Road Safety advert

Mods, I wasn't quite sure where to put this, I was gonna put it in the motoring section but thought it would be better here, please move if inappropriate, thanks.

Me & the Mrs were watching the news on Channel 3 this morning and for the first time I can recall they showed a road safety ad during one of the breaks.

It showed a couple driving off the flat roof of a derelict 6 storey condo block & the damage done, with some follow up information, it was quite impressive, did anyone else see it ?

Unfortunately in all the ad breaks it was only shown once, I sincerely hope that this could be the start of a new trend, ???????? ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you know what the actual message was??

An awful lot of people would take it as "don't drive off 6 storey office buildings" ???? 

Sorry my bad, it was to highlight speeding, I don't speak or read Thai but the message was clear, keep your speed down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I could make out it was trying to tell people to keep their speed down to 80 kilometers otherwise they wouldn't be able to stop in time and will end up hitting a truck in the rear. 

Of course the real message should be "don't tailgate", unless of course said truck is stopped at night with no lights.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Of course the real message should be "don't tailgate", unless of course said truck is stopped at night with no lights.

Yeah what I do here sometimes with bike and cars/ trucks is flick the brake with my left foot, I know it's wrong but if they don't move back I just slow right down put my left indicator out and put over so to make them pass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah what I do here sometimes with bike and cars/ trucks is flick the brake with my left foot, I know it's wrong but if they don't move back I just slow right down put my left indicator out and put over so to make them pass.

A prolonged wash of the windscreen can often work. Especially for bikes.

• Like 1

Apart from speeding they need several other ads including; 

Don’t drive without a licence, don’t drink and drive, don’t drive with broken headlights, don’t reverse into oncoming traffic, don’t drive into pedestrians at crosswalks, don’t drive on the wrong side of the road, don’t drive without a seat belt, don’t pull out without checking your mirror to see it’s safe... etc etc...

Edited by madhav
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, madhav said:

Don’t drive without a licence, don’t drink and drive, don’t drive with broken headlights, don’t reverse into oncoming traffic, don’t drive into pedestrians at crosswalks, don’t drive on the wrong side of the road, don’t drive without a seat belt, don’t pull out without checking your mirror to see it’s safe... etc etc...

All things that I see in the West also

People in glass houses ...

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, madhav said:

You missed Don't take your guns to town  :jap:

49 minutes ago, madhav said:

Now really, I think that is just TOO much to ask! Are you with the Fun (Sanook) Suppression Squad?

1 hour ago, madhav said:

They have. 

On 11/14/2020 at 2:05 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry my bad, it was to highlight speeding, I don't speak or read Thai but the message was clear, keep your speed down.

I didn't see this one, I watched the others with pick-ups driving at speed up the side of a mountain, slashing across a swollen river without a care in the world, turning at a high rate to get the back to slide on some gravel track, all without spilling a drop of coffee from the multiple onboard cup-holders.

• Haha 2

Took my driving test 2019.....the video we had to watch, "How to drive safely" talks you through various points as a guy drives along a dual carriageway.........as he talks you there are at least 4 offenses committed by other drivers all caught on camera....speeding, tailgating, cutting in, undertaking.....what a farce.

In addition to that, as the video came on, all the Thais got their phones out and paid absolutely no attention.

Edited by Surelynot

23 hours ago, madhav said:

It's better to continue the whole day, maybe only then it could help.

However, then they will change to another channel.

I don't think it's a new campaign. I don't watch Thai TV much, but from memory, I remember a road safety campaign ad from maybe a year or two ago that sounds like the one you describe. The message was at such and such speed, it's the equivalent of an impact as jumping from a 6 story building, at this speed it's the same as a 12 story building and so forth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

It's better to continue the whole day, maybe only then it could help.

However, then they will change to another channel.

Make it like the royal announcements, effectively forcing everyone to watch it by overriding everything!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I didn't see this one, I watched the others with pick-ups driving at speed up the side of a mountain, slashing across a swollen river without a care in the world, turning at a high rate to get the back to slide on some gravel track, all without spilling a drop of coffee from the multiple onboard cup-holders.

???????????? I've seen them too, these motor manufacturers and advertising agencies have a lot to answer for as far as I'm  concerned, I can't say what I really want to as it will be perceived by some as Thai bashing, but as I see it they advertise these autos as go anywhere at top speed indestructible chariots & the run of the mill guy or gal here is too ill equipped to realise that they use professional drivers in the adverts & that Mr and Mrs farmer Joe don't have those skills but they drive them as they have seen them driven on the TV ads.

I saw one TV advert here many years ago, I think it was for yoghurt, a family in a car with the top down,  mum & dad in the front, their daughter standing behind them with the wind blowing through her hair eating a pot of yoghurt, not a f*****g seat belt in sight, what sort of message does that send ???

I really do despair sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1