Thailand seizes nearly $1 billion worth of ketamine

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"The drug is not popular in Thailand, and is mostly sold abroad, including Europe, Australia, Taiwan, Japan and Korea," he said.

And yet they have a well-known nickname for it, "Ya-K". It's true that it's not nearly as widely used as drugs like yaba, but I've heard of it being commonly used as a club drug here for many years.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Investigators found 457 25-kg bags of the drug, worth around 29 billion baht altogether, at a warehouse in Chachoengsao province, east of Bangkok.

That's a massive amount, and it's not exactly hidden away. How did it get there?  I would imagine that just about any country where it's produced would be aware of that large a quantity leaving the factory, considering that a typical dose is measured in milligrams. 

28 minutes ago, elgenon said:

The bag appears to say "Made in Chi...". Where could that be?

It also appears to be labeled as fertilizer.

Edited by khunjeff

16 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

That makes it more expensive then heroin doesn't it? ....better go back to my calculator, is hard doing the Billions bit... ..:w00t:

... well, I calculate close to 87k USD per kilo, that's 87 dollar a gram ... dunno about heroin these days, what I know is they tend to exaggerate the (street) value of whatever it is they confiscate.

However, would be interesting how much that stuff costs to produce in the first place ...

• Like 2

Ketamine worth Bt28.7 billion seized from warehouse in Chachoengsao

By THE NATION

800_0cd36eab30e71e1.jpg?v=1605233707

Nearly 11.5 tonnes of ketamine valued at Bt28.7 billion were seized from a warehouse in Chachoengsao province on Thursday.

The Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) acted after a tip-off that a foreign drug network planned to ship the ketamine to Taiwan.

“The drugs are the largest amount ever seized in Thailand, with estimated value at Bt28.7 billion based on retail price,” said Wichai Chaimongkhol, ONCB secretary-general.

“Ketamine is a popular drug among nightclub-goers and foreign tourists, but it could cause hallucination and brain damage.”

640_ai8ck7heiidg9kccfba7c.jpg

The female owner of the warehouse in Tha Kham subdistrict, Bangpakong district, whose name was not disclosed, reportedly told officials that two months ago a man had rented the warehouse to store some furniture.

He presented a Thai ID card which said he was a Chiang Mai resident named Aphichart Sae Ho, but the owner suspected that he might be from a neighbouring country, as he could barely speak Thai.

“The man didn’t pay rent for two months, so I checked the warehouse on October 13 and found only white fertilizer bags and no furniture,” she said. “I tried to contact the man but received no response until officials showed up.”

Minister of Justice Somsak Thepsuthin said that the operation was a collaboration between the ministry, the ONCB, police, Customs Department, Airports of Thailand and other related agencies.

“We have been tracking this network for two months, and believe that the drugs were smuggled in via the Golden Triangle in Chiang Rai province and were kept in the warehouse to be shipped to Taiwan and other countries.”

Officials are investigating evidence as well as the money trail to track down persons behind this drug network.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397877

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-13

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Investigators found 457 25-kg bags of the drug, worth around 29 billion baht altogether, at a warehouse in Chachoengsao province, east of Bangkok

Big money gonna be some big names behind this operation.... wonder who they are and if we'll ever find-out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

And yet they have a well-known nickname for it, "Ya-K". It's true that it's not nearly as widely used as drugs like yaba, but I've heard of it being commonly used as a club drug here for many years.

That's a massive amount, and it's not exactly hidden away. How did it get there?  I would imagine that just about any country where it's produced would be aware of that large a quantity leaving the factory, considering that a typical dose is measured in milligrams. 

It also appears to be labeled as fertilizer.

It must be good sh_t!!!

Is this the same as PCP aka Angel Dust.

edit-

Ketamine was first developed for medical uses, just like PCP. However, it was quickly determined that PCP was far too dangerous, so Ketamine was developed as an alternative – it was originally used as an anesthetic during surgical procedures. The two drugs are structured very similarly, and they cause similar effects. Recreational use of either drug is likely to cause the following side effects:

• Feelings of detachment.
  • Slurring of speech and an inability to form complete sentences.
  • Severe mood swings, usually marked by extreme agitation.
  • Involuntary twitching of the muscles (and involuntary movements of the eyes).
  • Hallucinations.
  • Anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Violent behaviors.
  • Profuse sweating.
  • Shallow breathing and respiratory depression.

Edited by EVENKEEL