any nightlife on the island?

35 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have heard that Soi Reggae has a few beer bars open but you risk being torn apart whilst being dragged into the bars.

Being the lone customer could probably be anything from great fun to a rip apart/rip off. 

I've once tried to enter a much talked about 2nd floor bar in Pat Pong, only to realize that they haven't seen a customer for days...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still in two minds which beach to stay at when I visit for a week in December (covering xmas and new year). I've booked a place in the middle of Lamai beach, as I was under the impression that there was a little bit more life there than Chaweng.

The photo-logs I've seen in Chaweng in recent months are depressing. But from this thread, it seems that Chaweng might be a better bet? I'm not looking to pick up girls, I'll have my GF with me, but Hush and a few places like that would be fine for me. 

Is there a few restaurants open near the entrance to Soi green mango? Say within 100-200m? I'm not fussy about the style, just as long as I have a few places to choose from. If I could stay within a couple of mins walk to an open 711, a handful of restaurants, and a choice of a few lively bars, then I'd be happy ????

Seems like Chaweng would be a better bet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corkman said:

Is there a few restaurants open near the entrance to Soi green mango? Say within 100-200m? I'm not fussy about the style, just as long as I have a few places to choose from. If I could stay within a couple of mins walk to an open 711, a handful of restaurants, and a choice of a few lively bars, then I'd be happy ????

Seems like Chaweng would be a better bet?

Not much, if anything at all, going on at Chaweng's beach road, but 7-Eleven by Soi Green Mango is open.

A few of the beachfront resorts have reopened with full service, perhaps 10-15 percent of them.

There are some restaurants open in Central Festival, but also many closed, especially those aiming on mainly tourists as customers.

Other areas on Samui are much more lively than Chaweng and Lamai – and also with open bars and pubs – and plenty of restaurants open. Driving on the Ring Road in the evening it seems almost all open from Nathon to Bo Phut, I just did the trip today.

However, if you are looking for nightlife like Chaweng's, you need a transport to get to there. It's hard to predict what will happen this New Year, or rather where people will head out for a countdown, but Ark Bar might be a good suggestion, if it's fine weather.

Take for example a look at Bang Rak, Fisherman Village, and Maenam Beach. W in Maenam might also arrange parties – little high-end – I often hear their music in week-ends.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

Not much in Lamai, last I passed a couple of weeks ago, one bar only was open in the boxing stadium square...

07Lamai-dashcam.jpg.072c33a7b65dd3654e1baa75659a8b5e.jpg–however I didn't check the sanuk-soi – driving by in car, the soi is for walking –so there might be a few ones active in there. But the area seemed extremely deserted.

Chaweng has plenty of nightlife, but limited Western style.

Ark Bar is open Friday and Saturday – might be more during long week-end – with the usual beach & pool party and fireshow...

wIMG202009042355_Ark-Bar.jpg.12fc852a93d0fb043237a2fbae0f00ed.jpg

Hush is open every night with hip hop-style dance, that's where most foreigners meet for a dancing party...

wIMG_0439_Hush.jpg.61a624b537684fbbb9f958b9071bd180.jpg

Green Mango Club is reopening after rebuilding at the long weekend 19th to 22nd November, aiming at Thai audience instead of the no-show Westerners...

123415459_4033378416691590_4119285156806844422_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=skp_YeZ8A48AX-cFYyG&_nc_ht=scontent.furt1-1.fna&oh=3da6e113ba07f31cd720f4989c6bf87a&oe=5FCF791C

Some of the bars in Soi Green Mango and Soi Sound are open, including a couple with live-music...

wIMG202009042305-Soi-GM.jpg.a5227001afee292b339dff49c5136bef.jpg

However, the crowded activity goes on in Black Club little further back behind The Green Mango Club. Out front in Black Bamboo where the Westerners – and the usual freelancers – meets for drinks and ambience music from early in the evening til late, whilst indoor is the fully loaded night club, with Thai-style disco and a lots of Thai chicks, who however might not be especially interested in Westerners; well, a few might...

wIMG_0184_Black_20200718.jpg.efc99ae255ffda2a4a0934ac70babefe.jpg

Furthermore there are a number of crowded dedicated Thai places around the lake, for example The Old School Bar, Paradise Club and places I don't know the name of.

Thanks for posting these pics khunPer. They give a glimmer of hope to those stuck in the home country like myself! It put a 'tentative' smile on my face seeing the Hush pic ????

• Like 1

I'm in Samui for a few days at the start of December, staying in Bo Phut.

Is there much happening there ?

I've been told there's a bit more going on there than elsewhere.

Can anyone on the ground there confirm ?

Cheers.

Samui is dead !

Most bars are closed or empty.

There is no life on Samui now !

Some Thai places are doing ok but that's Thai exclusive !!!

Most bars are happy to have 2 customers at the same time ... 

I have no idea why anybody would even consider to come to Samui for "nightlife" or "party" right now.

If you like empty beaches and empty resorts and empty anything then Samui is the place for you !!!

The roads are not empty though ...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Not much, if anything at all, going on at Chaweng's beach road, but 7-Eleven by Soi Green Mango is open.

A few of the beachfront resorts have reopened with full service, perhaps 10-15 percent of them.

There are some restaurants open in Central Festival, but also many closed, especially those aiming on mainly tourists as customers.

Other areas on Samui are much more lively than Chaweng and Lamai – and also with open bars and pubs – and plenty of restaurants open. Driving on the Ring Road in the evening it seems almost all open from Nathon to Bo Phut, I just did the trip today.

