Allergens Up?

OliverKlozerof

I’m somewhat allergic to dust and other things and it acts up from time to time. Last couple days I’ve been sneezing and blowing my nose, as if there’s some new allergen in the air. BKK air quality index appears fairly moderate currently, especially in my area of upper Sukhumvit. However, I searched for allergen levels in BKK and the readings for ‘dust and dander’ (things that can specifically bother me), were in 4 to 5 range. Just wondering if anyone else has had their allergies triggered in last couple days of no rain and lower temperatures? Thx

Runny nose for the last month. Only started for the first time last year., and again around same time this year. Lasted several months and cleared up when the dry season came. Not hay fever,  just a runny nose. I suspect an allergy to something in the air.

Had an allergy test, but came back negative to everything I was tested with.

Seems to confirm what I suspected. I've enjoyed leaving the sliding glass door on my veranda open, just leaving the screen closed, during this cooler weather (here in Udom Suk; upper Sukhumvit). But looks like may be good idea to shut the door for a while. I have an air purifier which works well that I'll turn on. That ought to help. Cheers.

Same here, on the beach South of Pattaya. The wind changed from onshore to offshore about a fortnight (14 days, for the yanks etc.,) ago, I have been coughing, sneezing, and eye-watering ever since. 

5 hours ago, PGSan said:

So my severe allergic reactions (on the coast about 20km from Pattaya) are not related to the sugar cane burning?  It is just the dreaded ‘pollens from the North Country’.

I never said that the increased pollen levels every winter were the sole reason for anyone's allergic reactions, only that the winter season does increase the amount of pollen in the air in the southern parts of Thailand.  Since the OP likely resides in Bangkok, I seriously doubt his allergies are related to burning sugar cane smoke.  However, in your case, IF you're allergic to any of the pollens blowing in from the north then the soft, moist tissues in your nose and the corners of your eyes will become inflamed and irritated from the pollen thereby making them far more susceptible to smoke and particulate matter.  A reverse order is also possible, that is the smoke is causing your tissues to be more sensitive to pollen.  

15 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I’m somewhat allergic to dust and other things and it acts up from time to time. Last couple days I’ve been sneezing and blowing my nose, as if there’s some new allergen in the air. BKK air quality index appears fairly moderate currently, especially in my area of upper Sukhumvit. However, I searched for allergen levels in BKK and the readings for ‘dust and dander’ (things that can specifically bother me), were in 4 to 5 range. Just wondering if anyone else has had their allergies triggered in last couple days of no rain and lower temperatures? Thx

I'm having a terrible time in Hua Hin the last couple of days. It's very cold here so I don't know if it's that. I sneeze a lot when my body gets chilly, and then suffer from badly blocked sinuses for a few hours. Usually in the evening.

I already take a hay fever tablet every morning without fail as I've started to suffer from that since I moved here. 

I think the reaction to cold can be an actual medical thing. It's starting to get me down a bit. 

3 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Seems to confirm what I suspected. I've enjoyed leaving the sliding glass door on my veranda open, just leaving the screen closed, during this cooler weather (here in Udom Suk; upper Sukhumvit). But looks like may be good idea to shut the door for a while. I have an air purifier which works well that I'll turn on. That ought to help. Cheers.

Oliver which air purifier do you have, I think I should buy one. 

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Oliver which air purifier do you have, I think I should buy one. 

Hi Mr. Hump,
The best air purifier in Thailand, in my opinion is the little Hatari unit, which is available at Home Pro.
https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1020791

Replacement filters:

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1020792

I see there's a Home Pro in Market Village in HH, so they probably have it there. If not, you can probably order through them. The reason the Hatari is the best, in my opinion, is, it's the about the smallest, and certainly one of the cheapest. (There are other units which are much larger/more expensive, which probably work well, but the filters would also be expensive.) The Hatari is, I believe, made in Thailand, for the Thai market, and the HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters, are very reasonably priced (around B800 each). The machine itself is less than B5000 (compared to many thousand more for other brands). If you have several rooms in your place, just get one unit for each room. ???? 
One day I borrowed my landlord's AQI air pollution meter. The air outside (in Udom Suk, on outskirts of BKK), was not terrible, but not good. The air in my little studio apartment, with the Hatari running, was near zero on the meter (i.e., near perfect).
Basic unit, but also has remote control, negative ionizer feature, 4 speeds. Very quiet.... Get one! (Or two, or three.) (No, they're not sponsoring me. ???? )

BTW, tonight I closed the door to my veranda and turned on my Hatari. Presto: No more sneezing to speak of. (I also vacuumed whole room this morning, which was overdue, and I'm sure also helps.)

hatari.jpg.980765508db43c215220b96bd50dc724.jpg

Edited by OliverKlozerof

5 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Hi Mr. Hump,
The best air purifier in Thailand, in my opinion is the little Hatari unit, which is available at Home Pro.

