Anyone know how to use Facebook marketplace effectively?

Kenny202

I find when I do a search in my area or selected area, goods come up from all over the place....usually everywhere apart from where I am looking. For example I will search a word and get results all over Thailand, then under "goods from outside your area" are all the items in the actual area I was searching in. Maybe they are favoring adds people have paid for, Or I will search one key word, and get some results, but later see something I was searching for with that keyword and in my area that didn't show before. When I go into a category, I see the same stuff at the top of the list sometimes for weeks. Just clicking into a category doesn't seem to be anyway of sorting newest listing first unless you are searching a particular key word then you can "sort" by category after. The alert thing doesn't seem to work either. It really does seem all over the place. 

Am I doing something wrong? Surely a big organization like FB would get it right, and its been like this for 2 years

Edited by Kenny202

A very good topic.....  I make websites...but using FB?  what a mess, a social toy for children! but, cheap marketing!

bits ad peices of photos floating around without headings and links,, just a confusing mess.....

marketplace?  have you noticed its different all the time, hit and miss,another mess ... I posted and PAID and it was never asked my target audience.. I wnted the western world..

not thailand, but because I posted from here it presumed.....  then on top of that failure it askes me money all the time .....

9 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

If you go to Marketplace, on the  top left, click on the little avatar (head and shoulder), Click on settings then you should see...Manage My Locations.

I don't see any head and shoulders avatar on my FB marketplace? But it is very easy to change your location....not that it makes any difference. Mostly brings up stuff from all over the place, usually everywhere apart from where you are looking.

I don't really care about specific areas. Would just like to go in one category, say musical instruments for eg and see all new listings

try searching for groups that dedicated to your area......  ie put "hua hin" into the search box and it will show you all the hua hin groups.... many of them will be marketplace style groups

or type in "musical instruments" and it will show all groups related to that subject

Thanks for the advice fellers but yeah know all those tips already, already in groups and can set location, location radius etc.

Makes no difference really. Search in a specific area get stuff coming up from all over the place anyway. Search a keyword and brings stuff up but misses a lot of stuff with that specific key word in the title. Doesn't seem to be able to sort by newest listing in a specific category either, only if you search a specific term you can sort results. Like a 1995 search engine

I know that the Thaivisa search function is not the best - massive understatement!! So, often the advice is to do a google search with the required parameters. That works well IMO.

Would a similar fix work for a facebook search? Maybe an apples and oranges comparison but just putting it out as an idea as the inbuilt FB search clearly seems to be an issue.