However, if you are looking for nightlife like Chaweng's, you need a transport to get to there. It's hard to predict what will happen this New Year, or rather where people will head out for a countdown, but Ark Bar might be a good suggestion, if it's fine weather.

Take for example a look at Bang Rak, Fisherman Village, and Maenam Beach. W in Maenam might also arrange parties – little high-end – I often hear their music in week-ends.

Thanks KhunPer. I'll be keeping my eye out for updates via posts like this. I've got got one of those "refundable" bookings so I can rebook somewhere else if needed.

Hopefully XMAS and NYE will produce a surge of domestic tourists during the week from Xmas to NYE (Friday to Friday), which might encourage a few places to open up temporarily, and presumably there's no shortage of GRAB drivers these days, so its easy enough to take a trip to a different spot each evening while I'm there.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

KhunPer - you always continue to amaze me with your stamina.

Hopefully the girls were not just out of quarantine and French! ????

555, after the border-closure I avoid especially French – they seems to have a bad spell on this island...:whistling: – and stick to letting only native girls hug me;  however, one of the good looking chicks is originally a he, but she's very polite, and we enjoy dancing together on the stage...????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

I am on Samui right now - and have been for quite some time now !!! [15 years ++]

Whatever pink glasses you want to wear will not change anything about reality.

Samui is dead - and yes I pass M&M and all those "busy" places every day ... just very rarely see them busy.

A mini mart with 10 thai people sitting and listening to life music is nice but hardly anything to write home about.

Samui depends 95% on foreign tourism .... and mostly western tourists ! They are not here for obvious reasons.

Anybody trying to tell anybody to go to Samui right now is delusional at the very best.

Samui will be the last place to recover after this plandemic is over [if ever] - dreaming won't change anything about it !

Yes. Until this year, Samui depended about 95% on foreign tourism. Stop looking at Samui with farang eyes. Last year, the higher number of tourists were Asians. Not farangs.

I manage rental villas. This month we are at about 50% of normal bookings compared to last year. Every November we are at 50% of normal bookings or less. It is rainy season for goodness sake. 10 years ago everywhere would be closed at this time for three months. Staff laid off etc. You should know that if you have been here that long.

Last month we were slightly higher % bookings compared to October 2019. Mostly Thais. They are here and they are enjoying Samui at much lower than normal prices.

Last Monday night, normally a dead night on Samui, I went into M & M's and Papa Joes (to meet friends). At about 19.30, they were quite busy. Probably about a dozen customers in each. That many customers on a Monday night in the dead season is pretty good. These bars are for locals. They do not rely on tourists.

My glasses are not pink - they contain beer.

Please do not get me wrong. Normally, nothing happens on a Monday night on Samui in low season. I am just surprised that we are as busy as we are. We have been a lot busier. (January 2020 - 93 check ins. October  2020, 64 check ins.) Everywhere on Samui needs more business. Thais do not go to pubs and farang restaurants. But Samui is not dead. Just parts of it are.

Read KhunPer's posts. He is more up to date on what is happening. I move inside a small area on Samui.

I went into one of my favourite Thai restaurants last night - I was the only customer. 90% 0f her business now is FoodPanda. The world has changed.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 21st...

124567805_10157307424761442_434190016418

This time, let's spoil the Hip Hip line ????????.... Yo Yo Yo 21 November. Let's party at ARKbar. Yo!! ????
Available every Friday and Saturday
⏱ Party starts from 17:00 pm-00:00 pm
⏱ Fireshow starts from 20:00 am-00:00 pm
Don't forget to join us for fun.
See you every Friday and Saturday

• Thanks 1

We had some fun at one bar which had 7 or 8 young (and not so young) ladies in.

The latter ones sounds like some of those that were young, when I came here first time...????

Ark Bar on the beach was open and there were a few people (a dozen or so?) inside but we went there to eat and so I would not expect there to be many guests at 19.30.

I've been several times to an almost deserted Ark Bar during monsoon season, when it's a little chill and windy evening it's not much fun this time of the year, even without Covid-19...:whistling:
I'll recommend to bring a hot chick not to feel too cold; might instead make you feel cool...????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

I've been several times to an almost deserted Ark Bar during monsoon season, when it's a little chill and windy evening it's not much fun this time of the year, even without Covid-19...:whistling:
I'll recommend to bring a hot chick not to feel too cold; might instead make you feel cool...

I am told, by those that go regularly, it kicks off at about 21.30 until 01.00 then the people more to Black Club.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

The latter ones sounds like some of those that were young, when I came here first time...????

????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am told, by those that go regularly, it kicks off at about 21.30 until 01.00 then the people more to Black Club.

I'm talking about later than that, i.e. 9.30 pm, but under normal weather conditions it's correct the party starts around 9 pm and by 1 pm people have always moved up soi Green Mango, today all the way to Black, if they don't make a pit stop in Hush...????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

You should ask a Thai person this question who lives there.

They have their own places with cheap and good looking girls, foreigners seldom get the chance to see. 

Black Club – inside – is the hot place right now, but don't expect all the gorgeous looking chicks are all interested in aliens...????

The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi is another option, when they are open.

Otherwise you can go to Dreamland, or Old School Bar, or Ma-Ha-Tea; but you might need to be Thai-speaking to have a chance for a date...????

If you wish date in exchange of baht, then there are plenty of karaoke bars all over the island – but Thai men like to make face with money, so don't be a Cheap Charlie, if you wish "good looking girls"...????

• Like 2