New M1 macbook pro. When will it be available in Thailand?

bbabythai

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

I read about the new M1 MCBpro laptop. 

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/a-new-era-as-apple-launches-mac-computers-with-m1-processor-20201111-p56dfi.html

When does Thailand normally get the new models? 

Or can one assume that its available everywhere when buying online?

Around 1~2 months after the release to the main markets, online availability is the same, you don’t get them any faster buying online. FWIW the iPad Air 4 is still not available.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 11/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, troubletribbles said:

This drives me crazy.... I figured that now that there were (2) official Apple stores in Bangkok they would have more reasonable release dates. It is out in Singapore as of yesterday (same as US.)

The Thai online store, Apple owned stores and Apple authorised retailers all have the same availability to order or buy and on the same day the only difference is that you may find that a particular outlet has not sold all the available product.

Singapore is not Thailand the different countries have different availability, Thailand is one of the later ones.

19 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The Thai online store, Apple owned stores and Apple authorised retailers all have the same availability to order or buy and on the same day the only difference is that you may find that a particular outlet has not sold all the available product.

Singapore is not Thailand the different countries have different availability, Thailand is one of the later ones.

are you saying hte new M1 mbp is selling in singapore already? what about bangkok?

3 hours ago, bbabythai said:

are you saying hte new M1 mbp is selling in singapore already? what about bangkok?

I am saying nothing about sales of the new MacBooks nor yet am I saying anything about availability in Singapore.

if you go back you will see that I made the point that release in Thailand is simultaneous in all outlets and that different countries have different release dates.

If an outlet sells out others may have stock.

for availability just check the Apple store.

It's available to order on Expansys Thailand site https://www.expansys.in.th/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-mydc2-2020-m1-16gb-ram-512gb-silver-329264/

It's listed as "Ordered On Request", when I used to use Expansys in Singapore products came from Hong Kong (that's where they're based) so if it's out there they should be able to ship it to you in a couple of days on top of what it takes them to get it from Apple in HK.... 

Could try emailing them to ask [email protected]

https://www.expansys.in.th/contact-us/ 

Edited by Mike Teavee

For anyone waiting to buy an M1 mac - when they do become available DO NOT BUY FROM RESELLERS STUDIO 7/iSTUDIO.

They don't honour Apple's warranty so their receipt is basically worthless. You may as well buy from one of the cheap IT malls where most everything is a counterfeit product. They try to look like a legit outfit as if they're somehow affiliated with Apple - they're not. Only order from the official Apple store. There is no saving to be made buying from the iStudio cowboys anyway - just a big headache if something goes wrong.

14 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

For anyone waiting to buy an M1 mac - when they do become available DO NOT BUY FROM RESELLERS STUDIO 7/iSTUDIO.

They don't honour Apple's warranty so their receipt is basically worthless. You may as well buy from one of the cheap IT malls where most everything is a counterfeit product. They try to look like a legit outfit as if they're somehow affiliated with Apple - they're not. Only order from the official Apple store. There is no saving to be made buying from the iStudio cowboys anyway - just a big headache if something goes wrong.

That's a bunch of nonsense. I bought product from iStudio, an iPad. Had a problem that they determined was a hardware failure. iStudio quickly without issue replaced the product.

The only issue with buying from iStudio is they only have pre configured product. If you want more storage or more ram you need to buy from Apple online.. Which I highly recommend.

18 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's available to order on Expansys Thailand site https://www.expansys.in.th/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-mydc2-2020-m1-16gb-ram-512gb-silver-329264/

It's listed as "Ordered On Request", when I used to use Expansys in Singapore products came from Hong Kong (that's where they're based) so if it's out there they should be able to ship it to you in a couple of days on top of what it takes them to get it from Apple in HK.... 

Could try emailing them to ask [email protected]

https://www.expansys.in.th/contact-us/ 

It is also available, more importantly customisable, on the Thai Apple online store 

• Like 1

If it's any help (noting that the first item above was based on an SMH article): I noticed a few days ago, checking the M1 range on the Thai Apple website, that - at approximate current xrates - the prices advertised are somewhat cheaper than the same products advertised on the Australian Apple site.