Hi Oliver, 

It's very kind of you to write such a detailed reply. I'll check Home Pro, they know me very well, I've spent a fortune in there over the years! 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 10:20 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Hi Mr. Hump,

Replacement filters:

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1020792

I see there's a Home Pro in Market Village in HH, so they probably have it there. If not, you can probably order through them. The reason the Hatari is the best, in my opinion, is, it's the about the smallest, and certainly one of the cheapest. (There are other units which are much larger/more expensive, which probably work well, but the filters would also be expensive.) The Hatari is, I believe, made in Thailand, for the Thai market, and the HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters, are very reasonably priced (around B800 each). The machine itself is less than B5000 (compared to many thousand more for other brands). If you have several rooms in your place, just get one unit for each room. ???? 
One day I borrowed my landlord's AQI air pollution meter. The air outside (in Udom Suk, on outskirts of BKK), was not terrible, but not good. The air in my little studio apartment, with the Hatari running, was near zero on the meter (i.e., near perfect).
Basic unit, but also has remote control, negative ionizer feature, 4 speeds. Very quiet.... Get one! (Or two, or three.) (No, they're not sponsoring me. ???? )

BTW, tonight I closed the door to my veranda and turned on my Hatari. Presto: No more sneezing to speak of. (I also vacuumed whole room this morning, which was overdue, and I'm sure also helps.)

hatari.jpg.980765508db43c215220b96bd50dc724.jpg

Hi Oliver, I've bought the Hatari unit, it's been delivered today. I bought online direct from Hatari at the same price as on Lazada, etc. but with an extra filter (worth 800 Baht). As soon as I completed the order the page changed to 'out of stock'!

The plasma mode looks interesting as I have the suspicion that my problem stems from the dust/dander load on the furnishings in my house. I can spend the day/early evening outside with no symptoms, but problems start when I'm indoors of an evening/night. I'm looking at the dog! :)

I only started being allergic in my late fifties, so this is all still fairly new to me. I'm fine with grass pollen but our jasmine gets me sometimes during the year.

Thanks again for the recommendation, cross fingers.

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Hi Oliver, I've bought the Hatari unit, it's been delivered today. I bought online direct from Hatari at the same price as on Lazada, etc. but with an extra filter (worth 800 Baht). As soon as I completed the order the page changed to 'out of stock'!

The plasma mode looks interesting as I have the suspicion that my problem stems from the dust/dander load on the furnishings in my house. I can spend the day/early evening outside with no symptoms, but problems start when I'm indoors of an evening/night. I'm looking at the dog! ????

I only started being allergic in my late fifties, so this is all still fairly new to me. I'm fine with grass pollen but our jasmine gets me sometimes during the year.

Thanks again for the recommendation, cross fingers.

Mr. Hump,

The Hatari should help. Work best raised up a bit, in a spot as central as possible. I dont' really know what the 'plasma' feature is about. Apparently some think the 'negative ion generator' feature is good though.

About 2 years ago I went through 'allergy hell.' Then I noticed it went away if I stayed in a hotel. So, I knew it was something in my room. Then I guess I figured out I it got worse every time I rolled over in bed. Anyhow, I finally figured out the culprit: Dust mites in my mattress! Got a new mattress, cleaned my room from top to bottom, got some "demite" laundry additive to kill mites in all my bed sheets, etc. (it makes sheets stink a bit, but worth it). Then I got a mite-proof cover for my new mattress. It changed my life, from miserable to no longer sneezing, eyes watering, constantly blowing nose.
If like me you're also allergic to dust and dander, then yeah, I bet the dog is bad for that. Possible to keep it out side, or at least out of the bedroom? I wonder if fleas or mites on it have invaded your place?
If you have more than one room, consider getting another Hatari.
Good luck,
DP