Well known Thai YouTuber talks of "deserted Samui" - begs Thais to visit

webfact

35 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Domestic Thai visitors, which already are coming in some numbers, have other preferences than Western foreign visitors, so showing images of the deserted beach road in Chaweng – again and again – wont't change anything, it's a dedicated Western-tourist area, and it's Western tourists that is needed to make that as crowded as it used to be; it's however never were much crowded at night, except for the party areas, after the cozy market stalls with cheap-products disappeared and were replaced by up-priced brand name outlets.

Western tourists – and most other tourist also, for that matter – will not be coming back in numbers before the mandatory quarantine period is lifted.

its a dedicated tourist area - when i was there pre-covid there was as many asians walking around as westerners

1 minute ago, Thunder26 said:

That's the choice the government made. It chose to destroy millions of lives to protect a few. Was it a poor choice? The time will tell.

I say good choice.

I would not liked to have experienced Coronavirus numbers of similar sized countries like the UK.

The decisive early action by the government (unlike, say, the UK government) was a major factor in preventing that happening.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

Domestic Thai visitors, which already are coming in some numbers, have other preferences than Western foreign visitors, so showing images of the deserted beach road in Chaweng – again and again – wont't change anything, it's a dedicated Western-tourist area, and it's Western tourists that is needed to make that as crowded as it used to be; it's however never were much crowded at night, except for the party areas, after the cozy market stalls with cheap-products disappeared and were replaced by up-priced brand name outlets.

Western tourists – and most other tourist also, for that matter – will not be coming back in numbers before the mandatory quarantine period is lifted.

Ditto. I don't know why people are going to beach road anyway, is there nowhere else to walk? Thursday market near the lake is much more lively. And there are still some events going on at the Fisherman's Village.

Also, now that overpriced places are closing down, I see more street food and cheap bars with local music, like you'd find in a normal Thai city. Problem is there are not many people living on Samui, so most businesses can't just cater to them and survive without tourists.

12 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

The problem is Samui has a bad reputaion for expensive flights + high general expenses 

Not if you fly to Surat Thani or take a bus, and if you avoid tourist traps. I didn't find general expenses to differ much from Chiang Mai.

6 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Expensive flights because Bangkok Air and the "Consortium" monopolised the airport.  The ring road is horribly developed and now has diesel cars chugging out all the way around with barely a cafe length to the beach.  The remote side of the island is very poorly developed and lacks nice beaches.  Prices are high.  Whats to love?  

What I personally love the most on Koh Samui: the ferries to Koh Phangan ! ????

Overpriced flights to Koh Samui can be avoided by flying to Suratthani instead, the extra time spent on longer ferry rides is worth the 1000s of baht saved on flights.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

its a dedicated tourist area - when i was there pre-covid there was as many asians walking around as westerners

That is rightthere were a lot of Chinese as well.  Not all trourists were foreigners !!  Other parts of the island are quiet but definitely not deserted.  I live in the North and currently pretty much every villa is full with Thais or Expats from from Banfkok.  Perhaps a third of restaurants and bars have closed but the rest are still getting by , although with less customers than before.  If you run a business here,  especially tourist related it is a dire situation.  If not it is probably better than before.  Traffic is quiet and outside of the mai tourist ghettos restaurants are open and have dropped their prices.  For a visitor villas are much cheaper.  Even Bangkok Air are realizing they have to offer some better deals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

Overpriced flights to Koh Samui can be avoided by flying to Suratthani instead, the extra time spent on longer ferry rides is worth the 1000s of baht saved on flights.

Yup I know - thats what we usually do.  We also love Koh Phangan and I hope they develop it much better than Koh Samui or not at all ????

• Thanks 1

"Rumak,  why are you hardly ever on thaivisa anymore? "

"C'mon !    it's the same old posts over and over .     TAT said this,   so and so minister said that .

FACT :   there ain't gonna be tourists for a long long time with the restrictions in place..and added.. and changed... and added...and explained....and  and  

FACT:   members are going to keep posting stuff critical of how ridiculous this all is.    but,  letting the gates open will probably see the whole virus thing surface again and we will all be put in lockdown mode again .        THAT  you can bet on,  since just 2 or 3 cases and its STOP EVERYTHING !

FACT:    seems to be no good solution.    just one that i  really think is needed.   Let the retired people and  those with property and relationships back in !    

back to Netflix...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is ironic that islanders begging tourist to visit Koh Samut in a healthcare outbreak and in a  same time Koh Samui Airport and all country's private healthcare system in a pocket of the only person - Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, canopus1969 said:

The problem is Samui has a bad reputaion for expensive flights + high general expenses 

Agree 100%. During the good times they exploited the farang visitors, IMO and Thais know it, IMO.

There are plenty of places along the Gulf coast and around Krabi that have lovely beaches and reasonable prices. They also don't have to take a ferry to reach them.

17 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Yup I know - thats what we usually do.  We also love Koh Phangan and I hope they develop it much better than Koh Samui or not at all ????

Phangan was saved when the airport project failed, IMO. Long may Phangan be airport devoid.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:33 AM, Aeiou7 said:

Agree. Nothing better than a ferry or catamaran ride across the a Gulf of Thailand  

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is Bangkok Airways still ripping off tourists? I won't be going anytime soon.

Please define ripping of? Their airport. Their aircraft.  

If you wish to go to Suratthani and take the ferry it is your prerogative. No one is forcing you to fly direct. 

Same maybe said for Bangkok to Phú Quốc one doesn't have to fly direct?