Why Pfizer’s ultra-cold COVID-19 vaccine will not be at the local pharmacy any time soon

snoop1130

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Probably more than one, if they pan out successfully. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and two others mentioned in the article (Johnson & Johnson and Novavax vaccines) can all be stored at 2-8°C, the temperature of a regular refrigerator.

I've no doubt that problems will be overcome in the future, just not over the next year or so.  

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are truly excellent.

They'll be invaluable for inoculating specific target groups such as health/care workers, all people in care homes, etc.

Outstanding vaccines.

I think the Pfizer vaccine will be rolled out in the UK quite soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines just to not lend themselves to mass inoculation programs.  Maintaining the integrity of a conventional 'cold chain' is challenge enough, but these vaccines require 'a frozen chain'.

Too perfect.  We need something that works in practice.

it won't be this...

https://www.wired.com/story/the-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-isnt-up-to-snuff/

published initially in the New York Times..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

it won't be this...

https://www.wired.com/story/the-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-data-isnt-up-to-snuff/

published initially in the New York Times..

I bet it will long run.

But I do eat my words regarding UK: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8985517/Is-December-9-day-Britain-starts-Covid-vaccination-drive.html

Pfizer vaccine initially.  Could be first country to approve and roll out the vaccine.

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, rabas said:

ChAdOx1 seems to be a standard virus vector vaccine.  The new mRNA vaccine  is a piece of raw mRNA code in a nano lipid ball.

You would think if man can create custom mRNA codes to program your cells and pack it into nano lipid balls, they could figure out how to work at dry ice temperatures.  It may be more a bureaucracy and logistics problem:

Work on COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution is “Mind-Bogglingly Complex”

But molecularly programmable nano lipid balls are OK....

They don't need to figure anything out because we have ChAdOx1 which only requires a domestic fridge for storage.

It's also much much cheaper to produce, distribute and they're giving it away at zero profit whilst the pandemic persists.

Why do you think the EU hates it so much? It's putting everything they've done to shame.