Thailand on track to open largest rail station in Southeast Asia

webfact

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

government’s flagship Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) project that is expected to bring huge investment and massive infrastructure improvements the Eastern Seaboard. 

The numbers say something different

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I always look forward to doubling the Bangkok Hua hin railway in the next century

The station is absolutely impressive. As you say though even with the improvement to the tracks and new stations, the route to Hua Hin still doesn't look good for High Speed rail. Although  I have read in various press statements that the route is next on the list and not too far in the distant future.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 09.53.58.png

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, my understanding is that the long distance trains will continue to be diesel hauled for the forseeable future.

Bang Sue Central is a monster, I wonder how much of SRT's annual budget will be consumed by the air-conditioning, I don't see any solar installed on that massive roof either.

I remember reading that only the ground floor ticketing / waiting area will be air-conditioned (and presumably the underground MRT station).  The second and third floor concourses will not have A/C.  Hope there's some decent breeze allowed through, unlike the ARL stations which are horrible sweat boxes (with the exception of Hua Mak).

Impressive building though - I look forward to checking it out when it's open.

• Like 1

Tipped for completion in 2023, passengers using the high speed train will be able to travel from Bangkok to U-Tapao in Rayong in just under one hour. 

The bus from Bangkok to Pattaya takes around 2 hours give or take and cost a whopping 120 baht.....So one hour travel time to Rayong by rail is nothing to write home about....And you can bet at a much higher price....

• Like 2