Is Thailand deliberately trying to sabotage it's own tourism industry?

spidermike007

If they really want high end in any sort of numbers then they have to sort out transport, get rid of the wires everywhere, provide proper pavements/sidewalks, stop most of the tourist areas looking like a dust ridden Blackpool, get rid of the bar girls and rip offs. Just saying we want you to have lots of money in the bank wont work, you have to offer the correct product. Not saying that is better or having a go at sexpats etc. just commenting on what would have to be done to make this a rich mans/woman's playground, no need to worry as it will never happen, that would mean proper investment not take take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Why would a high quality tourist want to visit Thailand?

If you are that high quality and can afford to go anywhere, why would these folks choose Thailand? With all the latest and stupid requirements?

If you are a high quality tourist and not a sex tourist, what exactly does Thailand have to offer, that you couldn't find in other countries that are safer and cleaner?

I can think of 100 better places I would rather go as a tourist than Thailand.

Thailand is on a severe decline yet officials seem to think this in the only place in the world tourists want to visit.

Who knows if Thailand tourism will ever wise up, before the majority of tourists are lost forever?

Who knows what the latest idiosyncrasy will be next week? 500K today, maybe something even worse next week/month.

If you are a sex tourist you think like a sex tourist

If no high quality tourists visit Thailand why are there so many 5 star hotels?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

They just don't spend it on the important things like booze.  Venues that adjust to their new customer base will thrive. 

And if they follow the "Chinese tourists spend money in Chinese businesses, cutting out the locals" model from Cambodia?

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Aside from the North Asian market, Singapore, and Oz/NZ, I can't think of many other places where people would even be thinking of taking vacations anywhere...

I'm currently planning to leave a locked-down EU country in order to vacation in a not-yet-locked-down one, and I know a bunch of people who are planning the same.  Ticket prices are going up really fast for those routes: my preferred route doubled in price over the week when our lockdown was announced.

Only special requirement is some not very strict contact tracing.  Of course this could backfire, but so far at least a few of the warmer destinations are betting it won't.

I'm also planning to go to Thailand in January/February and have no problem with the quarantine (I'd go now but for family obligations elsewhere).  Obviously it would be nice to just have a few tests or whatever, but considering how jumpy the locals are I'd much rather just deal with quarantine and then be treated "normally" than have a test I could have bribed into negativity and then be suspect.

I have no idea how many people look at it like I do, and I know we're not going to make that big a difference to the tourism industry, but surely if lots of Europeans are happy to country-hop while it's still possible, then some subset of that would be happy to go to Thailand even with the various hoops to jump through.

And I'd bet the Chinese Jab is going to be a requirement for entry in 2021.  Maybe they'll let you take it at the airport.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
1 hour ago, impulse said:

They just don't spend it on the important things like booze.  Venues that adjust to their new customer base will thrive. 

And if they follow the "Chinese tourists spend money in Chinese businesses, cutting out the locals" model from Cambodia?

Then there's a whole lot of other Thai officials not doing their jobs.  Like enforcing work permit requirements, and keeping some professions reserved only for Thais.  And making sure that businesses are owned at least 51% by Thais.

By Thai laws, they must stay at hotels owned at least 51% by Thais, eat at restaurants owned at least 51% by Thais, take buses owned at least 51% by Thais, and buy their gifts for the folks back home at shops owned at least 51% by Thais.  And all those businesses must employ Thai people to clean, cook, sell, do maintenance, and drive.  And, by law, those businesses must pay Thai taxes.  If any of that doesn't happen, it ain't because the TAT isn't doing their part.

Edit:  Unless, of course, those businesses are owned by Americans under the Treaty of Amity.  But that's not the same thing.  Still, it should trigger some ideas for the Chinese folks who have become American citizens...  But they can make more money in the USA.

Edited by impulse

The fact of the matter is that the people making all the decisions aren't affected by them in any detrimental way and so it continues. 

In fact, if we were to break it down regarding the demographic of those who are most affected by the lack of tourism I'd bet a large % are the Burmese workers who appear to be on every island and tourist hot spot. Yes, lots of Thais and farang will be suffering but for thai, their family will join together to support each other and for farang, they really should have savings and/or have the foresight to plan for an eject situation if the <deleted> truly hit the fan. That's part of the basic 101 planning when you move to Thailand.

Tourism will return next year and it'll come back with a vengeance. The Thais are right about one thing, there are thousands of people waiting to get back to let their hair down and enjoy all the freedoms the country has to offer. There will be some who cut off their nose to spite their own face but those types wont be missed anyway.

Talking with my Thai family, thai friends and friends of friends who are not connected to the tourism industry and it's business as usual for the most part. So it's unfortunate for those in the industry who are suffering but there is also lots of suffering going on in other industries throughout the world such as aviation, oil and gas etc etc. 

This time next year Rodney.... 

10 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Why would a high quality tourist want to visit Thailand?

If you are that high quality and can afford to go anywhere, why would these folks choose Thailand? With all the latest and stupid requirements?

If you are a high quality tourist and not a sex tourist, what exactly does Thailand have to offer, that you couldn't find in other countries that are safer and cleaner?

I can think of 100 better places I would rather go as a tourist than Thailand.

Thailand is on a severe decline yet officials seem to think this in the only place in the world tourists want to visit.

Who knows if Thailand tourism will ever wise up, before the majority of tourists are lost forever?

Who knows what the latest idiosyncrasy will be next week? 500K today, maybe something even worse next week/month.

Why did you ever come here then?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

I have no idea how many people look at it like I do, and I know we're not going to make that big a difference to the tourism industry, but surely if lots of Europeans are happy to country-hop while it's still possible, then some subset of that would be happy to go to Thailand even with the various hoops to jump through.

Yes there is surely some subset of people with the means and will to travel during this Covid Winter...but as you point out, the numbers are small and will do nothing to revive the Thai tourism sector.