Diesel generator options

Hal65

Do you guys think a diesel generator would be a good backup power option in an apartment? I only need it to power my home office area during outages (normally in Pattaya we get a handful per year that last more than 40 minutes. Maybe 3 or 4).

I'm looking at this model: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kanto-5000-kt-d5gf-mkii-i693648863-s1328288804.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.36.2ae5628eBxK06M&search=1

As a loose approximation of what is needed, i would like to power for 6 to 8 hours: 50" 4k screen, computer, USB hub with 6 peripherals, modem, router, and an 18" Hatari fan. And maybe charging for 2 phones if the land internet is knocked out too.

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Do you guys think a diesel generator would be a good backup power option in an apartment? I only need it to power my home office area during outages (normally in Pattaya we get a handful per year that last more than 40 minutes. Maybe 3 or 4).

I'm looking at this model: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kanto-5000-kt-d5gf-mkii-i693648863-s1328288804.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.36.2ae5628eBxK06M&search=1

As a loose approximation of what is needed, i would like to power for 6 to 8 hours: 50" 4k screen, computer, USB hub with 6 peripherals, modem, router, and an 18" Hatari fan. And maybe charging for 2 phones if the land internet is knocked out too.

Just get a descent UPS.

With a generator, you have to worry about noise, transporting and storing fuel, heat & exhaust. Where you you put it, on a balcony? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Just get a descent UPS.

With a generator, you have to worry about noise, transporting and storing fuel, heat & exhaust. Where you you put it, on a balcony? 

Yes decent UPS would be the way to go.

My soundproof diesel gen set is outside but still produces lots of fumes from the exhaust. I checked the neighbour noise when it is running but OK. Not in an apartment though.

Don't buy a Doing brand if you do buy one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I agree, those simple portable units are LOUD!!

Even if you get a "silent" unit you will likely run in to issues with the management and bylaws regarding fuel.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I agree, those simple portable units are LOUD!!

Even if you get a "silent" unit you will likely run in to issues with the management and bylaws regarding fuel.

And by the time you get a decent soundproof, fume-free installation your into a decent chunk of dough, and you would still likely need a decent regulator using an SG gen-set, yes?

If you got one that burned LP it would be much better. Quieter, cooler, cleaner and the fuel is not messy, is easier to handle and you could even have it delivered, or just swap out the stove tank. 

But I still think a rightly sized commercial grade UPS is the only way to go in an apartment.

5 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Seems UPSes only last a few minutes. That's too bad.

Small ones do. But a serious UPS can power a data centre for a while , so a house (excluding water heaters and water pumps) for a day.

the problem is that for reasonable power for a significant time you are talking about quite a lot of money. That is why the usual use is to keep things running while the generator starts up.

7 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Seems UPSes only last a few minutes. That's too bad.

You need an inverter/charger, add as many batteries as you need for your desired run time. Something like this (not a recommendation, just result of a search):-

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/thaivasion-ukc-power-inverter-2000w-with-charger-12v-dc-to-220v-ac-output12v2000w-i493524946-s1409208395.html

Many others on Lazada and aliExpress.

You'll also need deep-discharge batteries (have a look at the solar suppliers), car / truck batteries just won't cut it. A 100Ahr 12V battery will store about 600 Watt/hours of energy at 50% discharge.

NOTE - Some of these units are quite slow to change over, dependant upon how robust your PC power supply is you may also need a baby UPS too.

NOTE 2 - If you are going to power anything with motors (fan) you'll need a "pure-sine" inverter or you will significantly reduce the life of your fan.

• Like 2