Thailand allows thousands of migrants to extend work permits

rooster59

11 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Maybe the construction sector should grind to a halt, at least when it comes to condos and apartments and hotels. Who is going to live in them for the next three years? 

Amazingly, the condo market hasn't crashed although alarms are screaming it should. So I guess the bubble has to be inflated even further for it to burst, and until then, the construction madness will continue. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry343 said:

With so many Thai's out of work, it would be better to train these people in the skills needed to fill positions that migrants are used in.

Whats to learn.. the ratio of sand/concrete.water,

big shrimps in here small ones over there, 

how to use a sewing mahine?

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Government really had to do something like this in order for the Country to still function.

There was no way that the Locals would do the work that these people do

I know of a few local Thais in Pattaya that are now working on construction sites due to COVID-19.

There's a vast, silent underclass of Thais involved in the tourism trade that are now looking for work, and they're desperate. 

The days of refusing manual labour because it is beneath them are all over.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I know of a few local Thais in Pattaya that are now working on construction sites due to COVID-19.

There's a vast, silent underclass of Thais involved in the tourism trade that are now looking for work, and they're desperate. 

The days of refusing manual labour because it is beneath them are all over.

Most of the Thai males that I know, would rather starve than work in the Fields or on Construction Sites.

Their ideal Job would be as a Car Park Attendant on Cup Final Day, with a Salary of 60K Pounds P/A, and free Bupa

I guess that most of them are waiting to be retrained as Computer Programmers Etc

Edited by Cake Monster

10 hours ago, Barry343 said:

Well it is time that the Thai Government stepped in and stopped slave labour.

The Thai government will never step in to stop slave labour, it turns a blind eye to many of the industries that recruit cheap labour so that the economy can compete elsewhere.
Construction on any scale would stop if migrant labour was not allowed in.

To help facilitate this visa/permits are encouraged to help them remain here.

As you can see from some reports longer term visas are being thought about for migrants.