How Much for a Decent Life in Thailand?

Neeranam

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I remember writing similar things when I joined this forum. Things change, good luck. 

Looking back, I was living in a horrible house for 3,000 a month and driving a 50,000 baht car, which I had borrowed the cash. Living hand to mouth is not fun, regardless of what I told myself, and others. 30k a month is NOT enough to live a decent life. For a few years you could get by if single. 

Yeah,You are not able to live good life whatever You spend .I have great life here and I am socialized well. Even 30 K is too much if I do not have extra expenses.

I have great pension from EU and savings but I spend only about 30%.I do not need a car.I think that You like talking about money ,cos. You do not have other skills so "money is only way to show people that You are here".Very sad and poor way to live, as I think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vukovar77 said:

Yeah,You are not able to live good life whatever You spend .I have great life here and I am socialized well. Even 30 K is too much if I do not have extra expenses.

I have great pension from EU and savings but I spend only about 30%.I do not need a car.I think that You like talking about money ,cos. You do not have other skills so "money is only way to show people that You are here".Very sad and poor way to live, as I think.

I mentioned people like you in the OP. 30k is enough if you slaved in a factory in Detroit/Manchester for 40 years before coming here.

This thread is for young people thinking of making a life/family here, not oldies doing it for something to pass the day.

When I need psychoanalysis, I have the money to get a real therapist; please keep your thoughts about my 'skills' to yourself and stay on topic. 

Are you even a teacher? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sorry, no.

I'm looking at a Mazda 2 for my daughter. I saw a 6 -year old one for 250,000 baht. this is a decent car and will not have monthly repair bills like an older one. 

250k baht is a bit too expensive for me to buy, considering the fact that i can only stay in thailand 8 months a year. So if i were to buy a car it would be max for 100k. You talk about the older it is, the more repair costs it will have, since i dont know much about cars im thinking wether it has something to do with how many km it has driven, on the website one2car you can see the "mileage" of how much the car has driven, i assume the number shown on there is kilometers right? if so, isnt that what makes the difference and not how old the car is? How many kilometers do u think a car for 100k baht max should have driven before its a good deal? and how much should i expect in repair costs per month? i find this solution better to me than the risk of having to get a 250k baht car stolen when im not in thailand for 4 months, thanks

7 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

Good for you if you are able to live happily on 30K a month.

However, you also say you have a 'great pension' and savings. That implies you worked for 20+ years in your home country on a reasonable salary (whatever that might have been) before moving to Thailand. So it's your choice to live modestly: you are not forced to do so by lack of funds, and if you need more money, you have plenty available.

The point of this thread was to discuss what a young person just embarking on their working life might need to earn, here in Thailand, if they want to be in your position in 20 years (ie financially secure). 30K a month would be wholly insufficient for anyone hoping to save money for their future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

So you're basically saying that you have an income of around 100K pm, are able to live on 30K pm and you save 70K per month for your future/estate...  

Good for you, but that is completely different to saying that somebody could move to Thailand at a young age, and earn/live on 30K pm with no savings/thoughts for their future.

Some of us are giving out honest information about what our cost of living are & you view that as in some way "Showing off", if we wanted to "Show off" we would boast about how much our income is, not how much we spend... Oh wait a minute, that's exactly what you did 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:02 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well guys I live in the west  (what you call a granny state )

I could laugh at you. I have no money in the bank (thanks to Thailand)

Just live on me pension,no house, pay rent and every thing else.

I cook at home every day and still can come to Thailand twice a year.

I couldnt think of anything worse than your situation. no offense. Living in the nanny state of oz as a renter is like pushing <deleted> up a hill. Besides this there are too many australians there

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Good for you if you are able to live happily on 30K a month.

However, you also say you have a 'great pension' and savings. That implies you worked for 20+ years in your home country on a reasonable salary (whatever that might have been) before moving to Thailand. So it's your choice to live modestly: you are not forced to do so by lack of funds, and if you need more money, you have plenty available.

The point of this thread was to discuss what a young person just embarking on their working life might need to earn, here in Thailand, if they want to be in your position in 20 years (ie financially secure). 30K a month would be wholly insufficient for anyone hoping to save money for their future.

Yeah,but I live with my Thai wife and we have a condo. She cook domestic food every day and she like it.I can speak Thai. We do not need a car (motorcycle is enough  ).OK ,with kids we should spend more ,but not more than 40-50 K from my point of view. I do not live modestly. We live great life like a rich people in Europe.

• Sad 1

120K baht per month sounds like the OP is driving a Merc and eating at Western restaurants exclusively.

