Last week in the Consular team #10

In our last update, we were asked to share information about deportation and medical repatriation process. We just posted about the deportation process here https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1191250-deportation/?tab=comments#comment-15985600 More information about medical repatriation is on the way.

Now it's time for our usual updates. A lot has happened in the past two weeks. Our Prevention Team hosted a meeting with other embassies to discuss and agree on our next steps in our long-term work on motorcycle safety in Thailand. Staying with the motorcycle safety agenda, our Deputy Head of Mission paid a courtesy call on the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport last week to help our lobbying on this area. Prosperity Team also joined this call to address the UK CO26 agenda on low carbon transportation policy as well as EV campaign, and explored potential collaboration between the UK and Thailand. During this meeting, we also handed over posters giving foreigners advice about Thai driving licences. These posters, co-produced by the Embassy and Department of Land Transport will be distributed to DLT offices nationwide.

Continuing with the theme of engagement with Thai authorities, our Immigration Detention Centre Team visited the new IDC facility in Bang Khen last week. The link above has more info on the work we do with the IDC and the benefits it has produced.

Our team in the office was also busy, with 42 notarial appointments and 31 emergency cases, including a lot of back and forth coordination with Thai Immigration and London for a deportation of a detainee who was not allowed to board a flight. The IDC team had a lovely compliment for this: 'you have what I would say bent over backwards to help me – many, many thanks for all your help’. Another good piece of feedback we received was in a different form: an invitation to a memorial service from the family of a customer who passed away. These gestures mean a lot to the people who make them, and of course to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, British Consular Team said:

Interesting point. Do you prefer 'clients' to 'customers'? Do we need to review our use of this language? 

My wife works in the NHS and she is advised to refer to her patients as clients.

"Customers" suggests that you want payment for your services.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, British Consular Team said:

Interesting point. Do you prefer 'clients' to 'customers'? Do we need to review our use of this language? 

Yes I think you do. A client is someone that needs professional support/service. A customer is someone who purchases a product or service. So I'll leave that up to you, but if you help someone without payment they are a client. edit; Most UK govt offices, NHS, or an establishment for example citizens advise, helping the public refer to them as clients. Was brought in donkeys years ago.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, British Consular Team said:

Sure. Here's the poster we co-produced with DLT.726018534_DrivingLicencePoster.thumb.png.1da3463b42945a3cedc6c0fd52dad876.png

Thanks for that, a few on here have been neigh sayers.....

Another question about using a home country licence with an International Driving permit, is how long you can drive on the combo, I thought it was 90 days, others say different, so clarification would be good..

8 hours ago, transam said:

Thanks for that, a few on here have been neigh sayers.....

Another question about using a home country licence with an International Driving permit, is how long you can drive on the combo, I thought it was 90 days, others say different, so clarification would be good..

Yes, it´s a maximum of 90 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1