49 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is also available, more importantly customisable, on the Thai Apple online store 

EDIT: Although it mentions the M1 chipset on the front page, when you go through to customise your Macbook Pro, you can only choose 1 of 2 Intel chipsets... 

image.png.6b2fe61da09571a2f1ab6f8b766bd076.png

I love my Macbook Pro (have had it 6.5 years) but the screen is starting to go in the corners & I need to change the keyboard again, have had it swapped out 3 times in 9 months (I paid for the replacement of the original keyboard as the machine was 5 years old & had to take it back to have it redone twice under warranty) & it's gone again (now out of warranty) so I'll try DR Macbook on Soi 33

But if I had to swap it out today, I would want to see how the Macbook Pro stacks up against something like this ASUS (Or more how the M1 stacks up against the Ryzen 9)... https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/42148/24/NOTEBOOK--โน้ตบุ๊ค--ASUS-ROG-ZEPHYRUS-G14-GA401IV-HA112TS--ANIME-MATRIX---ECLIPSE-GRAY-

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

EDIT: Although it mentions the M1 chipset on the front page, when you go through to customise your Macbook Pro, you can only choose 1 of 2 Intel chipsets... 

I love my Macbook Pro (have had it 6.5 years) but the screen is starting to go in the corners & I need to change the keyboard again, have had it swapped out 3 times in 9 months (I paid for the replacement of the original keyboard as the machine was 5 years old & had to take it back to have it redone twice under warranty) & it's gone again (now out of warranty) so I'll try DR Macbook on Soi 33

But if I had to swap it out today, I would want to see how the Macbook Pro stacks up against something like this ASUS (Or more how the M1 stacks up against the Ryzen 9)... https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/42148/24/NOTEBOOK--โน้ตบุ๊ค--ASUS-ROG-ZEPHYRUS-G14-GA401IV-HA112TS--ANIME-MATRIX---ECLIPSE-GRAY-

You are missing your apple f*u

here is the proof of availability87E26B11-A565-495D-8314-4380A765AE90.thumb.png.b0b132f94825471058d4525406927ab2.png972C381C-BD29-4FD7-B931-1865A52A44DC.thumb.png.a10abf73b7f4e038e1fd0819b5432b6a.png on the Thai apple store 

Note that it’s not available in the store but will take about a week to arrive to you.

47 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I would suggest checking out some of the YouTube tech reviewers. The new chips are incredible.

I went from a Mac Air to a Windows laptop about 3 years ago and it was fine. I am not platform loyal. I didn't really like the Macs that were coming 3 years ago, mostly due to the price and the <deleted> butterfly keyboard they brought in. I am a writer, so keyboards are important to me. That issue has been fixed.

The new Mac Pro and Mac Air are ridiculously quick. Like Intel i7 to i9 kind of quick. They also, and this is important for me, have battery lives of 18-20 hours! Twice what they had before. I can't wait for the new ones. Hell, even the Mac Air is something of a powerhouse.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrward42 said:

I would suggest checking out some of the YouTube tech reviewers. The new chips are incredible.

I went from a Mac Air to a Windows laptop about 3 years ago and it was fine. I am not platform loyal. I didn't really like the Macs that were coming 3 years ago, mostly due to the price and the <deleted> butterfly keyboard they brought in. I am a writer, so keyboards are important to me. That issue has been fixed.

The new Mac Pro and Mac Air are ridiculously quick. Like Intel i7 to i9 kind of quick. They also, and this is important for me, have battery lives of 18-20 hours! Twice what they had before. I can't wait for the new ones. Hell, even the Mac Air is something of a powerhouse.  

Mac Pro isn’t new and doesn’t have the M1 chips they start at 190,000 and go up to over 2,000,000 with a monitor and other best bits

the MacBook Pro does have the M2, is available now and leaves all intel chips standing.

38 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are missing your apple f*u

here is the proof of availability on the Thai apple store 

Note that it’s not available in the store but will take about a week to arrive to you.

Ahh.... Sorry, I've checked again & I've done my usual trick of scrolling to the bottom of the page then scrolling back to click on the buy/customise button & picked the Intel model (which for some reason start off around 17K more expensive)...  

https://www.apple.com/th-edu/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/รุ่น-13-นิ้ว 

Even after taking the M1 up to the same 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD, it's still 3,700 THB cheaper than the basic Intel one - Why ?!? 

