Lucky Star Bore Pump Flow Problems

carlyai

My Jet Pump seems to be sucking up the water from the bore, but it doesn't seem to be getting into the yellow pressure tank.

If I take off the black header tank knob and turn the pump on I have plenty of water shooting up from the hole.

If I take off the yellow tank water output, there is only a trickle of water flow. The yellow tank doesn't seem to be filling with water but the pump is working.

A known problem or those pesky red ants?

20201114_124459.jpg

20201114_124517.jpg

20201114_124507.jpg

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Was it working and quit, or are you trying to get it set up?

You might need more wires around it.... (just kidding) 

It was working just before the rainy season set in, so about 4 months ago. Often have a problem at start of the rainy season as low aquifer and turbulent water causes small stones to keep the seat valve open and all the water drains out of the pipe so can't prime the pump.

So this is what I expected. Never had this problem. 

The wiring is colourful. It's one of those 'temporary jobs', like the bucket on the floor under a leaky roof.:)

If it's pumping well and filling your tank the Thai way would be to tweek the pressure switch down a little so it does stop.

If it's been sucking crunchy bits in the past it could be a worn impeller, whether you can source a replacement could be pure luck. 

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If it's pumping well and filling your tank the Thai way would be to tweek the pressure switch down a little so it does stop.

If it's been sucking crunchy bits in the past it could be a worn impeller, whether you can source a replacement could be pure luck. 

Thanks Crossy, it seems to be pumping but no water in the tank.when I take off the black filler cap the water shoots over a meter in the air, but replacing the cap and just a trickle out the the pump tank (the yellow part under the pump). 

Probably is the impeller or housing as when it develops a fault it just pumps nothing for hours until we're in that area and hear it calling for help.

How do you know when your 4HP (I think) klong pump stays on?

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

How do you know when your 4HP (I think) klong pump stays on?

Khlong pump is 3HP and it's on a float switch in the buffer tank.

It's that float that sank a little while back, the sound of gushing water from the top of the tank indicated quite well that something was amiss ???? 

It doesn't have no-flow protection, Madam usually only turns it on when she's actually watering.

It should be fairly easy to set up something to stop the pump if there's no flow, let me think about it.

Thanks Steve. Bout time I replaced my luckystar with a submersible. I think that it would be easier to lift up if it had a problem because the 2 Lucky Star pipes and head are a real pain to get up.

Trouble is I only have a 3 or 4 " bore hole.

Can you give me details of your setup please?

I've cleaned the pump up a bit. 

I'm still not 100% sure why the water pump was working and pumping, but not getting through to the pump outlet pipe from the yellow tank. Only thing I can think is the pump pressure is not strong enough to depress that little black rubber bellows and therefore the pump outlet hole is blocked. I think it works as a pressure equaliser and with no output the bellows is relaxed and blocked the water outlet cavity. When water pressure on the inlet is greater, the bellows compresses to allow more flow to equalise the output pressure. Anyway someone will probably tell me if I'm wrong.

It's impossible to guess if a pump housing and impeller are OK or not by looking at them or getting the local tractor shop's opinion. So replaced the impeller.

I'm a bit amazed at how good the plastic impeller and plastic housing are. 

Will see what happens when all together again.

20201117_125630.jpg

20201117_125617.jpg

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

I've cleaned the pump up a bit. 

I'm still not 100% sure why the water pump was working and pumping, but not getting through to the pump outlet pipe from the yellow tank. Only thing I can think is the pump pressure is not strong enough to depress that little black rubber bellows and therefore the pump outlet hole is blocked. I think it works as a pressure equaliser and with no output the bellows is relaxed and blocked the water outlet cavity. When water pressure on the inlet is greater, the bellows compresses to allow more flow to equalise the output pressure. Anyway someone will probably tell me if I'm wrong.

It's impossible to guess if a pump housing and impeller are OK or not by looking at them or getting the local tractor shop's opinion. So replaced the impeller.

I'm a bit amazed at how good the plastic impeller and plastic housing are. 

Will see what happens when all together again.

20201117_125630.jpg

20201117_125617.jpg

Well that was a great theory. 

I decided to clean out the yellow tank and found there was a lot of sand in the bottom of the tank. Maybe this is the real reason there was only a trickle of water out of the tank, the outlet hole was blocked by the sand? 

Cleaned out the yellow tank and with the new impeller will see what happens tomorrow.

Might check where the jet pump head is located in the water table. Maybe needs to be lifted. I had it about 1m from the bore bottom as the water table varies by metres between wet and dry seasons.

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Can you not float the pump?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. 

I have a float switch in my settlement/storage tank that turns the pump on and off. 

I have nearly the same setup on the other bore pump and never have a problem. They are separated by about 100 m. I think the problem one is on a much sandier part of the aquifier and that's the problem when the wet season comes the sand is stirred up.