Thermocouple

carlyai

I'm looking for a replacement thermocouple. 

I'd love to know if I can easily source something like in the picture in Thailand. 

I don't know the part number yet, but if anyone knows of a thermocouple shop that would be great.

The destruction manual said to test it with a mv meter from the tip to the copper gas pipe at the bottom and the reading should be 15mv with the pilot ignite switch depressed. The reading was near 0mv.

Found the part number: EC009. US $74.40. There is an equivalent: 50-3405.

The bit of literature says it is a quick acting thermocouple. 

I would guess that the gas hob thermocouple are quick acting as well. 

I don't feel inclined to pay US $ 74 plus freight etc at the moment.

I think I'll wait for the one from Lazada to arrive and see if my local gas man can change the thermocouple head over.

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I think I'll wait for the one from Lazada to arrive and see if my local gas man can change the thermocouple head over.

Like cats, you can't take them apart.

The "universal" one has a good chance of fitting (or able to be made to fit).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

I'm looking for a replacement thermocouple. 

I'd love to know if I can easily source something like in the picture in Thailand. 

I don't know the part number yet, but if anyone knows of a thermocouple shop that would be great.

The destruction manual said to test it with a mv meter from the tip to the copper gas pipe at the bottom and the reading should be 15mv with the pilot ignite switch depressed. The reading was near 0mv.

This may be a daft question ... have you tried cleaning it.

Edited by chickenslegs

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

This may be a daft question ... have you tried cleaning it.

No don't think it's a daft question. 

I heated the tip up again when I got it out, and measured the voltage at the other end and there was 0 volts. Even being a bit sootish I still think I should have had a voltage reading. 

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This is most definitely NOT recommended!!

I liked his safety concerns about making sure the gas is off before you start and making sure you put the seal back on the solenoid properly so gas doesn't leak.

Don't think even a teacher would do that to their indoor gas log fire.

Lucky it's not in Thai language. ????

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, carlyai said:

No don't think it's a daft question. 

I heated the tip up again when I got it out, and measured the voltage at the other end and there was 0 volts. Even being a bit sootish I still think I should have had a voltage reading. 

My dad used to clean them with a piece of emery cloth. He had 4 gas fired driers in his laundry. Buying new was always a last resort for him.

But, I see that yours is now beyond resurrection.

56 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My dad used to clean them with a piece of emery cloth. He had 4 gas fired driers in his laundry. Buying new was always a last resort for him.

But, I see that yours is now beyond resurrection.

I did give it a bit of a clean, but I still would have expected a voltage reading when I heated the tip.

I think putting the nob back on and replacing head is just a soldering job but that may not fix it. I think the best thing to do is to order a new one, so I have sent messages to Aus and China suppliers. Chinese gas fire mobs don't usually reply cause they want to send you a new fire place and some Aus places are or were so politically correct they only sell to licenced gas fitters.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the thermocouple and pilot light now stays on. 

Now the main gas burner won't come on    pgrrrr. 

Can't see any wires I've dislodged so will clean the thermopile and fault find. May even revisit the Most definitely do not do this video. ????

20201129_081212.jpg

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Good to know that the "universal" one actually fits.

That the pilot stays on suggests that it's working, how is the main burner controlled?

Controlled from a thermopile. But there are a thermostat and burner on/off switch in the circuit. It was a bit of a job to get the new thermocouple in so I could have dislodged a wire or something but all looks OK.

Seems like the pilot flame on the thermocouple causes a small voltage that activates the gas solenoid and the solenoid is activated more from the thermopile. That's what I think happens. I can't see a voltage from the thermopile, but have to check again. 

Seems strange that the thermopile would fail as well. Lots of thermopiles on Lazada. Definetly only a small amount of gas getting to the burner as there is a small flare when I fire a gas gun at the burner.

The brass screw connector to the thermocouple housing is not the right fit so I didn't screw it on, but I can't see that effecting anything as the pilot stays on and the thermocouple is positioned in the flame.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Litlos said:

The fast acting bit is the narrowing of the thermocouple casing. Is it an instantaneous or storage type heater?  Sounds like a storage type,

Cheers

Thermocouple replaced now OK. Other thermopile problem fixed, cleaned the thermopile and solenoid bit slow to engage but OK. It's a gas log fireplace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Thermocouple replaced now OK. Other thermopile problem fixed, cleaned the thermopile and solenoid bit slow to engage but OK. It's a gas log fireplace. 

All is well that ends.

Cheers