oxford vacinne easier to use than pfizer

3NUMBAS

1 hour ago, rabas said:

"...and show efficacy in older people at exactly the same level as in the younger participants."

Do you have a reference to the Lancet article with efficacy data showing this? Or are you referring to this November 18, 2020 paper, which only gives results for immunogenicity (which is good).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32466-1/fulltext

Just wondering if you have any efficacy data with age breakdown. That would be interesting.

Sorry you're right and I mis-spoke. I should have said immunogenicity not efficacy.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, rabas said:

From what I read, Moderna and presumably Pfizer will later perform full antibody testing which in essence will eventually yield the same information. These trials are still in their early stages and have not published data. What we have so far are mostly announcements and press releases targeting media, investors, and regulators. 

OTH, I'm not sure one would expect (seemingly) more effective mRNA vaccines to do a worse job on asymptomatic infections. Though the biochemical systems are very complex, both vaccine types use the spike proteins to train the  immune system..

Sam Scarpino, director of the Emergent Epidemics Lab at Northeastern University, who has modelled asymptomatic infections in other diseases says:  “We don’t have any reason to think the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines won’t block transmission..."

From WIRED Does the AstraZeneca Vaccine Also Stop Covid Transmission

But it's more substantial than that really.  Quite simply they possibly are not being rigorous enough in catching true infection rates.  That has the potential to severely undermine the whole trial.  If you don't have reliable results you can't gauge efficacy, surely?

• Like 1