First Date

Jessica777

Who pays on the first date?

Where i come from it's a big  no no for the woman to offer to pay anything on the first date.  Second date you can offer to buy them a drink but paying on a first date especially if they ask you is seen as offensive and can possibly turn guys off.  

I earn 2 or 3 times more, I'd rather go grateful and humble than trying to show off or take over.  So now I don't know whether I should offer to pay or just let him take care of it.

I'm white, he's Thai.

Worth mentioning is i want to take things slow, I am only interested in building on a friendship first and see where things go.  I've been single for 3 years by choice and this is the first guy that I can honestly see myself with, but tip toeing, one toe in at a time.  When I mean slow, I mean really slow.

• Confused 1

I always keep it balanced...If I buy dinner she gets movie--or vice versa.....I never allow any "leverage" so it never comes up in future arguments....or if you want a shared relationship or a one sided one

Some here opt to pay as they go......I earn love--I dont pay for it...money buys goods and "services"..ahem

• Haha 2

So you can feel relaxed, and given your earnings,  I would recommend paying your way.  He'll probably get the gist of how you are feeling.

If he feels strongly about paying you could let him pay on the  first date.  Then you can push to pay your way, or for both, after that. 

He can pay for the odd cheaper date e.g. movies  but you could help with more expensive nights at nice restaurants etc. Depends on his ego and his confidence.

Sometimes I think paying for everything becomes a bore and it would be nice to have the tables turned from time to time. He might feel the same.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

I don’t think there should be an automatic presumption on the woman’s part that the man pays on the first date. It’s not that unusual nowadays for the woman to earn more than the man. If you like the guy then at the end of the evening offer to pay and tell him he can pay on the next date ... if he then offers to pay then suggest going 50/50. I wouldn’t let someone pay who earned a great deal less than me.

• Like 1

A  first date for lunch or dinner:

Thai Food Menú;

Noodles and Kao pad... You pay.

A second date:

Falang food Menú;

Appetizers, Cheeseboard, Australian Ribeye Steak, Spanish red wine Bottle,  Mix salad, Coffee and Tiramisú... He pay.

Third date... He will disappear of your life.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

One of my first dates in BKK was with a lovely, older, professional lady. When the bill came, I was like, "Oh, X amount, not too bad. Here, I got Y amount". (Where Y was half, I don't remember the amount.)

I wasn't sure what would happen. But there was no problem, she immediately came out with the other half. I didn't expect that to work with the younger ladies, and their less lucrative careers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

Is this the dear Abby column?... 

•  
  • In a way, yes it is.   This  section of the forum is specifically titled   " Ladies in Thailand "

The Topics sidebar on the right never mentions the section of the forum the post is in and it's easy to forget to check. At least that's how I got here.

With only one post , the OP is probably looking elsewhere for female to female advice.........

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Haha 1

It very much depends on both of your personalities and backgrounds. My husband of 10 years who is Thai initially paid for the first few dates, they were not very expensive dates, but the gesture was appreciated. 

ps. You might want to find out about joining the private women's board on TV forum for future relationship questions etc.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:41 AM, Jessica777 said:

Who pays on the first date?

Where i come from it's a big  no no for the woman to offer to pay anything on the first date.  Second date you can offer to buy them a drink but paying on a first date especially if they ask you is seen as offensive and can possibly turn guys off.  

I earn 2 or 3 times more, I'd rather go grateful and humble than trying to show off or take over.  So now I don't know whether I should offer to pay or just let him take care of it.

I'm white, he's Thai.

Worth mentioning is i want to take things slow, I am only interested in building on a friendship first and see where things go.  I've been single for 3 years by choice and this is the first guy that I can honestly see myself with, but tip toeing, one toe in at a time.  When I mean slow, I mean really slow.

My better half (Thai woman, 38)  tells me that Thai men are notorious for drinking, cheating and expecting you to pay for everything.

Edited by 2530Ubon

If you want to keep it platonic for an extended period of time, only fair that you pay your half. Not sure how many Thai guys would be comfortable with that, however few guys anywhere would be comfortable paying for their "friends" half for an extended period. You are basically "hanging out", which is cool, if he understands the extended time line. 

I have gal friends I hang out with, and we usually split things. Most insist. The ones who don't (self entitled user types in LA), we don't end up hanging out much, anyway. Gotta keep it fair.