Is there any justice in how different Thai Embassy's treat people who bought house/condo in Thailand?

I Read today that those who own an apartment or house in Thailand can now search for NON B Visa to visit Thailand, with the same strict requirements as those seeking with Covid Special Tourist Visa which includes 14 days hotel quarantine, about 140 000 crowns in the bank that stood there for at least 6 months, Covid test etc. However, if you have an apartment or house, you must additionally have 3 million bath in a bank in Thailand according to the article. I thought then that it must be horrifically wrong and therefore checked out what the requirement was for UK, Sweden, China and Norway Thai embassies.

Thai UK Embassy: That's 100% true of what I read in the article.

Thai Norway Embassy: NON B visa is correct. But no requirement for money in Thai Bank if the value of the home can be documented to 3 million bath or more. Requirements of 500 k/6 months in the home bank still apply.

Thai Sweden Embassy: It is good enough with Special Tourist Visa and if you own a home in Thailand there is no requirement for the value of it. If you have a condo/house, the requirement of 140k/6 months expires.

Thai Embassy China: Incredibly messy on their web site, but as I understand it, there is no requirement that Chinese should have money in the bank but otherwise exactly the same requirements as SVT. For info, Chinese tourists are after all the milk cow number 1 when regards to tourism.

Summary: There is a complete lack of uniformity of the various Embassies on what is required for one who has bought a home in Thailand to receive a VISA. It looks like Britons are the least welcome but that Swedes and Chinese are the most desired guests with Norwegians somewhere in between. I am not impressed by how contradictory the various Embassies design their Visa requirements.

NON B SVT.JPG

On 11/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, Sweet Swede said:

I am not impressed by how contradictory the various Embassies design their Visa requirements.

Do you think they design their requirements to impress you?

Get over it... Things aren't equal, life isn't always fair... 

Consider yourself lucky that you grew up in a place where your parents did not find a need to teach you this... 

Have you noticed the discrepancies between various different official places in Thailand, like immigration offices, police stations, etc. where they all SHOULD be performing according to the same rules and regulations?

If they can not do inside their own country, did you expect any different from far away consulates?

We can only hope for better (and easier) times to come, hopefully before we are dead.

Try to get a UK visa in their BKK Embassy, then try to get one in their Washington DC embassy and see if they both have the same policies.  (Yeah, I know... it's a trick question)  Better yet, try to get a UK visa from Hong Kong, from Beijing and from Taipei.

Aside from differences in economics, there are also treaties in place that cause different embassies to have different policies.  Nothing new here.

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Is it only Thailand...if a foreign citizen owning property in OZ....would they be allowed a visa?

Not if that was the only connection. There are exemptions for those in situations equivalent to a lot of foreigners stuck outside Thailand though e.g. defacto relationships, students.

15 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

Anyone who is willing to put 3 million baht in a Thai bank has rocks in their head. 

Why would that be ???? Th : one of the only countries in the world where you can get some interest on your account. Fixed deposit=2.4%. where do you get this?????

10 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yeahh there is no justice in this world

and if you come to Thailand on a yacht, you don't even have to be quarantined in an ASQ hotel

you can do it on the boat

https://www.pattayamail.com/travel/pattaya-and-beach-resorts-in-thailand-welcome-tourists-foreign-yachts-crews-with-stv-332057

Are you jealous you cannot be confined on your mountain??? lol 

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Have you noticed the discrepancies between various different official places in Thailand, like immigration offices, police stations, etc. where they all SHOULD be performing according to the same rules and regulations?

If they can not do inside their own country, did you expect any different from far away consulates?

We can only hope for better (and easier) times to come, hopefully before we are dead.

Even in USA Laws differ from State to State. Same in Europe. So why are you surprised or complaining??????

24 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Even in USA Laws differ from State to State. Same in Europe. So why are you surprised or complaining??????

This is correct and I do not see why that should be different with Thailand...but...wait...there is only one state...Thailand

This might explain why the OP is confused ( more than complaining actually)

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Do you think they design their requirements to impress you?

Get over it... Things aren't equal, life isn't always fair... 

Consider yourself lucky that you grew up in a place where your parents did not find a need to teach you this... 

Isn't it normal that the OP complains about the lack of homogeneity between entities under the same administration: the MFA ? Be assured that the Ministry of Foreign affairs sends the same directive to every embassy around the world, so it is always annoying to say the least to find out that requirements differ within the same administration.  I do not see what the country of birth and the luck going with it, according to you, are relevant. 

16 minutes ago, alyx said:

This is correct and I do not see why that should be different with Thailand...but...wait...there is only one state...Thailand

This might explain why the OP is confused ( more than complaining actually)

Also correct, but every province is more or less independent concerning National Laws...  

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Agreed but the difference here is that all embassies are under the same administration: Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That being said, all administrations of the same country should be on the same page but there is always room for interpretation leading to confusion, orders and counter orders.

3 minutes ago, alyx said:

Agreed but the difference here is that all embassies are under the same administration: Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That being said, all administrations of the same country should be on the same page but there is always room for interpretation leading to confusion, orders and counter orders.

To make it simple: Same s..t everywhere.... 

7 minutes ago, alyx said:

Be assured that the Ministry of Foreign affairs sends the same directive to every embassy around the world ...

What is that statement based on? As far as I'm aware every country in the world has varying policies with regard to citizens of different countries.

Just now, jomtienisgood said:

Also correct, but every province is more or less independent concerning National Laws...  

But the liberty of decisions given to the Governors has nothing to do with the rules dictated by the MFA which specifically adresses its decisions to the Embassies around the world: this decision does not vary from one country to another, apart, obviously when there are different grounds ... but here the OP refers to Europe and all these countries are pretty much the same

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

What is that statement based on? As far as I'm aware every country in the world has varying policies with regard to citizens of different countries.

I have just replied above

12 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

How long do you plan to live  

Just now, kenk24 said:

Not sure where you are from, but what would be the odds of a poor Ethiopian man getting a visa to go to your country? 

Again, what has that got to do with the post ....? 

Archived