Flight prices

Emeraldisle

I was checking flight prices for May 2021. Assuming that there will be flights.

I may visit Thailand or my Thai friend may visit Ireland ( Subject to Visa of course}

I only checked prices on one airline but none of the vary a lot usually.

Return Dublin-Bangkok-Dublin is Euro 530

On the exact same dates,

Return Bangkok-Dublin-Bangkok is  Euro 950

Almost double the price.

Does anybody know the reason for this?

Thank you

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Emeraldisle said:

I may visit Thailand or my Thai friend may visit Ireland ( Subject to Visa of course}

On the exact same dates,

Almost double the price.

Thank you

Yeah, " your " plane is probably as we speak mothballed in the arizona desert,the airlines still have running costs but no income,they,ll be using your money to merely keep going at this moment in time,and worry about your trip as time draws nearer,but don,t be surprised to recieve cancellation,good luck,and what ever you do,pay for it on a credit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeraldisle said:

I understand about the need to generate income but it doesn't explain the price difference

This is not only about "generating income". The most common reason for differences in prices are:

• one of the flights is already pretty booked, all "cheap" seats already taken
  • the airline is confident that the flight WILL be pretty boooked, so no reason to offer cheap seats
  • difference in airport fees, fuel prices etc., but those can not explain the huge difference you show.

Generally speaking, a flight from A to B will carry basic costs for an airline (landing and parking fees, handling, basic fuel load etc.). The airline needs a certain amount of booked seats in order to cover those basic costs. In order to achieve this basic seating goal, they will offer discounted tickets. After having covered the base costs, all other seats are profit for the airline and there is no more need for discounts. You will see this, as the prices for tickets go up the closer you come to the flight date.

As for now, the main reason is that airlines know that they will NOT have many - if any - passengers on the flight to BKK due to the current Thai government travel restrictions (including mandatory quarantine), so they try to at least get some customers with highly discounted offers. On the way out leaving BKK, customers are free to fly and therefore, they have higher possible volumes and less need for discounts.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 1:12 AM, Emeraldisle said:

On the exact same dates,

Almost double the price.

Thank you

Different markets, part of marketing strategy. BKK DUB BKK <> DUB BKK DUB.

Influenced by prices of other airlines from Europe to Thailand and VV, demand, etc'.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, Emeraldisle said:

I understand about the need to generate income but it doesn't explain the price difference

Its been a long time since air fares were guided by wither rhyme or reason... think more along the lines of forever fluctuating algorithms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:17 AM, Emeraldisle said:

Read the post. I said that "assuming that there will be flights in May 2021" I realise that it is now 3.15 am in Thailand. Perhaps there will be some more alert people on here during the day. Get some sleep. You obviously need it

Why the need for an aggressive tone?   Posters  are just discussing your topic.

• Like 1

There has always been a differential in prices originating in Europe vs those originating in Thailand though maybe not double.

EG, a good friend of mine lives in Jomtien and in normal times visits UK twice a year to see family & friends.

At some stage in the past he bought a single BKK-London and now, partly on my advice, he buys return tickets London - BKK - London, rather than the other way around and saves a packet! 

Also, back in the eighties, there was a "fiddle" with guys working in Saudi, getting tickets bought in UK, (which were much cheaper than buying them in Saudi) sent out to them, and using the return half first!  I know this to be FACT...please don't ask me HOW I know ????

It was against the rules, but some airlines turned a blind eye , although if you were caught by authorities, you risked losing the whole ticket ????

So this imbalance has existed for a long time.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emerald Isle, I wouldn’t worry about prices now, as depending on what happens next spring with border closures / vaccins etc , prices might change. I doubt very much prices will go up, as they are already very high.Loads of flights from Europe/BKK  will keep prices reasonable. Also, try and avoid May holidays . As for the price difference, maybe ask a travel agent or on TripAdvisor, I’ve had great flight options / ideas from  them.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, Emeraldisle said:

It has always been that way. Many moons ago I was sat next to my wife on a flight from BKK to LHR, she was on the outbound leg of ticket bought in Thailand and I was using the return leg of a ticket I had bought in the UK just a few weeks previously. My ticket had cost me £499 and hers was the equivalent of £750.

I have seen this across many airlines and with online booking very difficult to avoid. I have heard that it is possible to get the lower rate by using an agent in the destination country but may just be rumour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I have seen this across many airlines and with online booking very difficult to avoid. I have heard that it is possible to get the lower r

ate by using an agent in the destination country but may just be rumour.

See my post above, but take care you don't invalidate your ticket by using it "incorrectly"

On 11/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, Emeraldisle said:

Are you looking at 2 oneways or rtn flights? 2 o/way will always be more pricey. Plus all depends on supply & demand.

Many years ago I bought all my tickets in Bkk or India.

last few years same seat and class tickets almost double Bkk- Canada vs C to Bkk return.

must be govt tax? Usually flights leaving were full so I don’t blame the airlines totally.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You have addressed the wrong post or misinterpreted what was posted, merely hearsay, nothing else.

Actually, I was responding to your " may just be rumour" and pointing out that it's not just rumour - no matter.

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

Actually, I was responding to your " may just be rumour" and pointing out that it's not just rumour - no matter.

You could have said that, not that I am particularly interested in the validity,  rather than making an assumption that I need advice on how to use an airline ticket.

" but take care you don't invalidate your ticket by using it "incorrectly""

• Sad 1