Driving to CM from BKK for New Years

pj123

I am thinking of driving to CM for the New Year holidays, stay three nights 30 Dec - 2 Jan. What will the traffic be like both ways? Should I go maybe a day earlier or return on 3rd. Or go up on 31st and return on Monday 4th? Fly and rent a car is not an option as we are travelling with two dogs.

Edited by pj123

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

30th may work.

Just rethought: only if starting very early.

As 31st is a full holiday exodus will begin sometime during the 30th.

Even if flying is not an option for you: flight prices are always a good indicator.

AirAsia, Dec 30, DMK - CNX. Oneway starting at 3100 up to 3800!

28 Dec 1400.

29 Dec 2200.

(all rounded)

3 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Maybe Christmas in CM then....? Return on 27th.

Much better idea as Christmas is basically a no event in Thailand outside the foreigner community.

Just jingle bells at Tesco and red hats.

Once did my 90 day report on Dec 24.

NY on the other hand is the second most important holiday for family visits etc. after Songkran.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

I agree but why is traffic on Christmas Eve so terrible. I recall two years ago awful traffic out of Amata Industrial Estate Chonburi on Christmas Eve while trying to get our guests to Suvarnabhumi for their flghts home. It's even worse in BKK. One year we just gave up on our Christmas Eve dinner plans and went back home to Pathumthani. 

I did that trip many years ago , from BKK to CM. No traffic to talk about but I went 2 days before New Year eve, and back on January 2.  Usual idiots on the road, like any day . 

17 hours ago, pj123 said:

I agree but why is traffic on Christmas Eve so terrible

Really, that's a mystery to me.

Up here of course nothing and I can't remember reports from Bangkok (except that some foreigners might get days off for Christmas).

I would leave earlier and come back later to try and avoid the traffic.  If staying at a hotel, make sure they really are open during that time.  Lots of problems with hotel booking sites due to Covid-19.  Call the hotel directly to confirm before making a booking.  

Thais roads are bad and even worse during big holidays.  I would stay away from driving at night, although leaving BKK at 5:00am might be a good idea.

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The only positive thing I can think of is that the OP will be travelling counter to the bulk of the travellers.

I am also surprised about your statement.

Do you really believe there is a big influx to Bangkok for NY or Christmas?

Completely opposite to my experience.

NY is on of the family get together holidays at home.

And home is upcountry, north, south, wherever except Bangkok.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am also surprised about your statement.

Do you really believe there is a big influx to Bangkok for NY or Christmas?

Completely opposite to my experience.

NY is on of the family get together holidays at home.

And home is upcountry, north, south, wherever except Bangkok.

My apologies I am up north and read it the wrong way around. 

Better not to bother and stay in Bangkok.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, pj123 said:

I am thinking of driving to CM for the New Year holidays, stay three nights 30 Dec - 2 Jan. What will the traffic be like both ways? Should I go maybe a day earlier or return on 3rd. Or go up on 31st and return on Monday 4th? Fly and rent a car is not an option as we are travelling with two dogs.

Come up a few days early to miss the traffic and stay over until the 4 th you should be ok with that.

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It's a nice drive but slow down for cameras....

Under normal conditions it'll take around 8+ hours so allow much more. Re cameras. They are along the whole stretch from BKK so keep under 110kph. Unless of cause you don't mind getting lot's of tickets. There is only one section that doesn't have any and that's between N/Sawan and K.P.Phet. Some 120km. That's when the Thai's go crazy hitting 140+ so take care. Once you hit K.P.Phet they start again. The speed limit in K.P.Phet province is now 80 kph so adjust your speed accordingly.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, pj123 said:

Just book your flights now. Why on earth would someone drive  such distance in Thailand? To fly is cheaper and a LOT safer. 

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Just book your flights now. Why on earth would someone drive  such distance in Thailand? To fly is cheaper and a LOT safer. 

I enjoy the drive up and back and I like having my car with me. I could fly my family up, but by the time you spend three-four hours flying each way it does not seem worth it to me. 

Took my extended family up one year, rented a van and driver for the week, it was great. 

I have just done a trip on the A/R 1/32. (Main road from BKK to C/M) It's the day before the latest long weekend. I can inform you the roads are getting very busy, with lots of traffic in both directions. Buddha only knows what the new year will be like. If the OP is still thinking of going Tip. Go early and come back late. If it were me I would give it a miss. Or as others have suggested Fly.