Thailand seizes nearly $1 billion worth of ketamine

webfact

2 hours ago, Susco said:
4 hours ago, khunjeff said:

I would imagine that just about any country where it's produced would be aware of that large a quantity leaving the factory, considering that a typical dose is measured in milligrams. 

You really think a criminal ordered 11 tonnes of ketamine from a legit medical company?

I think it's more likely that it was diverted from a legitimate manufacturer than that an illegal backyard lab was able to produce 11 tons of the stuff, but your guess is as good as mine. 

6 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Well done to all involved. Great to see there are still plenty of honest cops doing difficult and dangerous work.

Hm,..."Investigators found 457 25-kg bags of the drug, worth around 29 billion baht altogether, at a warehouse in Chachoengsao province, east of Bangkok." !!! ,...and how do you know they are honest cops ???...maybe there where 460 bags of 25 kg !?!?.... just saying,....

• Like 1

I would imagine that the cops who have gone public with this little haul have extremely short careers to look forward to and may also suddenly start to become accident prone in the severest form possible. An amount of this proportion would suggest that very, very high level people were involved and they certainly won't look favourably upon those that have deprived them of a large proportion of their income. On another note has anyone noticed if Anutin is looking a little less happy with himself today ? ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LeNata said:

False

It is born as a human anesthetic 

Largely used in Vietnam war, for example 

Yes, it was first synthesised in '56' and patented in '62' so that makes sense

4 hours ago, Derek B said:

...used to induce dreamy or trance-like sensations, and sometimes hallucinations..........................so not needed locally I think.

No no no. It is great for SEX! Why is nobody here talking about this??? 
What kind of sex - lol - that is going a bit too far, either you know or you don't - lol.. However, I am surprised how puritanical this forum is about a few basic facts (American dominating?). Why, other than SEX, would it fetch such hiiiiii prices? 

Edited by Chopinbkk

Here are the questions raised by the bust. 1) Is this an illegally produced street drug & what is its purity? 2) Or is it a legal pharmaceutical anaesthetic? 3) What was the country of origin?

Due to its location in Chachoengsao, one may presume it was transshipped through Cambodia though it’s highly unlikely to have been manufactured there.

The elephant in the room: I’d bet dollars to donuts it was made in China from diverted precursors.

It appears (ho hum) no one at all was arrested. Must have had ample warning to flee the scene. Otherwise, these players would have found themselves in a pretty big K-hole!

My math is sketchy. But it looks like 11,500 kilos @ $86,000/kilo. I have no idea how much a dose (gram?) of K might go for but this price is likely inflated.

• Like 2

• Feelings of detachment.
  • Slurring of speech and an inability to form complete sentences.
  • Severe mood swings, usually marked by extreme agitation.
  • Involuntary twitching of the muscles (and involuntary movements of the eyes).
  • Hallucinations.
  • Anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Violent behaviors.
  • Profuse sweating.
  • Shallow breathing and respiratory depression.                                                                                        I know a health minister like that.             

18 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

That was PCP. Ketamine is an anaesthetic for humans.

Nazi fact checker !...Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic used in human anesthesia and veterinary medicine. Dissociative drugs are hallucinogens that cause a person to feel detached from reality. Much of the ketamine sold on the street has been diverted from veterinarians’ offices. Ketamine’s chemical structure and mechanism of action are similar to those of PCP.[1]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mbenson said:

A little bit more on the story from Taiwan.

Interesting bit from that report:

"The statement came one day after Thailand's Narcotics Suppression Bureau announced the seizure of 1,650 kilograms of ketamine at a warehouse in Chachoengsao Province, east of Bangkok, as well as 10 metric tons of unknown chemical substances, some of which could include ketamine."

So it was actually 1650kg of ketamine hidden in a pile of 10 tons of other chemicals...?

On 11/12/2020 at 10:01 PM, webfact said:

"The drug is not popular in Thailand, and is mostly sold abroad, including Europe, Australia, Taiwan, Japan and Korea," he said.

I heard (from a doctor, so it should be reliable) that ketamine (aka K-fen = "K powder") is a popular illicit drug in China.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:17 AM, elgenon said:

The bag appears to say "Made in Chi...". Where could that be?

So popular I'm kind of surprised they have any left to export ????

15 hours ago, onebir said:

I heard (from a doctor, so it should be reliable) that ketamine (aka K-fen = "K powder") is a popular illicit drug in China.

So popular I'm kind of surprised they have any left to export ????

Really, do people regularly use it on the street? Chew i suppose.

On 11/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, khunjeff said:

Interesting bit from that report:

"The statement came one day after Thailand's Narcotics Suppression Bureau announced the seizure of 1,650 kilograms of ketamine at a warehouse in Chachoengsao Province, east of Bangkok, as well as 10 metric tons of unknown chemical substances, some of which could include ketamine."

So it was actually 1650kg of ketamine hidden in a pile of 10 tons of other chemicals...?

The other chemicals were identified as Ketamine precursors. It kind of sounds like this group was going right to the factory. Bringing in the raw materials and taking away the finished product. I wonder what the country of manufacture was.