Ex-beauty queen wife of Thammanat handed govt job by PM

webfact

Ex-beauty queen wife of Thammanat handed govt job by PM

By THE NATION

800_a2866a652f507a6.jpg?v=1605166237

The wife of Deputy Agriculture Minister Thammanat Prompao was handed a job in the Prime Minister’s Secretariat by the PM, not of the former position holder, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Thursday.

Government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said the Cabinet had agreed to give Thanaphon Sirawat, a former beauty queen, a position in the office effective from Tuesday. The move triggered accusations of nepotism.

Thammanat had earlier claimed his wife got the position after the former holder resigned to help run a local politician’s election campaign, and that he had no idea she had been offered the job until he saw her name on the list of new staff appointments.

When asked whether the former position holder could choose his/her successor, Wissanu said, “That is not how it works. The prime minister is the one appoints new officials in his Secretariat, as well as assistants to ministers. Certain candidates might be nominated, but the final decision is reserved for the PM’s discretion.”

Thammanat has managed to keep his job as deputy agriculture minister despite records that show he served four years in an Australian jail for heroin smuggling in the 1990s. His case has prompted questions about the transparency of PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s government.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397829

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-12

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thammanat had earlier claimed his wife got the position after the former holder resigned to help run a local politician’s election campaign, and that he had no idea she had been offered the job until he saw her name on the list of new staff appointments.

They must not talk much, I guess

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Whether the former position holder handed her the job or the prime minister did doesn't matter. It is still nepotism. Or is this too difficult for you to comprehend, Mr. Wissanu?

Here's a quiz for you:

What is a country colloquially called that appoints spouses and other close family members of sitting cabinet ministers to high-level civil servant positions?

In case you have trouble finding the correct answer, here's a hint:

banan.jpg

Smoothy??

15 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Whether the former position holder handed her the job or the prime minister did doesn't matter. It is still nepotism. Or is this too difficult for you to comprehend, Mr. Wissanu?

Here's a quiz for you:

What is a country colloquially called that appoints spouses and other close family members of sitting cabinet ministers to high-level civil servant positions?

In case you have trouble finding the correct answer, here's a hint:

banan.jpg

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here I fixed your post to add in the whole bunch...lol

image.jpeg.c5f5c5da17fd3717b00204bee188d590.jpeg

17 hours ago, mark131v said:

Nope, it's not prompted questions but it has confirmed any suspicions, whole lot of them are bent as a ten bob note, appalling yes, surprising no...

When i was 13, i went after school collecting eggs for a local farmer, at the end of the first week he paid me, it was a ten bob note ( 10 shilling note ), wow i felt like a millionaire, first time in my life i had ever had a ten bob note.

So the phrase was always.... As bent as a 9 bob note.

• Like 2