Pollution

Misab

14 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Sugar cane, farmers will smoke out the country the next 3 months. Hua Hin got very unhealthy smog levels last year, for months in a row. Government will do nothing about it. Farmers can do what they want.

????

2 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

The problem is not that you cannot see the mountains, the problem is that it is prohibitive to breathe that air.  the military in power do NOTHING to prevent it.  After 10 years living in Chiang Mai, I have contracted lung problems, which I try to alleviate by escaping to healthier places in times of smog.

Me too I have COPD with less than 20 % lung capacity left and this is definitely not good for my lungs

1 minute ago, ncc1701d said:

The only thing I know about sugar cane farming is that in Australia they stopped burning them down many years ago. Not sure why they can't do the same in Thailand.

They can stop if they want to. Leaves and debris could be plow down in the field, of course they will need a real tractor.  In a time where the world is fighting pollution don't burn it, it kills a lot of people each year.

• Thanks 2

On 11/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Sugar cane, farmers will smoke out the country the next 3 months. Hua Hin got very unhealthy smog levels last year, for months in a row. Government will do nothing about it. Farmers can do what they want.

Sad  ????

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Because it is too labour intensive and costs more, even though the sugar cane companies pay them less for burnt sugar cane, they still keep up the practice, Thai's will burn anything, leaves, plastic, anything, it's as if they are doing it to warn off the spirits, idiots.

Exactly I wish it were the sugar cane!  These crazy people set fire to garbage, plastics, wood, dry grass, mountains and everything that burns ...SICKS

Edited by Tarteso

On 11/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, Misab said:

Why are there so much smoke at the moment, we can hardly see the mountains, what are they burning and where?

Wind is carrying it from Bangkok. Every year same-same, that's why I don't live in Hua Hin or anywhere in Central Thailand.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 19.52.57.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BusyB said:

That smog is why I decided that CM was not a potential place to settle. I remember seeing locals howking their lungs out on street corners. And after a trek in the mountains, coming back down the road in the jeep, as we hit the cauldron, literally from one breath to the next a transition between fresh air and smoke and fumes. That wasn't burning season by the way, that was the normal state of affairs December 2003. Never been back since which is such a shame because it's a lovely city in a lovely setting.

I smoked for 30 years, haven't for the last 20-odd. I didn't give it up to do that to myself.

But now Hua Hin? That was my seaside convalescence resort for retirement.????

I was in Prachuap Khiri Khan in November 2019, and air was quite smokey. I'm convinced some of it is due to local farmers, but more importantly the air that's being brought in from the east. Most of that dirty air actually originates in Cambodia, and Chantaburi, then blows across Chonburi( which has very unhealthy air in dry season), and then on over to His Hin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nickmondo said:

yes, there will be smog in HH from time to time, but nothing compared to up north

its one of the perks of living in Asia!!!  

just wear 2 masks

Yes, even worse in the North. It used to be okay from May to December, but now air pollution in Chiang Mai is permanent.

2 masks LOL

Edited by redpill17

4 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I was in Prachuap Khiri Khan in November 2019, and air was quite smokey. I'm convinced some of it is due to local farmers, but more importantly the air that's being brought in from the east. Most of that dirty air actually originates in Cambodia, and Chantaburi, then blows across Chonburi( which has very unhealthy air in dry season), and then on over to His Hin.

I think it's carried all the way from Vietnam and China. Just look at this pic - not a lot of burning in Cambodia

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.10.09.png

19 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

The only thing I know about sugar cane farming is that in Australia they stopped burning them down many years ago. Not sure why they can't do the same in Thailand.

Its cheaper to burn than dispose of the cast off waste.

In Bundaberg Qld. they built an incinerator that takes all the sugar cane waste, its used to generate electricity for the plant

In this country everyone wants a profit and no outlay

On 11/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, redpill17 said:

I think it's carried all the way from Vietnam and China. Just look at this pic - not a lot of burning in Cambodia

You can vcearly see burning activities on the left of Bangkok. Kanchanaburi and Sanglaburi are sugar cane provinces since the present government invested heavily in the ezport of sugar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

You can vcearly see burning activities on the left of Bangkok. Kanchanaburi and Sanglaburi are sugar cane provinces since the present government invested heavily in the ezport of sugar.

Yes, well noted. I think the problem is all these sources are mixing together. Bangkok cloud of smog alone is nothing compared to Hanoi and Chengdu.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, redpill17 said:

I think you're right in this instance. However once Cambodia's burning season gets started it affects Chonburi, and Prachuap strongly. Sling with all the <deleted> making its way from China, and Vietnam.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I think you're right in this instance. However once Cambodia's burning season gets started it affects Chonburi, and Prachuap strongly. Sling with all the <deleted> making its way from China, and Vietnam.

If you look at the burning around Hanoi, except for the eastern part of Thailand not much left when it reach mid Thailand. I live in Hua Hin area it looks like the smoke here come from west of Bangkok.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, ncc1701d said:

This reminds me of a popular YouTuber Thai woman who married a Korean man.She posts several videos of her daily work and life there.  Koreans have a very efficient and good set of methods for farming. I wonder if sometimes old habits are difficult to uproot here. I could be mistaken.

• Like 2

I have lived in CM 14 years. This year the burning here has started early and seems more than usual. I travel around the province often and this is the first time I have seen virtually every single rice field burnt or burning already. Soon it will be the mountains and forests. 

Every year those in power say they are 'cracking down' on the burning, but the last few years an outsider would be mistaken to believe they were actively encouraging it!

It's not hard to simply get some police to drive around and fine each landowner that has had fires on their land. They would soon stop doing it. It's not like they have to worry about votes and being popular now.  

They would make a fortune from the fines. Seems like something bigger has more power and money involved to persuade the authorities to turn a blind eye. 

People are so scared of covid virus and taking all these precautions over it...but the general population seems not to see the pollution from the burning likely is far more dangerous to their health. 

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I have lived in CM 14 years. This year the burning here has started early and seems more than usual. I travel around the province often and this is the first time I have seen virtually every single rice field burnt or burning already. Soon it will be the mountains and forests. 

Every year those in power say they are 'cracking down' on the burning, but the last few years an outsider would be mistaken to believe they were actively encouraging it!

It's not hard to simply get some police to drive around and fine each landowner that has had fires on their land. They would soon stop doing it. It's not like they have to worry about votes and being popular now.  

They would make a fortune from the fines. Seems like something bigger has more power and money involved to persuade the authorities to turn a blind eye. 

People are so scared of covid virus and taking all these precautions over it...but the general population seems not to see the pollution from the burning likely is far more dangerous to their health. 

The “silent killer”, smog kills 50,000 people in Thailand every year.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, Aspaltso said:

Bangkok was recently proclaimed to be the 3rd most polluted city in the world. I believe more people die from air pollution than from road accidents here.

And Thailand definitely have it's part of burning. I think for Hua Hin get a lot from Kanchanaburi area. or north of