Wife in hospital and unable to attend immigration for marriage extension. What to do?

Hi all...I am currently on a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife while my 400k seasons in the bank. The 2 month seasoning period will mature around Nov. 23 and the extension is until Nov. 26 so a small window to go to apply for the Non-o marriage extension (forgive me if my terminology is not correct). My wife is currently in the hospital and likely will still be there when I need to apply for the marriage extension thus she will be unable to accompany me to immigration. And I suppose I will not be able to supply the necessary photos of us around the house. Any ideas on what I can do? This is in Chiang Mai.

Thank you, Bamboozled.

Hi Joe,

For a new 60 day extension,  does not my wife also have to accompany me as she did for my first 60 day extension?  I suppose, if this were to work, I would have to maintain the 400k for another 2 months? Or until my wife was able to go with me to get the extension based on marriage (which could be before the 60 days ran out, yes?)?

I will go to immigration this coming week and see what can be arranged. Perhaps they would allow her not to be there at least for the new 60 day extension seeing that she is indisposed and that I very recently did apply for one with her present, too. Any stories such as this?

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I will go to immigration this coming week and see what can be arranged. Perhaps they would allow her not to be there at least for the new 60 day extension seeing that she is indisposed and that I very recently did apply for one with her present, too. Any stories such as this?

I would get photos together in hospital and a medical certificate that she is unable to travel - years ago I was advised wife would not have to appear if I obtained a medical certificate here in Bangkok (but was for conversion from spouse to retirement - they required wife attend to be sure she knew a change was being made at that time).  

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

For a new 60 day extension,  does not my wife also have to accompany me as she did for my first 60 day extension? 

Your wife would not need to be with you. It is a 60 day extension being offered due to covid 19. You will complete a affidavit that has tick boxes for the reason you are requesting the extension.

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I would have to maintain the 400k for another 2 months? Or until my wife was able to go with me to get the extension based on marriage (which could be before the 60 days ran out, yes?)?

You would still need the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I would get photos together in hospital, letter from wife asking that you obtain extension and a medical certificate that she is unable to travel - years ago I was advised wife would not have to appear if I obtained a medical certificate here in Bangkok (but was for conversion from spouse to retirement - they required wife attend to be sure she knew a change was being made at that time).  

Sorry about that - was trying to edit my previous post - new software is killing me.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife would not need to be with you. It is a 60 day extension being offered due to covid 19. You will complete a affidavit that has tick boxes for the reason you are requesting the extension.

You would still need the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

Joe, when can I apply for this Covid extension? Can I do it now while I still have time on my current extension to visit Thai wife or do I need to wait for the last day of the current extension?

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Joe, when can I apply for this Covid extension? Can I do it now while I still have time on my current extension to visit Thai wife or do I need to wait for the last day of the current extension?

You can apply for the new 60 day extension about 2 weeks early. No need to wait for the current one to end.

Thanks Joe. Since this is an extension for Covid, could you tell me what I would need to bring? My apologies, I'm sure you've probably posted it numerous, numerous times already but I have not been following as I though I would be applying for the extension based on marriage.

Cheers!

Thanks Joe. Since this is an extension for Covid, could you tell me what I would need to bring?

You will need the standard copies of your passport pages, TM6 departure card and a completed TM7 form. They will give you the affidavit to complete and sign.

48 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Much obliged Joe and Lopburi. This sounds like the simplest solution and won't involve me having to stress my wife at all or myself wondering if she will be available or not, etc... Thank you kindly!

You can fill this TM 7 out on your PC, it might save you some time at Immigration.

new_FillableTM7form.pdf

21 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

You can fill this TM 7 out on your PC, it might save you some time at Immigration.

new_FillableTM7form.pdf 141.26 kB · 7 downloads

Thank you very much. Do you know if this is the correct and current TM7? For my last extension about 2 months ago, the TM7 form I filled out from a download was not admissible as it was an older form. Not a huge issue as they gave me a new one to fill out but my "time save' became the opposite of that and other folks, too, might have the same issue. Cheers!

26 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thank you very much. Do you know if this is the correct and current TM7? For my last extension about 2 months ago, the TM7 form I filled out from a download was not admissible as it was an older form. Not a huge issue as they gave me a new one to fill out but my "time save' became the opposite of that and other folks, too, might have the same issue. Cheers!

It is the new version as noted in file name - no mention of 1,900 baht fee at end.

Just a word of warning since you will be applying in Chiang Mai. There have been reports of people having difficulty getting the Covid extension in Chiang Mai. If they are not willing to provide you with the affidavit, and doing the Covid extension, you might be able to get them to relent by using the Immigration hotline at 1176.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:53 AM, bamboozled said:

I would have to maintain the 400k for another 2 months?

In all probability for three months, as some offices require it to also be there during the one month they take to approve your one-year extension. I'm in the same position as you, and I visited my local office (Kalasin) to confirm what they need for the one-year application (as each office makes up their own rules) and they gave me the list - in Thai, only in Thai - and at the same time I checked on the 400,000 baht situation.

