Government to tighten crackdown on vehicles causing pollution

webfact

How long have you lived here? How often have we seen promises like this? This current administration is infamous for pledges, declarations, proclamations and promises. Few are even remembered, much less followed up upon two weeks later. I would love it if they were sincere. But, the health and well being of us plebs, does not even make it into their radar. 

To Prayuth, feel free to cite some environmental promises that were followed up on, otherwise this is a silly exercise, directed at men in your administration, burdened with a staggering level of incompetence and indifference toward their land, their water and the common man. 

There is a very simple solution to this air problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease.

So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

Lastly they can convert all of the 10 remaining diesel and coal fired power plants. Thailand has already done a very admirable job with renewable power plants. There are over 50 powered by hydro, geothermal, wind, solar and biomass. That is impressive. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

You guys are all just a bunch of whiners! - I have no idea what you are complaining about.  The wife and I are enjoying our holiday in Thailand this November and the rampant pollution doesnt affect us at all.  Lovely holiday picture below.

image.png.7b3efd341e90bbbf02a1a3d76e8b4a17.png   

We decided to spend a few more baht for a cycling tour around the moon! Free oxygen included. 

Bike on moon.jpg

• Haha 2

Many of the polluting vehicles are blowing huge quantities of black smoke because their owners have had the factory installed computer detuned or retuned from the factory settings.  Supposedly it's the performance enhancing thing to do for some people.  Not long ago I was behind one of these modified cars at a red light.  When the light changed and he accelerated the black smoke was so think it turned my automatic windshield wipers on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

7,010 out of 9,539 inspected vehicles emitted excess black smoke and 2,526 were fined

there was 4,484 vehicles emitting excess black smoke that didn't get a fine. 

I hope they have a Big impound area, like maybe an empty province. Lol

11 hours ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

Finally, someone who knows what they’re talking about.  I live a stone’s throw away from the Emporium.  You can clearly see the busses and construction vehicles pouring out billows of dark toxic smoke and gases.  REMOVE THEM OFF THE STREETS AND RETIRE THEM PERMANENTLY.  Put the new buses into operation instead of the limited few.  Remove the old dump trucks and get them off the streets.  

Unless a car is 20+ years old, it’s not a polluter of any significance.  Most new cars (last 10 years) use a computer to control air/fuel mix and not manual Carburetors.  The air in Bangkok has never looked cleaner.  Lets keep it that way.   STOP giving out fines.  Just haul them off to the scrapyard where they belong.  START WITH ALL THE OLD BUSES (It’s the red ones... ???? just in case you weren’t sure).

How are the majority of Thais meant to travel anywhere without the buses? 

I think then they will have to take all public transport off the road The 1970s buses held together with rivets and rails for a starter ???? then secondly all the old 4x4 kicking out black S... and no lightS, that’s the problem sorted 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How long have you lived here? How often have we seen promises like this? This current administration is infamous for pledges, declarations, proclamations and promises. Few are even remembered, much less followed up upon two weeks later. I would love it if they were sincere. But, the health and well being of us plebs, does not even make it into their radar. 

To Prayuth, feel free to cite some environmental promises that were followed up on, otherwise this is a silly exercise, directed at men in your administration, burdened with a staggering level of incompetence and indifference toward their land, their water and the common man. 

There is a very simple solution to this air problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease.

So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

Lastly they can convert all of the 10 remaining diesel and coal fired power plants. Thailand has already done a very admirable job with renewable power plants. There are over 50 powered by hydro, geothermal, wind, solar and biomass. That is impressive. 

For the price of the submarines the govt could provide harvesting machines 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

What about the buses/coaches?

What about the trucks?

I reckon 70% is from them!

TukTuks with their antiquated two-stroke engines, busses, trucks, vans, and a lot of Diesel picks ups are the ones that pollute the city so much.

Only drive into Korat, and you see the dust for their coal-powered plants. 
I wouldn't want to live there. 

Diesel engines are self-igniting, and you need a much higher compression to do so.

The Diesel oil has to go through the nozzles that usually make the Diesel oil like a fog.

Once they wear out, they start to "pee," and because there's no spark to ignite, a lot of Diesel come out unburnt.

The solution is straightforward but damn expensive. Between 6 and 12,000 baht for the pump and new nozzles is good money when you only make 350 baht a day.

No idea how the bus drivers survive and how much they make a day. To overhaul these parts takes time, the time they can't use the vehicle to make money.

The government has no idea about that, but they could perhaps Google it and give 50 % to those who go for an overhaul.

Then the air would be much cleaner, the guys with the vehicles need less Diesel, and all would be okay.

