No mail to the UK?

5 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Have you received the Social Security letter, "are you alive".  I got a return email earlier this year from Manilla stating it will be sent out the end of the year?

I use my youngest  Son’s address in the US so I do not need to confirm I am alive. SS is direct deposited into my US bank account, then once a month I use that $1306 a month amount and draw the difference to bring about $2400 a month to my Bangkok Bank account (via TransferWise).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, bunnydrops said:

I live just north of Korat. Today I was having coffee with a friend. He told me he had mailed a letter to the UK yesterday morning. When his wife went in later in the day they gave the letter back and his postage saying they were not taking any mail to the UK because there was a backup of flights out. Anyone else heard of this?

I wasn't sure where to post this but I guess here's as good as any. It is of particular interest to anyone returning PoL ('proof of life') letters back to the DWP although the letter in this example wasn't one of them. I'll use bullet points for simplicity:

- At the end of October I posted a letter to UK via a new-ish branch of the post office in a local shopping mall.

- We (wife) asked to be able to trace it as usual.

- The woman behind the counter inexplicably started filling out a green customs declaration which struck me as odd, but when I tactfully pointed out that this has never before been necessary she 'copt a deaf 'un and because of this face lark my wife stayed silent....

- A week or so later I entered the 13 digit number into the online tracker and could find no trace of the letter(?)

(Fast Forward another week....

- We popped in to the same branch yesterday, armed with the receipt.

- The woman spent 15-20 mins in a kerfuffle & eventually emerged with a 'it's at the airport (swampy) and will leave today!). This struck me as nonsense and sure enough there was (still) no online trace of the letter when I looked again later.

- I gave my son the receipt and asked him to ring the 4 digit enquiries number to find out where the letter went and why I still couldn't trace it.

- The short answer is that there has been an almighty cock up and the 13 digit tracking number on my receipt started with 'UA' rendering it untraceable. I therefore do not know whether or not it arrived, was lost/stolen, ended up on a boat or is still sat in that office :blink:

TBH the letter wasn't important but I am flagging this up because it could quite easily have been something vital as explained.

I hope some find this useful.

Eva

(I am about to write an unrelated post re PoL letters which i'll post in the appropriate thread)

@theoldgit

Edited by evadgib
7 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

I am waiting for a security device from UK bank.

Was told it would take up to 10 days to arrive.

2,5 weeks gone still nothing.

Could be an issue with the bank. In my circumstances the bank would have posted it to my UK address and my friend would have forwarded it via Track & Trace.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...