Dumping of toxic waste in local watershed infuriates Tak Karen community

webfact

Dumping of toxic waste in local watershed infuriates Tak Karen community

By The Nation

800_7591993985dd117.jpg?v=1605246280

Some 200 Karen people in Tak’s Phop Phra district arrived at a local police station late on Thursday to report that a vacuum truck had dumped human faeces in the upstream watershed their community uses for consumption.

They demanded that the business behind the pollution be immediately prosecuted because its selfish action has left the community with no water.

This watershed has been a source of water for the village for many generations and they are concerned that this pollution will affect the health of people in the community.

Meanwhile, police tried to resolve things by mediating between the business operator and the angry locals, who say similar incidents had taken place before, but this time they managed to identify the company behind the wrongdoing.

The company has agreed to pay Bt10,000 in compensation and promised it will not dump waste in the area again. Meanwhile, a relevant organisation has been informed of this case, and will take legal action in future.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397897

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-13

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The company has agreed to pay Bt10,000 in compensation and promised it will not dump waste in the area again. Meanwhile, a relevant organisation has been informed of this case, and will take legal action in future.

Baby laughing.gif

• Like 1

Meditating my ass. My driver had once an accident with 2 Burmese and they know they were in the wrong. Unfortunately my staff or somebody else phoned the police. They had 32 .000 baht (around the amount of damage estimated by my insurance guy). At the police office the police started a so called negotiation. They charged me 2000+ baht for towing my car to the station less than 1 km away and I got around 22.000 baht in the end. Without police that would have been 32.000 baht Probably the village got 10.000 baht and the police???????? to forget about it. RT police thank you. Advise don't let them negotiate before you know you will be the one in the wrong. Villagers don't accept the 10.000 baht and sue the company.

• Like 2