Visa extension issue

Hi, I have made a screw up and my visa expires on the 25th Of this month. However my passport runs out on 3rd december.  Should i immediately apply for a 60 day extension with my existing passport, then apply for a new one or should i apply for a passport and hope it is done quiickly and then risk up to one week overstay before getting the 60 day extension. 

Please help. I am really confused and annoyed with myself

Visas and extensions of stay based on them cannot run past the Passport expiry date (and for Thailand a Passport must still be valid for 6 months to even qualify).

I also believe any covid 'amnesty' extension does not apply to holder's of expired passports.

It appears your only coarse of action would be to stay quiet, apply immediately for a replacement passport, then PAY whatever overstay fine may be applied (if further covid 'amnesty' extensions aren't forthcoming) and hope they don't arrest or force your deportation.  Unfortunately anything you do will preclude you from extending your existing extension as normal, so there will be 'that' issue later on.

If you crossed your fingers an prayed to whatever deity you believe in, and even those you don't, you *might* be able to get a replacement passport before your current extension expires and pretend nothing was amiss, ...but the odds are not in your favor.

...also, it's best to try and keep this ALL under one open topic post, the mods typically don't like the confusion of having multiple threads open (especially ones short on fact elements).

...I don't know if this even applies to procrastinators, but

Urgent advice required
By Allstars, March 8, 2017 in Thai visas, residency and work permits

My extension based on retirement needs to be renewed on 10 March at the latest. Since my current passport expires in August I applied for a new passport on 20 February with the promise that it would take 10 working days. Because of circumstances beyond my control the passport isn't issued yet.

My embassy has agreed to immediately  issue a 1 year temporary passport. Can I apply for a new extension with that temporary passport?

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

Visas and extensions of stay based on them cannot run past the Passport expiry date (and for Thailand a Passport must still be valid for 6 months to even qualify).

There is no 6 month rule to apply for an extension. It only has to be valid for the length of the extension being applied for.

For those from many countries there is also no 6 months requirement for entry to the country.

Thanks for the responses. If the worst came to the worst and i had to leave, I noticed that People married to thais can return with a 14 day quarantine. Does anyone know if this is true and if there are any country restrictions. 

I don't know what country you are from but I am from Australia and I had to renew my passport and the normal time frame is at least 3 weeks but because of the lack of international travel at the moment from the time of application to the new passport arriving at my home in Khon Kaen was just on 2 weeks

6 hours ago, beldin said:

Thanks for the responses. If the worst came to the worst and i had to leave, I noticed that People married to thais can return with a 14 day quarantine. Does anyone know if this is true and if there are any country restrictions. 

Yes, it is true but it is a hassle and expensive. Check the Thai Embassy website in your country for details.

Your Embassy might be able to issue you a temporary passport. Or, you might be able to get an extension through the 3rd December (check first with your IP about this and whether having done so you can still request another extension once you have the new passport).

Do NOT wait past the 25th planning in just paying for overstay unless you definitely plan to leave. Once your permission to stay expires you can't do a subsequent extension.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:17 AM, RichCor said:

Visas and extensions of stay based on them cannot run past the Passport expiry date (and for Thailand a Passport must still be valid for 6 months to even qualify)

I was under the impression Visas could run past the expiration of the passport, but extensions and permissions of stay could not. 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was under the impression Visas could run past the expiration of the passport, but extensions and permissions of stay could not. 

That is indeed correct.

A few years ago had to carry my old expired passport (which had my Non-Imm 'O' Visa in it) together with my new passport......................... I think the original permission to stay would be valid - but obviously not any extension - which can only be approved to the passport expiry date.

I am still waiting on my Passport. If it isnt here by monday i am planning to go to immigration and ask if it would be possible to geta 7 day extention up to my passport validity date until i get the new passport, or at least to find out what IO think i should do. 

If i had to leave, does anyone know if it is possible at the moment to get a 90 marriage visa from Cambodia or would i have to return to the UK to get this visa?

Hi Again,

I got confirmation that my passport will not arrive before the end of my visa but it will arrive a day or two later. I have asked HMPO for a letter confirming it will arrive in the next few days. They said they will send me this. I plan to go to Immigration office on monday. 

Should I go to CW or MTT?

Can i reuest a 7 day extension to my visa to allow my new passport arrives. I will have validity on the only one until 3rd December. 

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Kenny

8 minutes ago, beldin said:

Can i reuest a 7 day extension to my visa to allow my new passport arrives.

It's my understanding that most any official interaction you do with an Immigration Office requires being in physical possession of a valid passport.

And my understanding of the 7-day stamp is of it primarily and specifically used to allow the recipient time to get their affairs in order and leave the country   ...   it not being used to extend the active renewal time of standard extension of stay.**

I don't know of anything you can use to help here, the only other avenues such as Medical or Judicial don't apply. 

