Tripadvisor slaps warning on Thai hotel that sued expat over bad review

rooster59

I don't understand, did this person use his real name as user name when he left the review? Did TA provide the IP address? Does the Thai government record every internet activity in Thailand like the NSA?

How did they prove it was him who left the review and not someone else?

Seems like Trip advisor is the problem here. Why doesn't TA ban this hotel? It should be in their terms and conditions that a hotel or business can not take legal action against any reviewer on their platform. This would be a good legal defense for anyone in this guys position.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Unless this story is being circulated in Chinese through the PRC media, it will likely not have much effect on the Sea View.

The story is circulating in China.   Chinese reviews cannot be read by most Thais, so it is less likely the offending hotel will ever know it got a bad review.  That and the Chinese are not big drinkers.   

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

From what I have read, it was the police who pushed this - the hotel was trying to deal with the disgruntled guest.  And one got the feeling the disgruntled guest was being difficult to deal with.  It seemed the hotel was being unfairly targeted by this lad.  

Maybe the police is the real owner of this hotel..

• Haha 2

He is American, the website is American, and freedom of speech exists.

As for the hotel, right or wrong, this will cost them a lot more in lost revenue than a corkage fee, or a silly review dispute can bring in.

I am sure many will shun this property, rightfully, for other similar grade/price hotels, without a risk for lawsuit if the guest review not comply to what to hotel censorship required.

4 hours ago, thaicookingchef said:

Thank you Trip for doing the right thing !

The right thing to do is ban this hotel from their site. Maybe mask all user ID's for review in Thailand.

I say to h ell with TA. It is all fake reviews anyways. Why should i pay 10-15% more for a room with booking or agoda? Nobody needs them or TA.

• Like 1

I think many of you are missing the point.

NO future guest will base their decision on whether or not to stay at a hotel based on ONE (or a few) reviews for a hotel, which has hundreds, or thousands of reviews.

The hotel's review score is an aggregate of ALL the reviews posted, and a solitary bad review (or two) will not affect a hotel's great score.

For a hotel to file charges against a guest for defamation due to their posting a bad review (or even a few), sets a very dangerous precedent, which goes against the fundamental reason for TripAdvisor existing, and their basic policy, which is, basically, freedom of speech for hotel guests or tourists at various venues.

If everybody were too scared to post a negative review in Thailand due to this type of criminal action being taken against them, then TripAdvisor would basically be out of business (in Thailand).

TripAdvisor basically took on the Thai Government, and you can tell by the wording of the warning, that they have consulted their lawyers first, because they are very aware that this ridiculous law can be used against them at some future time.

Edited by CanadaSam
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Airalee said:

Didn’t we just have 30 or so pages of debate on this about 2 days ago?

Just trying to make the headlines I guess ....some might think it is one of the parties involved who created this second same same thread ????

Giving a negative review is one thing. Reading the content of this disgruntled guests comments

were way beyond negative.  This situation could have been handled privately if this English

teacher had communicated with the hotel directly.  The price of booze in Thailand hotels

are not ridiculous like it is in Canada or the USA, so I have to ask why did this visitor

insist on bringing his own booze to where he was eating?  Cheap Charlie is a phrase for

what caused this situation in the first place.

Geezer

• Thanks 1