Pattaya: High power electricity pole wavering in the wind - nothing doing!

webfact

Pattaya: High power electricity pole wavering in the wind - nothing doing!

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon reported that a high power electricity pole was snapped on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya.

But the Provincial Electricity Authority - despite being called many times - had done nothing.

The locals are convinced that the pole snapped in the wind and is now about to fall on someone's head or on a passing vehicle. 

6pm1.jpg

The base of the pole seemed to be in bad shape, just secured by a few flimsy wires. 

The pole is at the end of Soi 29/1 near the Mitr Yon showroom.

6pm2.jpg

Some locals called in the media to get some action from the electrical authorities and helped out with some pointing.

Poster on the story Prap W. said a tad facetiously: "It is right under PEA noses yet they can't see it. Weird!"

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-11

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Honda girl: Nice straight forearm, index finger slightly elevated and at a perfect angle. 10 points.

A tad overweight for my taste, but as you say KeeTua; a good pointer. . 

Nice Rolex.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

What about the ones front of Rompo market Jomtien 2 nd road , unless they’ve been fixed ?  And the crossing in front which is hilarious ! Worth a photo if anyone has one . It has everyone laughing, with its huge cement blocks in the middle of the crossing obliging  ladies  with prams / pushchairs, older generation to climb over them !!!! And what about wheelchairs ?? This one deserves a prize !!! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

But the Provincial Electricity Authority - despite being called many times - had done nothing.

Probably not their pole. They've got lots of crews and trucks and could replace that in a few hours.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, champers said:

If it is about to keel over I sure as sugar would not be sat next to it pointing at it, even if that meant missing out on getting my fizog all over social media.

It's not going anywhere as long as the live wires hold it up. Those reinforcing wires are strong and many.

I thought it was as a result of a collision but the tube at the front is intact so not. I'm guessing but manufacturing fault left a weak spot right there. Perhaps concrete not vibrated properly.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:24 PM, webfact said:

6pm.jpg

I'd like to see higher up the pole. If, as I think, the two tubes are in fact the pole stays that have not been used, it would explain a lot. They quite often remove them from the ground anchors and leave the poles unbraced. It's a wonder more poles don't fail.

Nah, don't worry it'll never fall.

It will simply be suspended by the myriad of power, phone and internet cables, of which probably 80% are redundant and non functioning.

Which if you think about it makes the whole process of never removing non functioning cable perfectly reasonable, since it supports crapped out posts.

It'll make you look at that cable spaghetti in any given Thai town or city with a whole new respect, as safety enhancement to your community!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Changed my mind. Those reinforcing wires should, IMO be more in the middle of the pole, not right at the side. One wonders what sort of quality checks they have of all those power poles around LOS during manufacture?

No. The reinforcing should be as close to the edge with sufficient coverage to properly embed the bars and privide protection.

The centre is the neutral axis and any reinforcing located there provides insignificant and inefficient resistance to failure.

The photos are not clear but there does not seem to be any ligatures which are required and especially so, when using small diameter reinforcing.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Like 1