Gun regulation in thailand.

StickiRice

Hi all, I'm doing some comparisons of gun cultures in a few countries and trying to find good relative information about this topic in Thailand has been more or less of a headache lol.  

My main question, What parts of the firearm are considered controlled or regulated in Thailand? 

In some countries such as the US, the lower reciever is considered the gun with all other parts unregulated. Other countries out there do not regulate the receivers but rather the pressure bearing parts such as the barrel, trunion, etc. 

Real life example: say a person in Thailand has a legally registered glock handgun, would he or she be able to buy a new barrel to replace the existing one or would said barrel need an additional firearm license because it's technically considered a gun? 

15 minutes ago, StickiRice said:

My main question, What parts of the firearm are considered controlled or regulated in Thailand? 

say a person in Thailand has a legally registered Glock handgun, would he or she be able to buy a new barrel to replace the existing one 

Just the whole gun I believe Thailand has strict gun laws.

They are even stricter when it comes to foreigners.

If you buy a part for gun thats registered and it alters the gun I believe have to notify the firearms dept.

http://thailawforum.com/database1/thailand-gun-law.html  

7 hours ago, quake said:

So you only know two Thai males then.

I don't think you realise how many guns and how common it is with thai males in public to have guns in their car or their little man bags. And how many teenagers who has it.

There is a sh*t ton of homemade fully functional guns out on the streets, but also tons of proper factory made ones of course.

you can buy them on facebook,twitter,youtube. Some full auto. 22./9mm/380. Etc. Pistols firing 12 gauge shells too. These homemade/illegally made guns costs around 3,000 - 5,000 baht.  Theres tons of these guns for cheap money.

Edited by ta158
Wrote wrong
  • Thanks 2

On 11/9/2020 at 11:21 AM, StickiRice said:

Hi all, I'm doing some comparisons of gun cultures in a few countries and trying to find good relative information about this topic in Thailand has been more or less of a headache lol.  

In some countries such as the US, the lower reciever is considered the gun with all other parts unregulated. Other countries out there do not regulate the receivers but rather the pressure bearing parts such as the barrel, trunion, etc. 

Real life example: say a person in Thailand has a legally registered glock handgun, would he or she be able to buy a new barrel to replace the existing one or would said barrel need an additional firearm license because it's technically considered a gun? 

The regs here are - on paper - very strict about parts. A new barrel would require either a new license if keeping the old barrel, or amending the existing license if not. In practice few if any will bother. Parts like trigger groups, sears, disconnectors, hammers etc are also controlled [both in terms of US export ITAR regs and Thailand import regs]. 

Before the present Junta took control of everything.

A foreigner could buy and register a firearm.

It was not easy but possible.

That cannot be done now.

The only way now is for your wife to buy one and you can use on a range with her being with you.

If you want to know more.

Go to a police station 

Most times you will find them very helpful.

There is a lot more but that is the basics.

Back to your question.

You cannot have in your possession any part of a firearm or ammuniton.

That even means a empty fired cartridge.

What a Thai citizen has, can or not do is irrelevant to your question.

Hope this is of some help.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, Jdiddy said:

I was kinda under the impression I could buy M16s directly from the Thai army if i really wanted to

Many years ago whilst living in remote Northern Thailand I was offered a handgun for 30,000 baht - no questions asked.

• Like 1

Grandfather in law gave me one before he died.

I live in a quiet place, with good neighbors.  I did not like the weapons, but I know how to use them and I assure you that I would have no problem taking it out if my family or myself, saw me threatened with another weapon.  You will never know...

Edited by Tarteso

On 11/9/2020 at 6:43 AM, BritManToo said:

Thais don't follow any laws, and the police don't enforce them.

Thai law, you must wear a helmet on a m/c, I hardly ever wear a helmet and live right next to the police station.

Might depend of where in the country you live, and if you are driving in daytime – when police make road-checks – or mainly drive at night. Helmets – or rather lack of same – are big business for the police where I live...????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, quake said:

20 years here, never had a gun pulled on me.

the few Thai males i know, don't have or carry guns.

I think your post indicates the type of people you hang out with or the bar you drink in.

Sure there are guns around, but not every Thai male has one.

Think your find more machete type knives than guns in cars.

''but not every Thai male has one.'' i never said that. but your previous comment it seem like you dont know how common guns is here, all types of people have guns here not only thugs.

majority of people have not had a gun pulled on them,  you never had a gun pulled on you does that mean thailand has little guns?

there is around 6 million registered guns, and around 4 million unregistered ones, but who knows how many unregistered there really is when alot of people make them at home and sell them and there is loads of guns coming from cambodia and myanmar smuggled in to thailand.

yes machetes and knifes are more but guns is not uncommon exactly in cars or under the seat of bikes.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I know that guns are all the place.

