Non O retirement valid for entering in Thailand

As far as I know, until a few days ago, the non imm O visa for reason of retirement was not valid for gettig a COE and rentering in Thailand.

Now I see that, if I check the thai site that now it is compulsory to use for getting a COE ( https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ ) in the third page where they ask  the first data, under the indication "Types of permitted persons", the last voice is "Long Stay Visitor (O Ret)"

Does anybody have update/new information about the possibility to enter under non O retirement  ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP, the best place to get the relevant information is the embassy/consulate website in your home country. Its not much use finding a site in Thailand that says you can enter with an O visa if your home country isnt issuing them.

When a consulate/MFA talks about a visa, they mean an actual valid visa, not an extension of stay from an expired visa. Consulates etc wont be issuing O visa's unless you can qualify for entry.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

When a consulate/MFA talks about a visa, they mean an actual valid visa, not an extension of stay from an expired visa. Consulates etc wont be issuing O visa's unless you can qualify for entry.

A valid visa is not required to get a certificate of entry. Many people have gotten them that were on a valid extension of stay and re-entry permit issued by immigration.

I have already checked some websites and they do mention extension for retirement now.

20 minutes ago, Londinium said:

Yes, as I posted recently. I returned on my Non-Imm O visa with extension for retirement & multi-re-entry permit last Sunday. Absolutely no problem & RTE London very helpful. Had to show bank statements, insurance, ASQ etc.

why did you need to show bank statements if it's a non Imm O? 

Lets hope this is the start of some good news for some of us being able to return to Thailand but I do have a few questions if someone is able to help me out;

I am a UK passport holder currently working overseas in Afghanistan, I have a Non O with extension of stay based on retirement and a multi entry permit valid until early February. 

Under normal circumstances I would simply fly out from Afghanistan to Dubai and then fly on to Thailand, but under the new requirements would I have to fly back to the UK and get a COE from the Thai Embassy in London prior to traveling to Thailand? 

Does the COE application require a personal visit to the Embassy or is this something that can be arranged online or via email?

I do have seasoned finances in a Thai Bank Account but I would need to arrange the medical insurance cover for the Covid requirement, can anyone suggest a good insurance broker and cost, and how long would the policy would need to be valid for? I ask this question because I already have my own international medical insurance but I am not sure it would meet some of the stipulations that have been previously suggested. 

I would like to thank you in advance for any constructive comments ????     

Yes. COE site allowed me to apply for COE based on NON-0 as an Australian from the Canberra Embassy. I also emailed the Canberra Embassy at 10pm tonight with my details (previously they'd been telling me to apply for a new O-A) and they replied: 

Yes, you can apply for it.

Kind regards
Visa and Consular Services
Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra.

17 hours ago, federicoP said:

As far as I know, until a few days ago, the non imm O visa for reason of retirement was not valid for gettig a COE and rentering in Thailand.

Now I see that, if I check the thai site that now it is compulsory to use for getting a COE ( https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ ) in the third page where they ask  the first data, under the indication "Types of permitted persons", the last voice is "Long Stay Visitor (O Ret)"

Does anybody have update/new information about the possibility to enter under non O retirement  ?

Thanks for the info! Just submitted my application for COE thanks to your post. Very cautiously optimistic that I may finally be able to return to wife, life, house and pets after 8 LONG months separated. Also...hopefully in time to get out of ASQ and renew my "Retirement Extension" which expires on 3 January. :thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, polpott said:

How many months cover do you need to purchase?

They told me that the insurance must cover the lenght of the permit that you have to stay in Thailand.

With a new non imm O retirement visa  ( I need this because my old extension is expiring ) that is issued for 90 days, I should cover 90 days only.

If I will ask an extension while in Thailand, it will be an other story....

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

why did you need to show bank statements if it's a non Imm O? 

More importantly a retirement extension. I do see Non-Imm-O (retirement) as qualifying for a COE from London, but presumed it to be a new Visa not an Extension/Re-Entry Permit. Nor do I see having to prove money in the bank for a COE.... that is listed under the Visa requirements.

