Two arrested in Lopburi over alleged Bt400m lottery ticket fraud

webfact

Two arrested in Lopburi over alleged Bt400m lottery ticket fraud

By THE NATION

800_fffe1525e10a6e8.jpg?v=1605494979

Lopburi police on Sunday arrested Thossaphon Jitmaen and Yutthana Thongkham, who are accused of cheating lottery ticket sellers.

The two were picked up from a house in Khoksamrong district of Lopburi province.

On October 7, more than 100 lottery ticket sellers in Surin province had filed a police complaint that two distributors had taken their money but failed to deliver the lottery tickets for the October 16 and November 1 draws, worth over Bt400 million.

2.JPG

One of the plaintiffs said the suspects had invited them to buy lottery tickets at a price of Bt80 each, but they had to buy in bulk of at least 500 tickets. “They delivered the first 4-5 lots on time, but in October we could no longer contact them despite already having given them the money,” they said. “After their arrest, we have submitted an appeal to the police to deny them bail as they might get out and coerce the sellers.”

Police said that the suspects had fled from Surin and hid at a house in Lopburi. Police also reportedly found Bt700,000 cash and some gold jewellery in the house.

The two suspects have reportedly confessed to the alleged fraud, but said that the money they received was less than Bt400 million.

They were taken to Muang Lopburi Police Station for interrogation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398006

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-16

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

I have seen a very few people sell tickets for 80 baht. But no wonder many people sell their tickets for 100 baht since the distributors already cut off the profit margin at 80 baht. GLO then should consider their selling price for ticket distributors at the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tonray said:

If they can only legally sell tickets at 80 baht on the street....what kind of sense would buying them at 80 baht make ? And before everyone screams that nobody sells at 80 baht...in my 5 years here I have never seen a ticket sold for more than 80 baht for a ticket pair. 

I would say that only 20% of the tickets are sold for 80 baht.  And that is from ones with permanent stalls who also make money cashing in peoples winners for a percentage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

One of the plaintiffs said the suspects had invited them to buy lottery tickets at a price of Bt80 each, but they had to buy in bulk of at least 500 tickets

Do the sellers buys tickets from anyone or should they not come direct from a secure source?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Not a problem, if I am offered lottery tickets for more than B80, I just ignore them. The Lottery is just a flutter for me.

I thought farang weren't allowed to buy them.  Or was it that we are not allowed to collect winnings?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

So the buyers are basically valuing each of the tickets these two promised to supply at 6 million bht  as potential jackpot winning tickets .  Otherwise where do they get the number of 400 m bht ? 

100 sellers 400milj baht that would mean each buyer buys 4 milj worth of tickets ?? My first geuss as well where they get that nr from ?? 

7 hours ago, tonray said:

If they can only legally sell tickets at 80 baht on the street....what kind of sense would buying them at 80 baht make ? And before everyone screams that nobody sells at 80 baht...in my 5 years here I have never seen a ticket sold for more than 80 baht for a ticket pair. 

There are those that sell them for the correct price, and then there are those that sell them for 100 Baht, or the 2/12 tickets for 200 Baht.  It all depends on how much extra they want. Certain numbers the sellers deem as auspicious sell for 120 or more.  Yes they are suppose to be sold as a pair for 80 Baht per the GLO, so that you can share the winnings with a friend, but then what good does that do for the vendor, instead they split the tickets up for either 80 baht or 100 baht a piece, or as I said 200 for the pair.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Still doing NOTHING about sellers inflating the price from the stated/printed 80 baht to 100 + though are they.

Yep, it was for about a week that you could buy them for 80.

And their cheapo trick to make them to sets, suc_s big time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

There are those that sell them for the correct price, and then there are those that sell them for 100 Baht, or the 2/12 tickets for 200 Baht.  It all depends on how much extra they want. Certain numbers the sellers deem as auspicious sell for 120 or more.  Yes they are suppose to be sold as a pair for 80 Baht per the GLO, so that you can share the winnings with a friend, but then what good does that do for the vendor, instead they split the tickets up for either 80 baht or 100 baht a piece, or as I said 200 for the pair.

No longer sold as pairs.

One ticket for 80 baht since about 2015 when the PM promised to reform the system and stop the inflated prices.

Edit: I was wrong about the date. The change was made in 2018.

Edited by chickenslegs

4 minutes ago, TPI said:

In Phrae in have never seen the price lower than Bt100 per ticket and I've been around for a few years!

I'm sure you are confused, because it is the first thing Prayuth fixed when he grabbed came in power

• Haha 2

My wife just won 4000 baht for a 60 baht ticket she bought online. She is over the moon about it because if she bought the same ticket for 80 baht on the street she would have only won 2000 baht. Cheaper ticket for double the prize. The legitimacy of the online lottery was lost in translation when I quizzed her if it was part of the legit government lottery or a black market privately run one, hence illegal. Anyway, I stopped asking and just basked in her joy for having won a prize the first time in her life.

Personally, I win the lottery every week because I never buy a ticket. ????

• Like 2