. You’ve reported it to the Police officially. 

You are at your business, a Gym. You are wearing Gym clothes. The Police phone you and ask you to pop into the station. Do you go home and put on trousers and shirt so you look presentable and are dressing appropriately at a police station, or do you just go there ?

Are you ’Trailer Trash’ if you chose not to go home and change ?

So many people commenting that they think a police station is some bastion of ’social dress standards’ - its where people report crimes, where drunks are locked up etc...  the idea of a ‘dress code’ is hilarious !!! 

Dressing smartly won’t hurt and yes, it's more respectable to make an effort. But most people simply don’t have time for that when something happens !....  

I can see half of the commentators on this forum getting themselves into a right twist if they were to find themselves in difficulty without the correct ‘attire’ befitting of a ‘government office’ when they need to report their crime at a station etc.

2 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

I've said it before and ill say it again why do people use these agents, i have never used them just do your homework get all the docs together and  do it yourself its not hard.

These agents are doing dodgy stuff and dont care at all about you at all

People use agents for some very simple and basic reasons. 

1) Queueing - Agents cut the queue time down significantly

2) Shortcuts - Agents smooth things out and perhaps reduce the hoop jumping

3) Funds - Agents may help with the ‘seasoned bank requirements'

4) Visa type - Agents my help people get ED visas or Volunteer Visas which would otherwise be too difficult to come by

Ultimately Agents help those who are unsure of the requirements and steps or those who need some flexibility or to circumnavigate bureaucratic check box. 

Reminds me how i was conned out of 17000 THB by a thai travel agent.

I booked a ticket with her and she asked me for a deposit. i handed her

the full amount of the ticket, thinking to myself it will be perfectly safe to do so.

why the hell was i thinking so, you might ask?

well, behind her was a wall covered with hundreads of passport photos of people

from ym country. i was thinking that if so many customers from my country trusted her

and were happy enough to give her their photos, she must be trustworthy.

So what happaned, you might ask, how did she get away with it?

Well, two days later when i came to her quasan rd. office to collect my ticket, the

whole office disapeared. the computers, the desks, and the lady, all gone.

Only that wall with the hundreads of passport photo remained in the empty room

Strange thing it that few weeks later she called me and cried on the phone: I DID

NOT STEAL YOUR MONEY !! I DID NOT STEAL YOUR MONEY !!!

i kept the receipt though.

11 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

As I look at the picture, it makes me think that the man might come directly from his ballet class.

That’s a bit posh for a scruffy looking guy in a wife beater vest ! Obviously hasn’t the sense to dress respectably if you are looking for a assistance from the RTP... no wonder they get scammed so easily .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaisabai said:

totally agree

thaisabai

He works at a gym and was working when the police called and took him to the police station so no time to change. You judged by not knowing the true facts the article is about foreigners being conned it us not about what they ate wearing at the police station 

13 hours ago, thaisabai said:

looking at the second picture, the farang with red trousers and sleeveless shirt and tattoos all over - you should be ashamed to present yourself to police like this !

thaisabai 

why that man? whats so special about corrupt thai police?

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sanctimonious much ? you’d have him a suit ?? - OK hyperbolae...

You are not one of these who suggest Cargo Shorts and T-shirt are disrespectful ‘of the establishment’ are you ?

He has to wear at least Trousers, and a collared Polo Shirt to pay respect and deference to the establishment ?

It pays dividends to dress well when going anywhere official. I wear a raw silk jacket, black trousers, black leather shoes and a tie when going to the bank, council office, or the IO. I see other falang dressed in shorts and t-shirts, usually unshaven, looking at me with amused astonishment but Then they are still looking when, having arrived after them, I have finished my business and am out the door while they, having been attended to before me, are still awaiting a decision. The standard of dress amongst falang is usually so poor that those who dress well and show respect are remembered positively by officials and should some small problem arise they bend over backwards to help, they have long memories regarding etiquette, they don't forget.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

They had been trying to extend Non-B visas and doing the other paperwork with some placing deposits in the 10,000 baht range and others laying down 100,000 baht or more

100,000 baht for what exactly?

that's a lot of greased palms/

• Like 2

I guess it goes without saying that this story is at least one of the reasons many of us choose to learn the immigration law and represent ourselves whenever possible. 

Certainly some can't for various reasons and legitimate agents are available. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fruitman said:

Speaking for myself i have never ever heard anything good about Thai lawyers.

Obviously never met mine who I have been using for almost fourteen years.

Provides excellent and professional service to many friends and contacts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are not one of these who suggest Cargo Shorts and T-shirt are disrespectful ‘of the establishment’ are you ?

He has to wear at least Trousers, and a collared Polo Shirt to pay respect and deference to the establishment ?

If you are seeking redress of a scam it does make sense to show a little respect by dressing other than as if you are going to your favourite beer bar in hope of a pick up.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

It is now totally clear that they do no longer require any dress code in niether police stations nor immigration offices.

As I look at the picture, it makes me think that the man might come directly from his ballet class.

Why bother to show those retrograde officials the respect of dressing up? What have they ever done to deserve that respect? 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think that is a bit unfair.  Personally I gave up the suit, shirt and tie when I retired but I do subscribe to a decent minimum level of respectful dress when visiting certain offices in Thailand especially when asking for assistance.  The guy in red even looks as though he is sweating!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1