They told me it has to remain while I am under consideration, but at that office the rule had only been in place for a week. They decided, as the officer said, to "make things more difficult for you", as they had recently messed up one application. Someone had removed some of the 400,000 three days before making the one-year application and they hadn't noticed (they obviously didn't check his documents properly) and were probably hauled over the coals by the people in Khon Kaen. Loss of face = tougher checks and rules for all of us now. The usual Thai over-reaction. Instead of simply doing their job properly they tighten the rules against everyone.

Your office might be more lenient.

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In all probability for three months, as some offices require it to also be there during the one month they take to approve your one-year extension. I'm in the same position as you, and I visited my local office (Kalasin) to confirm what they need for the one-year application (as each office makes up their own rules) and they gave me the list - in Thai, only in Thai - and at the same time I checked on the 400,000 baht situation.

They told me it has to remain while I am under consideration, but at that office the rule had only been in place for a week. They decided, as the officer said, to "make things more difficult for you", as they had recently messed up one application. Someone had removed some of the 400,000 three days before making the one-year application and they hadn't noticed (they obviously didn't check his documents properly) and were probably hauled over the coals by the people in Khon Kaen. Loss of face = tougher checks and rules for all of us now. The usual Thai over-reaction. Instead of simply doing their job properly they tighten the rules against everyone.

Your office might be more lenient.

Just great, that will take me to 5 months of having this money sitting there in the bank. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

12 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Just great, that will take me to 5 months of having this money sitting there in the bank. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

Not computing.  2 months prior to application and to be safe the one month the application is under review would equal 3 months total.  Although have seen reports of a few officers saying has to be in account 3 months prior to application but even then would not be 5 months total.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not computing.  2 months prior to application and to be safe the one month the application is under review would equal 3 months total.  Although have seen reports of a few officers saying has to be in account 3 months prior to application but even then would not be 5 months total.

It would become 5 months because it has already been in there 2 months with the plan to do the marriage extension next week. But if my wife is not available it looks like it would get kicked down the road 3 more months. It's not a deal breaker but silly as it is I am always afraid I am going to inadvertently go under that the 400k and screw up the whole process.

It would become 5 months because it has already been in there 2 months with the plan to do the marriage extension next week. But if my wife is not available it looks like it would get kicked down the road 3 more months. It's not a deal breaker but silly as it is I am always afraid I am going to inadvertently go under that the 400k and screw up the whole process.

Got it.  Was not allowing for a new short term extension in my thinking.  Sorry.  Perhaps best to have an extra bank account just for extension times without an ATM card?  That would help avoid any mistake.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:50 AM, bamboozled said:

As Lopburi already mentioned, it is the newest one. 

I'm on an O visa based on marriage. I went to immigration today and was told that I could get a doctors certification saying she was unable to attend. She would also have to sign next to most of the declarations on the application. So far, so good. I'm not sure I can gather the photos needed, however. I'll have to check. I asked about the Kor Ror 2 because we got two copies 2 months ago when we had to do the 60 extension. He seemed to suggest I needed something different from the Kor Ror 2, saying I needed the "real" certificate. Is that not the original marriage certificate? Me thinks it is and it was just something lost in translation. I also cannot get my landlord to cough up her ID and house book so that could be a sticking point.

I did get a current list of what's required from the horse himself (that is, direct from immigration) so that makes for a nice checklist. I'll add a pic of it here.

I anyone can clarify what point 9 is all about, that would be helpful. I'm not quite sure what they're getting at.

For the TM7 form, thank you for the clarification.

thai wife.jpg

3 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I anyone can clarify what point 9 is all about, that would be helpful. I'm not quite sure what they're getting at.

That is simply another BS form they give you to sign. It basically confirms that you appreciate that they will cut your balls off if you overstay.

Just returned from CM immigration where I was hoping to apply for the Covid 60 day extension. I'm from USA and it turns out you need some kind of letter from the embassy saying something or other, I guess that you can't go home.  The ladies were pretty unclear about what I needed exactly. They waved some samples in my face and cared not if I understood what they were asking for. I'll admit I was quite taken aback and shocked as I thought I had all my ducks in a row. Is this a new requirement all of a sudden? No one has mentioned such a thing on this thread. Now I'm scrambling. Ugh.

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Just returned from CM immigration where I was hoping to apply for the Covid 60 day extension. I'm from USA and it turns out you need some kind of letter from the embassy saying something or other, I guess that you can't go home.  The ladies were pretty unclear about what I needed exactly. They waved some samples in my face and cared not if I understood what they were asking for. I'll admit I was quite taken aback and shocked as I thought I had all my ducks in a row. Is this a new requirement all of a sudden? No one has mentioned such a thing on this thread. Now I'm scrambling. Ugh.

That requirement was supposed to have ended several months ago.  Below is still on US Embassy web site:

Update 10/13/2020: According to verbal communication from the Royal Thai Government’s Immigration Bureau, non-Thai nationals can visit any Thai Immigration office to request a 60-day extension of stay. We have been told that there will be a charge for this. Thai Immigration will not require a letter from the Embassy as part of the extension request, so the U.S. Embassy and Consulate General Chiang Mai will no longer provide letters of support for Thai visa extensions. For more information about applying for Thai visa extensions, please visit www.immigration.go.th or contact the Thai Immigration Bureau.

Archived