any nightlife on the island?

MrJ

Samui sandbox has made almost no difference as arrival numbers were very low.. 

Hardly any nightlife at the moment due to recent COVID outbreak. Bars and clubs not allowed to open, though selling food seems to help, as restaurants are allowed to open..

October might be a little different if Covid outbreak can be brought under control and infection numbers reduced. Bear in mind that is coming into the rainy season and October November are normally quieter.

Though to be honest things can't get much quieter than what they are now.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There is long time to October, a lot can happen, but you might still be able to enjoy a honeymoon candlelight dinner for two on a beach...????

2017-05_wIMG_7365_dinner-for-two.jpg.da9a89bf6e69b02968419fddfb7c74ab.jpg

Looks beautiful romantic place, thanks.

Which restaurant is that one?

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Samui sandbox has made almost no difference as arrival numbers were very low.. 

I expect more people flying to Samui after Phuket sandbox, than doing directly Samui sandbox itself, which is more like ASQ confinement. 

Actually, that is what we will do.

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

October might be a little different if Covid outbreak can be brought under control and infection numbers reduced

I think the chances of that are very remote. I'd expect things to get worse not better.

I'd advise honeymooning elsewhere.

Of course I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'd advise honeymooning elsewhere.

Our first option was Japan, but no way to travel outside Thailand and then again 2 weeks of sandbox ????

Since we must stay in Thailand, my wife decided Samui. However I'm open to suggestions. 

But not Phuket, since we begin travel to Thailand with 2 weeks sandbox there.

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

Looks beautiful romantic place, thanks.

Which restaurant is that one?

Santibury on Maenam Beach, it's closed at the moment, but have been reopened a couple of times during the Pandemic, so perhaps, but only divine beings know what the future might bring...????

Edit: They seems to have unique different settings for every couple, I often snap a photo when I pass a dinner set being made ready on the beach.

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Espanol said:

Our first option was Japan, but no way to travel outside Thailand and then again 2 weeks of sandbox ????

Since we must stay in Thailand, my wife decided Samui. However I'm open to suggestions. 

But not Phuket, since we begin travel to Thailand with 2 weeks sandbox there.

If you're in Thailand anyway then you don't need to make a decision until the last minute.

If things are no better in October than they are now then I'd recommend just delaying your honeymoon altogether. Do you really want the lasting memories of said celebration to be of things that you couldn't do, or places that were closed?

I've delayed my 40th birthday for 2 years now - and I'm somebody who won't normally even move the party to the nearest weekend when my birthday falls on a weekday. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

10 hours ago, Espanol said:

I expect more people flying to Samui after Phuket sandbox, than doing directly Samui sandbox itself, which is more like ASQ confinement. 

Actually, that is what we will do.

Hopefully things will change by then. October is almost two months away.

At the moment Phuket is locked down and there are no flights from Phuket to Samui. No domestic flights into Samui from anywhere. Only Samui Plus from Bangkok for Sandbox arrivals. Even coming by ferry now requires a Covid test I believe.

You can still visit some nice restaurants at the moment, and there are things to do and see, but if you are looking for nightlife and nightclubs I am afraid you will be disappointed. Even the cinemas are closed.

What you will find are plenty of very quiet beaches. Just hope the weather in October proves to be dry and sunny.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Espanol said:

I expect travelling there in October in honeymoon.

As others have said, no one knows what life will be like in October.

Pessimists will say that we will all be dead.

Optimists will say that life will be pretty good.

Regarding places being open, it is down to location.

Chaweng - everything is pretty much closed. Even restaurants. No International tourists.

Other areas - restaurants open.

Depending on the village or Tambon, even some bars are open. Bophut seems to be 'relaxed'. Chi, Coco Tams, Casa Libra all open as well as a number of the lesser well-known places.

Good luck to you both whatever happens.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phetphet said:

You can still visit some nice restaurants at the moment, and there are things to do and see.

What you will find are plenty of very quiet beaches. Just hope the weather in October proves to be dry and sunny.

At least we won't end up eating on 7/11  ????

I guess a good hotel on a nice beach with seaside restaurants nearby would be a good option. If also some bars open to have a cocktail would be great.

Which beach could be better for that?   Bo Phut?   Maenam?   Lamai?

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

if you are looking for nightlife and nightclubs I am afraid you will be disappointed.

OK. We will think about what to do at night. ????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

At least we won't end up eating on 7/11  ????

I guess a good hotel on a nice beach with seaside restaurants nearby would be a good option. If also some bars open to have a cocktail would be great.

OK. We will think about what to do at night. ????????????

The better beaches in my opinion are Choengmon and Chaweng. But Chaweng is totally dead as normal times it is totally geared towards tourists. A few beach hotels open and maybe very few shops on the beach road. The southern part is probably the cleanest part at the moment.

Choengmon is quieter than normal, but still a few places open. Bangrak, not the best beach, but some nice places to eat.

IMHO Fisherman's Village is probably your best bet at the moment.

Sorry but I cannot comment on Lamai, and rarely visit Maenam beaches. Others can give better info on those places.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Espanol said:

Bang Rak, Bo Phut, Choeng Mon or Maenam in my opinion, Lamai or Chaweng if you want to be statist in a dystopian movie set.

Bang Rak don't have much beach but a nice view and some action with open restaurants.

Bo Phut have a better beach and next to the cozy Fisherman Village where Coco Tams by the beachfront might be open.

Choeng Mon is an excellent quiet beach.

Maenam is a 5 kilometer long bay, some few resort and a number of restaurants are open.

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1