I have what I consider to be a good standard of living on 50K baht/month. Play golf, swim, massages, eat out for lunch, cook my own food in the condo, have it cooked for me at my GF's house. I could probably knock my costs down to 35K/month, see no reason to. Have a scooter and car.

I definitely consider Thai food to be better for me. When I go back to Australia, I balloon out to 100 kg. I get back to 90 kg when I return to Thailand.

I have a decent life, where else could I get a GF 23 years younger than me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did the teaching game in Bangkok a long time ago.  Was not interested in making a career out of it in Thailand.  In the USA, depending upon where you live, teachers can make pretty good money despite what is often said.  In some school districts near me a teacher with 15 years experience and a Master's degree can make between 115K and 124K a year.  But that's not where the money is at.  The money is in the pension.  After 30 years of service and 55 years of age you can retire.  For every year of service you earn 2%.  Your retirement is calculated by the average of your five highest years.  For example, say you earned the following amounts over your last five years. 118K, 119K, 120K, 121K, and 122K.  Your average is 120K.  If you worked for 30 years you would retire at (30 years X 2%) 60% of 120K or 72K a year or 6K a month.  In addition, there is social security which you qualify for at age 62 although if you can delay it you will earn a higher monthly amount.  This is easy to do if you invested in a 401K or a deferred compensation program that most government jobs have.  The key is also to have your house paid off before you retire.  

Although I still visit Thailand every 1-2 years for a month at a time I don't plan to retire there full time.  Most likely I'll spend 4-5 months a year there and the rest in my home country.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

Yeah,but I live with my Thai wife and we have a condo. She cook domestic food every day and she like it.I can speak Thai. We do not need a car (motorcycle is enough  ).OK ,with kids we should spend more ,but not more than 40-50 K from my point of view. I do not live modestly. We live great life like a rich people in Europe.

Why the need to repeat you speak Thai? How does this affect your living expenses? 

Wait a minute, why are you even posting here if you are not and never have been a teacher?

You probably wish you had moved here young and are bitter.

47 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Although I still visit Thailand every 1-2 years for a month at a time I don't plan to retire there full time.  Most likely I'll spend 4-5 months a year there and the rest in my home country.  

I plan to retire in Scotland or Australia. I certainly wouldn't be in a position to do this if I earned 30-50k a month here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

120K baht per month sounds like the OP is driving a Merc and eating at Western restaurants exclusively.

No, but do fancy a Merc GLA250, started a thread last week! 

120k isn't a lot with 2 kids at my age, wanting to retire at 60, in 5 years.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:02 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well guys I live in the west  (what you call a granny state )

I could laugh at you. I have no money in the bank (thanks to Thailand)

Just live on me pension,no house, pay rent and every thing else.

I cook at home every day and still can come to Thailand twice a year.

Were you a teacher here?

How did 'Thailand' cause you to be skint?

Any advice to young potential teachers?

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, but do fancy a Merc GLA250, started a thread last week! 

120k isn't a lot with 2 kids at my age, wanting to retire at 60, in 5 years.

I would still be working if I could, because I enjoyed it. Finding new relationships and solving problems in the physics and chemistry of industrial processes gives an adrenaline buzz, just as good as any athlete who becomes a champion in their chosen sport. Eureka is not just a Greek phrase.

I agree kids can drain the wallet fast, I gave my son a lot of financial assistance. He's independently well off now.

I'm not sure you are aware the servicing costs of a Merc in Thailand are 2-3 times that of the corresponding Isuzu or Fortuner, not to mention being 3-4 times the retail cost, thanks to import taxes.

Personally, I regard all vehicles of that ilk as ugly lumps of tin. I aspire to a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, although one can't get the sixes here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I've got it now. Man starts thread about money. Shows what he has to spend. Agrees with someone with the same. Puts down those that without.

Calls people "bitter", "skint" and basically tells them they are wrong or inferior.

This is nothing more than a my d$@k is bigger than your d$@k thread. A confidence booster.

Carry on. It's fun to read, for those that can see it for what it is.

I'm sorry you feel that way but understand. When I earned 45 k a month, I had low self-esteem and I tried to convince myself that it was enough for a good life for my family and I. You are welcome to not read but please less of the judgmental comments; you are wrong, this is not about who earns the most at all. It about young helping young people decide of they want to live the life as an English teacher in Thailand and if they can survive on their salary. 

The bitter/skint posters are not even teachers and one doesn't live here and the other recently retired here. 

