Moving away from Thailand - is it ok to leave my Bangkok Bank savings account open, to access online?

Is it ok to just leave my Bangkok Bank savings account open and use online banking, after moving away from Thailand. Or will Bangkok Bank maybe not let me do any online bank transfers, while outside of Thailand?

Thanks so much for any advice.

There is a complication though. I learned that Bangkok Bank does not allow online international transfers to banks that are not in Thailand. I was planning to transfer my money to a Mexican bank. 

I guess maybe just find the cheapest ATM's in Mexico and get my money that way, over the next year. 

20 minutes ago, 1cosmo said:

There is a complication though. I learned that Bangkok Bank does not allow online international transfers to banks that are not in Thailand. I was planning to transfer my money to a Mexican bank.

It does, but you need to set it up while you are still here.  They may request a work permit or proof of incoming funds.

• Like 1

Just now, treetops said:

It does, but you need to set it up while you are still here.  They may request a work permit or proof of incoming funds.

I called Bangkok Bank. They said a work permit is needed for a foreigner. I have social security direct deposit, so it would be great if that would work. I will go to the bank and talk to the manager. 

After trying to also find any warnings on other posts,  it seems to be ok to leave my Bangkok Bank savings account open, to access online from Mexico. Also on the Bangkok Bank website it says "You can also withdraw cash from any ATM anywhere in the world where you see the PLUS or VISA logo". 

It still makes me worry leaving all my savings accessible online and my only access to my money is my ATM card. 

4 minutes ago, 1cosmo said:

It still makes me worry leaving all my savings accessible online and my only access to my money is my ATM card.

You should always have a backup so at the very least open another account in Thailand you can transfer the money into on line should you lose the ATM card for example.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

You should always have a backup so at the very least open another account in Thailand you can transfer the money into on line should you lose the ATM card for example.

I was going to get a back ATM card, but another Bank account as a backup is a great idea.
Thanks!

On 11/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, 1cosmo said:

Is it ok to just leave my Bangkok Bank savings account open and use online banking, after moving away from Thailand. Or will Bangkok Bank maybe not let me do any online bank transfers, while outside of Thailand?

Thanks so much for any advice.

It is ok, you can still do online bank transfer so that it is active. If it is not active for more than 1 year, I heard it will be deactivated.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, 1cosmo said:

I called Bangkok Bank. They said a work permit is needed for a foreigner. I have social security direct deposit, so it would be great if that would work. I will go to the bank and talk to the manager. 

I did it without a work permit (retired).  Maybe they just looked a my bank book with the incoming foreign xfers. Maybe not even that.  

Anytime a clerk/teller doesn't know procedures they say a work permit is required - to open an account, etc.  Press on gently. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1cosmo said:

After trying to also find any warnings on other posts,  it seems to be ok to leave my Bangkok Bank savings account open, to access online from Mexico. Also on the Bangkok Bank website it says "You can also withdraw cash from any ATM anywhere in the world where you see the PLUS or VISA logo". 

It will work fine until the card expires or for some reason gets demagnetized or otherwise quits working..

• Like 1

i've been in china since september 2018, have been accessing bangkok bank online banking regularly - checking balances, buying/selling mutual funds.  unable to xfer cash out without a thai phone number for OTP codes.  have not tried to use the ATM card here.

online system is slow, logs out randomly, sometimes doesn't recognize the password.  if pw/id fails 3x, your account will be locked.  you'll need to attend the bank in person to reset.

i still have online access to my krungsri account, although i cashed out.  balance has been zero for 2-1/2 years.  went in person twice to the branch that opened the account requesting them to close it.  clerks say it will be closed automatically after one year with zero balance, but......

• Like 1

I think I have a simi-secure international banking solution figured out: 

2 savings accounts (SCB and BKK Bank)

2 ATM cards at each account (4 ATM cards total)

Online banking both banks (funds transfer between banks)

Phone Apps for both banks  (funds transfer between banks)

My only question now, will Thai Bank phone apps work in Mexico?

????‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1cosmo said:

If my retirement extension visa expires after I am gone from Thailand, could this cause a problem with my bank accounts not staying active and accessible online outside of Thailand?

No.  Recycle a small amount of money through the account every few months and everything will remain active.  

• Thanks 1