Elephant that died of injuries had 15 bullets in its body

webfact

Elephant that died of injuries had 15 bullets in its body

By THE NATION

800_196d296e8b6efda.jpg?v=1604904566

Photo credit: Forest for Wild Life_ป่าเพื่อสัตว์ป่า

Veterinarians found 15 bullets in the body of an elephant, which had been caught in a rut and was captured at the end of October.

On Sunday, the injured elephant called “Nga San” (short ivories) reportedly died of complications, according to the government’s Twitter feed “Forest for Wild Life_ป่าเพื่อสัตว์ป่า”. Its body was buried in line with an academic procedure.

On October 29, forest officials had tranquilised the aggressive animal and captured it in Rayong province, after it was reported to have been stuck in a rut.

Veterinarians from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation later found several bullets in Nga San’s body. They suspected that the elephant had been shot previously after it invaded human residential areas.

The elephant's injuries were treated by vets until it gradually recovered. However, in the last week the elephant had soaked itself in a pond located near the place where the vets had treated it.

The immersion in water for some 48 hours aggravated the elephant’s wounds. Nga San died on Friday from infection, despite veterinarians trying several medicines. Its funeral was held on Sunday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397607

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-09

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Great way to treat your National symbol

20 years ago I remember reading an inflight magazine and watching a short "Thai Airways movie" heralding the sacred white elephant in Thailand.

After I arrived I soon found out not to believe everything you read.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Are they going to try to find out who shot it?   Is it legal to shoot threatened species in Thailand?    

How are they going to find that out . It has been shot probable yrs ago roaming for food on some farms.

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Depends on your point of view...

Government may think so, law may say so, but when your crops are being devoured, or your homestead invaded....

The way I see it is we are only tenants on this earth, so we must respect the landlords, they are the true owners for without them, we wouldn't exists, as for crops being devoured, so are we when we pay taxes in a way.