It is good news to hear of someone getting back into Thailand using their old Extension and Re-Entry permit, but I wish it could be clearly listed on the Embassy site as doable. Many want to get back.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

More importantly a retirement extension. I do see Non-Imm-O (retirement) as qualifying for a COE from London, but presumed it to be a new Visa not an Extension. Nor do I see having to prove money in the bank for a COE.... that is listed under the Visa requirements.

It is good news to hear someone getting back into Thailand using their old Extension and Re-Entry permit, but I wish it could be clearly listed on the Embassy site as doable. Many want to get back.

And knowing what's necessary at the Thai Embassy. I will renew my retirement extension at Christmas and then plan a trip back to the UK. I don't want to get stuck there.

Do I get my Covid insurance before I go and for what term? Cost?

Is there a requirement to show money in the bank? How much? Thai bank, UK bank or either?

4 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

US embassy in Washington DC emailed me, and yes non O With retirement Extension is valid for a COE

Can't imagine that there would be many folk with a current valid permission of stay of extension to non o retirement.

They presumably exited Thailand prior to late march. 

USA do not issue non o retirement so can't obtain one now.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't imagine that there would be many folk with a current valid permission of stay of extension to non o retirement.

People like me who have been unable to return home because we were unable to return to Thailand.

My first grandchild is due in May and I want to be there for the birth, but don't want to be stuck indefinitely in the UK. Many others in the same boat as me.

1 minute ago, polpott said:

My first grandchild is due in May and I want to be there for the birth, but don't want to be stuck indefinitely in the UK. Many others in the same boat as me.

Just got a message from family in UK, completely fed up!

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just got a message from family in UK, completely fed up!

Which is why we need to know the ins and outs. I've always been in the position to be back in the UK within 48 hours, 24 in an emergency. It feels uncomfortable not to be able to make a round trip at the drop of a hat.

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It is only November now so they could of applied for an extension a year ago or more and left in March that would still be valid for entry.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Is it really relevant how many there are?

I have seen at least half a dozen threads on here where people on a Retirement Extension had departed Thailand in pre-lockdown Q1 and were concerned that their type of extension was not mentioned when Non-O visa for marriage/family and extensions thereof were recently added to the CoE permission list. I imagine there's a whole slew of them exhaling right now and are already chasing things with their local Thai embassies.

There's another sizeable contingent who, despite being on a Thai Retirement Extension here (over 50), are still working at home or in a third country who can now make plans to get on a plane to Bangkok before Christmas.

5 hours ago, federicoP said:

They told me that the insurance must cover the length of the permit that you have to stay in Thailand.

With a new non imm O retirement visa  ( I need this because my old extension is expiring ) that is issued for 90 days, I should cover 90 days only.

If I will ask an extension while in Thailand, it will be an other story....

Once you are in Thailand, there is no need for the covid-19 insurance anymore.

That's quite logical, because Thailand is virtually covid-free.

Once you are longer than 2 weeks in Thailand the risk of being tested positive is not different anymore for you than for anybody else staying in Thailand.

So the requirement that that mandatory covid-19 insurance covers your intended period of stay (in practice, the permission to stay the Visa on which you enter will provide you) is in fact pure THEFT.  When entering on the special 60-day Tourist Visa you only need to buy insurance for the 2 months that Visa will provide you on entry.  But when entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa you have to take the insurance for 1 year, and pay 6 times as much.  Daylight robbery!

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is it really relevant how many there are?

Yes it is and also the fact that anyone who is in country that does not issue non O retirement such as AU, USA ect  cannot obtain one if their current permission of stay and reentry permit has expired. The point is this addition of non o RT has come far too late for many. 

My extension "birthday" is Nov 8. This addition of non O to the "list" has been added late.

If I was currently in AU I could not obtain non O RT.  Having said that non O-A is an option.

Archived