No mail to the UK?

I live just north of Korat. Today I was having coffee with a friend. He told me he had mailed a letter to the UK yesterday morning. When his wife went in later in the day they gave the letter back and his postage saying they were not taking any mail to the UK because there was a backup of flights out. Anyone else heard of this?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I live just north of Korat. Today I was having coffee with a friend. He told me he had mailed a letter to the UK yesterday morning. When his wife went in later in the day they gave the letter back and his postage saying they were not taking any mail to the UK because there was a backup of flights out. Anyone else heard of this?

Registered mail from Jomtien was working ten days ago.  I sent a letter to the Isle of Man and it was delivered and signed for yesterday.  I can't speak for regular airmail - there was certainly a period when only EMS or Registered mail to UK was being accepted.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

2 weeks ago I sent a parcel to the UK and it arrived in 6 days. My friend sent me a parcel UK-Thailand on the same day and it still hasn't arrived.

• Haha 1

My mailing company in the UK gave this answer   yesterday in response to a query regarding incoming mail to Thailand;

"At the minute there are delays within the Royal Network due to the restrictions.

The quickest method would be to use DHL, we are currently using these for our other clients in Thailand and the turnaround is pretty quick."

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Try a different post office. A friend's wife in Surin was told the same.

It is nonsense, you can now send airmail and surface mail - I have sent a couple of things to the UK and they were received in good time.

Agree try a different office, maybe a bigger one. Just another example of Thai inconsistencies accross government agencies..

I sent an A4 document to Scotland recently and it got there in a week.

I had requested EMS but they didn't understand so it went reguar mail, cost 37 Baht.

26 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Have you seen the price of DHL?

Yes, DHL, is expensive, but you get what you pay for really. Its trackable, has proof of delivery and to the UK takes 2 to 3 days.So if its an important document or package that has to get there, there's really no question!

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Have you seen the price of DHL?

For reference - I made enquiries with DHL here in Cambodia about sending a letter to the UK. I was quoted 74US$ (2,220 baht approx.) for an A4 single sheet letter. Fortunately Cambodia Post now offers EMS track & trace airmail to the UK for 37US$ (half the price). My two A4 letters took 14 days door-to-door. Still expensive but worth it for important pensions documentation.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Check here and Thai Post sill shows the UK (Great Britain) to send letters and etc.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/index.php?page=rate_result&country_code=GB&weight=30&language=en

Just a bit of additional info for those it might assist. My most recent all to US IRS informed me they have no restrictions sending mail to Thailand. Latest info on the IRS website says they sent me a $1200 check on November 16. I'll let you know if I receive it ... first check sent May 8, 2020, never received.

18 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Try a different Post Office

Nothing is wrong with the mail

Issue is that the instructions disseminated out to the counter staff by the Office manager often obfuscate the Head Office 'memo' along the lines of the old army jibe ' bring three and four-pence, we're going to a dance'

As always - Mai-mee, mai-dai, no hab, can-not, etc are a far more palatable stance than any declaration of lack of knowledge &/or competency

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Why not send by Fedex or UPS? Cargo flights never stopped flying to Thailand.

I would not trust international mail with anything more important than picture postcard.

I have received a new Nationwide debit card, correspondence from my pension company and HM pensions dept without any difficulty.

My wife was told the same in Korat when she tried to send a parcel by DHL. When I asked a friend in Bangkok about this, she told me her company was shipping documents and parcels to Europe every day through DHL. The problem seems to be poor information being supplied to provincial staff.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, Burma Bill said:

For reference - I made enquiries with DHL here in Cambodia about sending a letter to the UK. I was quoted 74US$ (2,220 baht approx.) for an A4 single sheet letter. Fortunately Cambodia Post now offers EMS track & trace airmail to the UK for 37US$ (half the price). My two A4 letters took 14 days door-to-door. Still expensive but worth it for important pensions documentation.

I returned the proof of life form via DHL took 2 days with proof of delivery cost 1,285 bht not cheap, i don't know the cost via other couriers but probably cheaper!

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Sent all my Christmas cards from Chiang Mai yesterday, the boy who took my money never mentioned anything about any delays.

There will be some very upset grandchildren to answer to if their money for Christmas does not arrive

My friend was sending a birthday card to his grandson. From reading the other posts, the problem could just be around Korat or the POs out in the sticks.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, wwest5829 said:

Just a bit of additional info for those it might assist. My most recent all to US IRS informed me they have no restrictions sending mail to Thailand. Latest info on the IRS website says they sent me a $1200 check on November 16. I'll let you know if I receive it ... first check sent May 8, 2020, never received.

Have you received the Social Security letter, "are you alive".  I got a return email earlier this year from Manilla stating it will be sent out the end of the year?