My thing is I would like to own a gun here like I did in England but it's far too expensive to be legal. 

Most here like yourself know the law only comes into affect when something happens. ????

Handguns were made illegal to own by the general public in the UK, only rifles/shotguns were allowed if you could prove that you had land and permission to use it on.

Humane killer/weapons were again regulated and had to be on a licence, as were any add-ons such as moderators etc.

Ammunition was limited and specified on the licence, how many of each calibre could be bought and stored.

Home-loads were also regulated.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Handguns were made illegal to own by the general public in the UK, only rifles/shotguns were allowed if you could prove that you had land and permission to use it on.

Humane killer/weapons were again regulated and had to be on a licence, as were any add-ons such as moderators etc.

Ammunition was limited and specified on the licence, how many of each calibre could be bought and stored.

Home-loads were also regulated.

Your generalizing that is not exactly the positon in UK.

I believe the UK has the most strictest gun laws in the world though.

In Northern Ireland you can own a handgun.

In England I owned many Shotguns and kept them at home no trouble at all and I could buy as many different shotgun cartridge type loads that I wanted. 

I bought a shogun initially for protection because of the Hungerford massacre but got interested in rough shooting and the sport clay pigeon shooting.

I liked range handgun shooting but never owned a handgun legally, I had a deactivated Glock also a flintlock pistol which could fire which you didn't need a licence for.

I can get a gun in Thailand but it wouldn't be legal.

Even air-rifles here in Thailand need a licence.

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

In England I owned many Shotguns and kept them at home no trouble at all and I could buy as many different shotgun cartridge type loads that I wanted. 

So you didn't have a shotgun licence?

That means you were illegal, as was the person/shop that sold you the shotguns.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So you didn't have a shotgun licence?

That means you were illegal, as was the person/shop that sold you the shotguns.

Of course I had shotgun licence you couldn't buy from a shop unless you had one. 

Don't know where you're going with this if you had guns in UK you would know what posting about. 

I used to own many shotguns and 'disguised' weapons in the UK. I had a section 4 firearms licence which allowed me to collect (but not fire) all manner of disguised weapons, pen pistols, walking stick and umbrella shotguns etc etc.  A most-interesting collection that I donated to the Tower of London armoury when I moved to Thailand.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Your generalizing that is not exactly the positon in UK.

I believe the UK has the most strictest gun laws in the world though.

In Northern Ireland you can own a handgun.

I bought a shogun initially for protection because of the Hungerford massacre but got interested in rough shooting and the sport clay pigeon shooting.

I liked range handgun shooting but never owned a handgun legally, I had a deactivated Glock also a flintlock pistol which could fire which you didn't need a licence for.

I can get a gun in Thailand but it wouldn't be legal.

Even air-rifles here in Thailand need a licence.

The knee-jerk reaction from the Government after the Hungerford incident made it compulsory for shotguns to be stored in a secure cabinet. My home county, Cheshire, said a steel cabinet, neighbouring county Staffordshire stated wooden cabinet.

Edited by roo860

On 11/9/2020 at 11:21 AM, StickiRice said:

I'm your huckleberry.

https://goo.gl/maps/RuzJibm5TUZufi9K9

https://goo.gl/maps/SSBvCqknj8xDNqaa8

https://goo.gl/maps/rRCQ1BAAPruZ5ogs8

https://goo.gl/maps/mDpH92xJ1f3xzGJv8

there is a massive gun culture here. common to see polo shirts with Glock logos. 

https://goo.gl/maps/jUmADqGsgKGYJqkh6

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

The knee-jerk reaction from the Government after the Hungerford incident made it compulsory for shotguns to be stored in a secure cabinet. My home county, Cheshire, said a steel cabinet, neighbouring county Staffordshire stated wooden cabinet.

I was just correcting a post about UK gun-law,  and now the thread is going off topic.    

Who cares about cabinets they didn't happen in Harrow Middlesex and it wasn't until I moved Watford Hertfordshire that a gun cabinet was required. 

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I was just correcting a post about UK gun-law,  and now the thread is going off topic.    

Who cares about cabinets they didn't happen in Harrow Middlesex and it wasn't until I moved Watford Hertfordshire that a gun cabinet was 

Deleted 

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 1