On 11/9/2020 at 6:44 PM, Swimfan said:

Saw the title and thought it was going to be a question on how much do i need ? Like how long is a piece of string ?

Seemed to me to imply that only the most expensive is worthy of a farang lifestyle. Overlooks IMO that a Thai family might think they were doing fantastically well on 30k a month ( 2 adults working ).

I got by on 20,000 a month for rent, food and entertainment and thought I had a decent life. Just being in Thailand made it worth while.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Advice to young potential teachers-

No one cares what you think- you are only a farang.

Only work with a work permit

Always remember that pupils are not girlfriends

Don't expect to be the "looked up to because you are a farang" farang.

Don't fall in love, and use a condom- babies are a trap to acquire an ATM for life, IMO.

Live within your means and don't get into debt.

Enjoy every day- it's going to be the highlight of your life.

Good advice there ???? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why the need to repeat you speak Thai? How does this affect your living expenses? 

Wait a minute, why are you even posting here if you are not and never have been a teacher?

You probably wish you had moved here young and are bitter.

It does affect a lot my living expenses. Locals can get almost all on markets much cheaper than "farangs".Besides I have many Thai friends and my wife family live here. My wife does not speak foreign languages nor anyone in family. I am not teacher ,but I think it is good profession although and they deserved respect . You try to slander this people .I feel  still pretty young and my wife is 35 years old.I do not know what is Your problem ,but You should stop talking from high to people .

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For me, almost 60k in Bangkok is very comfortable, even with a small family.

It is comparable to what I was earning (cost of living adjusted and taking into account tax rates) doing a skilled blue-collar job back West.

I don't save much, but we live the "high-so life" (Joking, but I have lived worse here, believe me... tiny fan room, sleeping on a hard floor, cold water, dodgy neighborhood in Klong Toei).

Now we have a nice big condo, several bedrooms, swimming pool, near underground train. Top-tier (Thai) schooling for kiddie. No need for a car in Bangkok.

Granted, I'd like a holiday back West every year too, but I can't afford it.

I don't mind not saving much; my investments go up. I just work for pocket money. Never gonna get rich off teaching.

I have worked for 30k-35k before. And it is tough, especially with a family, even upcountry.

For a single guy in Bangkok, mid 40s would be fine, but you'd still want to have your fingers in other pies (stocks, crypto) to help with the long term net worth growth.

This topic has come up every week since TV was invented.

And there is no simple answer. Thai teachers earn less than foreign teachers, but foreign teachers have much higher expenses.

Someone said 120k. As a foreigner with no house of his/her own, car payments, health insurance payments, and rent in an expensive area, that may be correct.

For someone who has a house (or his partner does), has a car or doesn't need one, is happy with govt health insurance, 120k is excessive, and well in advance of what a teach outside of a high end international school earns anyway. Freelance teaching is not covered by work permit and is consequently illegal, whether it's face to face or online.

The amount stipulated for retirees is not even a good base line (60k baht per month, unless it's changed) for a foreign teacher - as teachers do get access to healthcare that retirees don't . But even that is way over what even a very experienced senior Thai teach would earn.

• Like 1

Survival? No trips 'home', nothing saved short, long term or retirement? No holidays other than a weekend a month in Pattaya? Dental cleaning but no repair. No medical expenses. Budgeted well and living almost entirely on Thai food. 30k.

You can make 35k to start with no experience. Work hard and raise your expectations average 3.5k pm annually. Jump jobs every two years (7k). 35-42-50-60+-75

Edited by kynikoi

On 11/10/2020 at 8:04 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

worked my way up to just under 70k

I make a similar amount. I'm married, pay for all shared expenses including two holidays a year. At a minimum I save 50% of my pay.

That's clearly a personal spending problem.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, kynikoi said:

Survival? No trips 'home', nothing saved short, long term or retirement? No holidays other than a weekend a month in Pattaya? Dental cleaning but no repair. No medical expenses. Budgeted well and living almost entirely on Thai food. 30k.

You can make 35k to start with no experience. Work hard and raise your expectations average 3.5k pm annually. Jump jobs every two years (7k). 35-42-50-60+-75

On this money thing. I'd just like to close out and say my actual monthly budget being married living in Bangkok is 20k and I commute daily. I do go over that on occasion. 30k is monthly average including our holidays, a few cases of scotch. Maybe some dental work.

I find no hardship in it at all although I must state that I never eat foreign food. Pizza once every other year. Burgers once a month maybe.

Food aside, it is definitely is more expensive being a foreigner. Speaking Thai helps little often not at all.