Generic gift suggestions

shootrrdave

1 hour ago, shootrrdave said:

Food I'm good with but my wife is strongly against alcohol. ????

Might wait a week or so. Had a huge wedding in our front yard/common area this last weekend. 

I never buy alcohol either... I am not a drinker and the family has occasional beer which they can buy themselves... sure, wait a bit... was it your wedding? That might be enough... or how about an outing somewhere if not too many of them... a hot spring or beach or whatever is nearby... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

Food I'm good with but my wife is strongly against alcohol. ????

Might wait a week or so. Had a huge wedding in our front yard/common area this last weekend. 

You could organize a party in a local restaurant, sit a the head of the table that'll signal your footing the bill and will help with your local economy too, earning you more brownie points in your local community. If people want to drink then they can.

Why don't you ask your wife, she must know both Thai traditions, habits and the villagers that helped. I always ask my Thai girlfriend's advice about things like that.

Apart from asking your wife, the best gifts in Thailand, next after selected foods like Durian, or a basket with selected items – your wife will know what should be in – are gold and money.

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I never buy alcohol either... I am not a drinker and the family has occasional beer which they can buy themselves... sure, wait a bit... was it your wedding? That might be enough... or how about an outing somewhere if not too many of them... a hot spring or beach or whatever is nearby... 

Not my wedding and there are too many for an outing even if I knew somewhere nice to go. Our exciting days are the hour drive into Roi Et...555

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You could organize a party in a local restaurant, sit a the head of the table that'll signal your footing the bill and will help with your local economy too, earning you more brownie points in your local community. If people want to drink then they can.

No restaurants in the little village. Maybe somewhere in At Samat (10km) but logistics would be difficult. Probably around 20 people.

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Why don't you ask your wife, she must know both Thai traditions, habits and the villagers that helped. I always ask my Thai girlfriend's advice about things like that.

Apart from asking your wife, the best gifts in Thailand, next after selected foods like Durian, or a basket with selected items – your wife will know what should be in – are gold and money.

Wife gave me the classic "up to you". ????

Edited by shootrrdave
Brain fart. Didn't write anything.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Plus give each person cash in an envelope.

The problem with that is obviously: How much? And all the same of different amounts for several reasons?

And then there are probably some people who think "why not more?" or why does he get this and I get that. All possible trouble spots.

Personally I would avoid cash because of above reasons.

4 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I get that occasionally as well. I generally follow up with, "I know, but I'm asking because I would like your opinion too". And with that I usually get a pretty thoughtful reply.

I think in this case it's that she doesn't feel it's necessary to do anything more than verbally thank everyone. 

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

An large assortment of magnifying eyeglasses. 

I can understand your reasoning. Most of these folks are older. I've been trying to come up with something useful (rather than cash with its possible issues) and the best I've thought of is rechargeable flashlights. 

15 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

I think in this case it's that she doesn't feel it's necessary to do anything more than verbally thank everyone.

I was thinking the same thing and, if that is the case, I think she is probably right. Tell everyone thanks and how much it's appreciated. Then if they are ever in need of help, be sure to reciprocate. That's what good neighbors are for.

2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I was thinking the same thing and, if that is the case, I think she is probably right. Tell everyone thanks and how much it's appreciated. Then if they are ever in need of help, be sure to reciprocate. That's what good neighbors are for.

I think you (and my wife of course) are probably right and I will certainly make my gratitude known but I think I will also buy a big bbq dinner for everyone that we can eat at the house. Did it last time I was here and everyone seemed happy. Thanks everyone for your input.