Delivery timescales are showing as 30th Nov - 2nd Dec.... I'm very tempted though would only upgrade the RAM as I don't need the extra disk space so looking at 45,900.

Need to get myself to Fortune Town to get hands on with the Dell XPS 15, the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i & the ASUS Rog Zephrus G14 I linked to above to see if any of them give the same "Feel" as a Macbook Pro (certainly nothing could compare when I bought mine 6.5 years ago)... But I do like the idea of having a bigger screen now I'm used to using my 15.6" Chromebook most of the time... 

Decisions... Decisions.... Decisions... 

39 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Even after taking the M1 up to the same 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD, it's still 3,700 THB cheaper than the basic Intel one - Why ?!? 

The  intel CPU probably accounts for that

Probably the M1s are being slightly underpriced as there are not many native programs available. Most will run under Rosetta 2 so not be much faster than on an intel CPU but once M1 versions are released you will probably see a 3 X speed increase 

just look at the Safari vs Chrome numbers, Safari is about 4 X faster than Chrome 

Safari = native 

Chrome = emulated

even emulated  apps run at about the same speed as they do native on intel.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The  intel CPU probably accounts for that

Probably but all the benchmark videos I've seen show the M1 performs better, runs quieter & has a better battery life...  

Guess you're paying for the Intel name ???? 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

Probably but all the benchmark videos I've seen show the M1 performs better, runs quieter & has a better battery life...  

Guess you're paying for the Intel name ???? 

And that Apple is a middle man.

Yes the Apple silicone is, or is going, to be very very much better than intel 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That's a bunch of nonsense. I bought product from iStudio, an iPad. Had a problem that they determined was a hardware failure. iStudio quickly without issue replaced the product.

The only issue with buying from iStudio is they only have pre configured product. If you want more storage or more ram you need to buy from Apple online.. Which I highly recommend.

I had a hardware failure on a new Mac Mini after 9 days. Went back to iStudio and they flatly refused a refund. The idiots even suggested it needed a software update. They clearly knew nothing about Apple computers - I've been using them for over 25 years. After two days of BS and threats I eventually got my refund. I only managed to get it back by contacting Apple who eventually went above these idiots heads. Apple advised me not to buy from a reseller in countries where consumer rights don't exist and corruption is endemic. Eventually, Apple will dispense with resellers and only sell from official stores.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And that Apple is a middle man.

Yes the Apple silicone is, or is going, to be very very much better than intel 

One point that might be of importance to some guys is that the new M1 machines no longer support BootCamp, so if you rely on Windows software you're going to have to run something like CrossOver 20 to run the app on MacOS rather than booting into Windows OS & running it there, which might mean that an important application to you runs slower on the new platform until the vendor optimises it for CO20 or ports it across to run on MacOS.

You might also find yourself having to get used to some Apple Tools & liking them ???? 

Will be interesting to see if MS get Windows running on the ARM chip, their push for many years has been towards Cloud so if they do I can imagine a very light, almost Chromebook style flavour with the real processing only being available via a Cloud Desktop

Edited by Mike Teavee

13 minutes ago, orientfan said:

Hi, does anyone know if there will be a larger screen version of the new 13" Macbook Pro?

Thanks ????

Rumours of a Macbook 14" and a new Macbook 16" coming out next year but at the moment your only option is a Macbook 16" with the Intel 9th gen processor... 

Still a beast, but very expensive (I priced one up at 130K ???? ) 

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I had a hardware failure on a new Mac Mini after 9 days. Went back to iStudio and they flatly refused a refund. The idiots even suggested it needed a software update. They clearly knew nothing about Apple computers - I've been using them for over 25 years. After two days of BS and threats I eventually got my refund. I only managed to get it back by contacting Apple who eventually went above these idiots heads. Apple advised me not to buy from a reseller in countries where consumer rights don't exist and corruption is endemic. Eventually, Apple will dispense with resellers and only sell from official stores.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, but itis not what you posted earlier. iStudio still is an authorised Apple Reseller and will honor Apple's warranty.