How could you explain that to a soldier who wants to be a politician? 

But these parts wear out and need replacement, the same with the Diesel pump.

Certain parts need replacement after a particular amount of km's.

19 minutes ago, Mike k said:

It's about that time of the year to burn off the cane fields 

And to make a big fire with old plastic bags to cook and warm their bodies up.

I tend to believe that most don't even know how dangerous that is.

Polyethylene babies might look a bit different. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Do we live because we breathe, or do we breathe because we live?

3 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

TukTuks with their antiquated two-stroke engines, busses, trucks, vans, and a lot of Diesel picks ups are the ones that pollute the city so much.

Only drive into Korat, and you see the dust for their coal-powered plants. 
I wouldn't want to live there. 

Diesel engines are self-igniting, and you need a much higher compression to do so.

The Diesel oil has to go through the nozzles that usually make the Diesel oil like a fog.

Once they wear out, they start to "pee," and because there's no spark to ignite, a lot of Diesel come out unburnt.

The solution is straightforward but damn expensive. Between 6 and 12,000 baht for the pump and new nozzles is good money when you only make 350 baht a day.

No idea how the bus drivers survive and how much they make a day. To overhaul these parts takes time, the time they can't use the vehicle to make money.

The government has no idea about that, but they could perhaps Google it and give 50 % to those who go for an overhaul.

Then the air would be much cleaner, the guys with the vehicles need less Diesel, and all would be okay.

How could you explain that to a soldier who wants to be a politician? 

But these parts wear out and need replacement, the same with the Diesel pump.

Certain parts need replacement after a particular amount of km's.

I saw on another site that another cause for the smoke is dirty air cleaners that would require a little maintenance and not much money 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

This governement is pretty serious about tackling environmental problems and polution.

Thai ppl also are becoming more aware about polution and fully support these type of new rules.

This years ban on plastic bags is such a new anti polution law that shows the goverment is serious about it, and, perhaps more important, that busineses and Thai ppl fully support it.

meanwhile back in reality and  out of  Bangkok ,  most  couldn't give a  flying  fart.

"Government to tighten crackdown on vehicles causing pollution"

Again......No law enforcement = No change.

Only when Thailand gets a functioning police force instead of the current mafia will things slowly start to change.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:52 PM, Justgrazing said:

in a year .. that says they don't take it seriously .. so it'll be more talk , talk with no appreciable inroads made into the problem ..

Don't they check the emissions when  one pays the road tax ?   So whats new.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:38 PM, Golden Triangle said:

But they tell us this every year, and every year buggar all is done, don't fine them, scrap the bloody vehicles, that'll stop them, these clowns think it's great & even macho to leave a trail of black smoke behind them. ????????????

Not only that, but how about vehicles with no number plates, no rear lights, no indicators, bald tyres, i could go on for ever, but who cares.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 11:38 AM, cardinalblue said:

The program has already been in place for years...the government chose not to enforce it....pretty much mirror the northern air pollution response....

nothing improves as it is much easier to do nothing and the cone out periodically verbalizing crackdowns...

the Thai public is either stupid or numb to it all....

Wish i knew how many vehicle "Crack downs" have been promised and forgotten in my short 12 years on Samui.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they would implement the German system, it would be so simple.

1. Every two years each car need to complete a safety check, to obtain a sticker.

2. Every year each car needs to complete a pollution test, to comply with the government laws and standards.

Without these two sticker a car is not permitted to take part in road traffic and the license plate will be revoked. 

It is really that easy, if you are serious to make some changes, but I doubt, they really make some changes.

That really make the difference between Europe and a third world country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Don't they check the emissions when  one pays the road tax ?   So whats new.

What is the age requirement on the vehicle and does it matter if it is diesel or gas? My truck is 3 years old diesel and wasn't inspected when I got my tax stamp last week 

7 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

If they would implement the German system, it would be so simple.   ...

In the U.S., safety inspection requirements vary widely by state and even locality.  Seven don't require any.  Others require inspection every 1-2 years and some include a pollution emission test. California is now banning trucks with engines older than 2010. 

Edited by Damrongsak

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

In the U.S., safety inspection requirements vary widely by state and even locality.  Seven don't require any.  Others require inspection every 1-2 years and some include a pollution emission test. California is now banning trucks with engines older than 2010. 

GA did away with the safety inspection years ago depending on what county you live in you have to get a emissions test every year to get a tag 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, Mike k said:

What is the age requirement on the vehicle and does it matter if it is diesel or gas? My truck is 3 years old diesel and wasn't inspected when I got my tax stamp last week 

7 yrs old have to have vehicle checked.......think 5 yrs for motorbikes.......

• Thanks 1