Certificate of Residence and renewing drivers license in Ubon

MikeN

My 5 year license is due for renewal next month,  so starting to think about what I will need.

A bit of googling told me that (back in 2015) Ubon Immigration would not do a Cert of Residence and would send you off to the Tourist police. That would have been before they moved into the university office in town, so what is the situation nowadays ? If they do issue them now, will they do it on the spot ? Or do they mail them out like at CW ?

I believe the DLT office is on the northern ring road ? Anybody renewed their license there lately, are they doing appointments only because of COVID?

The DLT  website doesn’t stay anything about needing a medical certificate for renewing a 5 year license, does Ubon DLT agree or do they have their own rules ?

Anything else I should know ?

Edited by MikeN

I renewed my car and motocy licenses in Ubon last year. First time I renewed  in Ubon. I used to do it in Pattaya.

Went with my TGF. She had to show her ID and Tabian Baan to confirm the TM30 we did when we moved here a couple years ago.

No problems, we got it on the spot but it took an extraordinary long time for the IO to enter all the necessary info in the computer and draft the certificate.

The DLT is indeed on the North Ring Road. On the N side, have to take a small lane off the road. It is signed but you'll have to ask probably. Google it and you should see its location.

The Immigration office is on the Uni campus. Covid precautions but no appointment.

I don't think there is any appointment  necessary at the DLT. Just the usual Covid precautions.

YOU MUST wear a mask at both places!

Edited by jayceenik
  • Like 1

I renewed my 5 year driver's licence in March and several of my staff have since then.

1 Listen to seminar on-line (about 50 minutes from memory).

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home

2 Once the seminar has finished, you have to register on-line to join a queue to go to the DLT for final eye tests, photos and issuing of the new 5 year drivers licence. This may be up to two months away. They will give you a date and time.

Everything is in Thai and so you will have to get a Thai speaker to help you through the on-line seminar and registration. 

No need for a medical certificate. Just bring along you existing drivers licence and the usual documents. 

I know nothing about a certificate of residence as I have PR and I didn't even need my passport. 

Maybe pop along to DLT first and ask what documents you need.

• Thanks 1

I renewed mine last September in Ubon. 

When I did mine they wanted you to make a reservation online. I tried but but when asked for passport number it did not work. I took a chance and went to the office and explained the problem and they let me get the license that day. 

For the letter of residence, I was told to go to the tourist police. I did and I paid 200 bt but that was for two papers so one might be only 100bt. Their office is located on highway 217 (Ubon - Phibun) .

No need for a letter from the DLT for the tourist police. The DLT was packed when I went so you might want to get your residence letter prior to going to the DLT.

No movie to watch, only did the break test, eye coordination test and color blind test.

Can PM me if you need more info.

4 hours ago, TPUBON said:

I renewed mine last September in Ubon. 

When I did mine they wanted you to make a reservation online. I tried but but when asked for passport number it did not work. I took a chance and went to the office and explained the problem and they let me get the license that day. 

For the letter of residence, I was told to go to the tourist police. I did and I paid 200 bt but that was for two papers so one might be only 100bt. Their office is located on highway 217 (Ubon - Phibun) .

No need for a letter from the DLT for the tourist police. The DLT was packed when I went so you might want to get your residence letter prior to going to the DLT.

No movie to watch, only did the break test, eye coordination test and color blind test.

Can PM me if you need more info.

"last september" is 2 months ago, I presume ? That would be the most recent info, so thanks. Yes, I've already tried to register at the link Michael Hare gave, but no luck either ????

Would you have needed a letter from DLT for the residence letter if you had gone to Immigration ? Or did the DLT just tell you to go to the tourist police ? And did the tourist police need any proof of address or anything ?

Thanks a lot.

I just tried it. It works with my ID number which is the number on my pink card and on my blue house registration book. Do you have a yellow house registration book? If so, use the number on that. I doubt if it will work with passport numbers. 

"Last September" to me means September 2019. If it was September 2020, I would say "This September". With Covid-19 restrictions, many things have changed. 

On 11/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, Michael Hare said:

I renewed my 5 year driver's licence in March and several of my staff have since then.

1 Listen to seminar on-line (about 50 minutes from memory).

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home

2 Once the seminar has finished, you have to register on-line to join a queue to go to the DLT for final eye tests, photos and issuing of the new 5 year drivers licence. This may be up to two months away. They will give you a date and time.

Everything is in Thai and so you will have to get a Thai speaker to help you through the on-line seminar and registration. 

No need for a medical certificate. Just bring along you existing drivers licence and the usual documents. 

I know nothing about a certificate of residence as I have PR and I didn't even need my passport. 

Maybe pop along to DLT first and ask what documents you need.

need to show passport so they can see what kinda visa.....and that you are who you say you are

On 11/14/2020 at 9:12 PM, MikeN said:

"last september" is 2 months ago, I presume ? That would be the most recent info, so thanks. Yes, I've already tried to register at the link Michael Hare gave, but no luck either ????

Would you have needed a letter from DLT for the residence letter if you had gone to Immigration ? Or did the DLT just tell you to go to the tourist police ? And did the tourist police need any proof of address or anything ?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the delay in answering. They just said to go to the Tourist Police. The only thing I showed them was my passport.

5 hours ago, TPUBON said:

Sorry for the delay in answering. They just said to go to the Tourist Police. The only thing I showed them was my passport.

Thanks again. Shows what a waste of time these Certificates of Residence are when you don't have to show any proof of address !