**If you don't come up with any other legitimate/actionable recommendations ...you *might* try contacting an AGENT before doing anything to see if they can arrange for your belatedly received new passport to simultaneously have the old permission to stay extension stamp 'transferred' and a retroactive (post dated) renewal of the extension of stay. Note: I have never heard of them doing anything like this, but this is Thailand and enough brown envelopes can seemingly work miracles.

34 minutes ago, RichCor said:

It's my understanding that most any official interaction you do with an Immigration Office requires being in physical possession of a valid passport.

And my understanding of the 7-day stamp is of it primarily and specifically used to allow the recipient time to get their affairs in order and leave the country   ...   it not being used to extend the active renewal time of standard extension of stay.**

I don't know of anything you can use to help here, the only other avenues such as Medical or Judicial don't apply. 

**If you don't come up with any other legitimate/actionable recommendations ...you *might* try contacting an AGENT before doing anything to see if they can arrange for your belatedly received new passport to simultaneously have the old permission to stay extension stamp 'transferred' and a retroactive (post dated) renewal of the extension of stay. Note: I have never heard of them doing anything like this, but this is Thailand and enough brown envelopes can seemingly work miracles.

Sorry If i wasnt clear. I have my existing passport. They let me keep it when they sent my application. It is valid until 3rd December but i cant travel on it. If i coul get 7 days then i could apply for the 2 month covid visa. 

23 minutes ago, beldin said:

I have a valid passport that will be valid for 7 days after my current extension expires

Yes, sorry about my earlier post ...mention of the 7-day extension usually means being given a final warning to get out of dodge.

Your application (being only worth a 7-day reprieve) would be appropriate and technically valid, as Immigration should be able to grant a permission-to-stay extension to the end of the current passport expiry date even if that is only 7 days.  No need for agents or time travelling magicians, just an understanding Immigration Officer.

5 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Yes, sorry about my earlier post ...mention of the 7-day extension usually means being given a final warning to get out of dodge.

Your application (being only worth a 7-day reprieve) would be appropriate and technically valid, as Immigration should be able to grant a permission-to-stay extension to the end of the current passport expiry date even if that is only 7 days.  No need for agents or time travelling magicians, just an understanding Immigration Officer.

Yes that is what i am praying for. Should i go to CW or MTT

Maybe I have got this wrong and maybe it's a contorted solution but..

Do extension from 25th to 3rd Dicember

I have done retirement extensions for less than an year. Immigration wants to know why and makes you fill in a form saying that you are asking for that date. 

New passport arrives during this time.

Re do extension when new passport arrives. 

Immigration benefits from double fees for more or less the same time frame (give a week or so)

I would go and explain. Or ask a agent if they could do the first step, and you do the second. 

Good luck

17 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

Do extension from 25th to 3rd Dicember

I have done retirement extensions for less than an year. Immigration wants to know why and makes you fill in a form saying that you are asking for that date. 

New passport arrives during this time.

Re do extension when new passport arrives. 

Immigration benefits from double fees for more or less the same time frame (give a week or so)

I would go and explain. Or ask a agent if they could do the first step, and you do the second. 

Good luck

I don't completely understand your post. If your new passport is available less than several days after current expiry of you POS, I would attend imm and ask if you can apply for next extension after paying 5,6,7, overstay.

I have read reports of this possible. 

Obviously it only applies to few days past your untill date.

Please wait for experts. Hopefully Ubonjoe can advise 100%

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
34 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

I don't completely understand your post.

I think bigginhill was offering a suggestion to the thread OP (author).

Yea, if it were me I think I'd be continuously trying to renew the 1-yr extension, even if it only gave you 7 days, to preserve the ability to renew the 1-yr extension for the one year once the OP receives their new passport   ...accepting any other type of extension may prevent renewal ...but given the current covid-19 circumstances, who really knows what Immigration may or may not be willing to do for long-term permission.

7 hours ago, RichCor said:

I think bigginhill was offering a suggestion to the thread OP (author).

Yea, if it were me I think I'd be continuously trying to renew the 1-yr extension, even if it only gave you 7 days, to preserve the ability to renew the 1-yr extension for the one year once the OP receives their new passport   ...accepting any other type of extension may prevent renewal ...but given the current covid-19 circumstances, who really knows what Immigration may or may not be willing to do for long-term permission.

Exactly what I meant! Thank you.

Hi All, Thanks for your help. An update on this. I went to MTT yesterday, and they sent me to CW. the IO told me that i could not apply until i had the new passport and that i would have to apply for the 2 month extension before the end of monday as the extension due to covid would be withdrawn then. My passport is now on its way back so it should be here in time. So they told me i would have to pay overstay for a few days but they have accepted my application and told me just to come back to the counter with the new passport. 

Archived