Province used for Residency Certificate and Car Registration

XGM

For the purpose of registering a vehicle on my name (either transferring ownership or with a new car) at a land transport office at a certain province, can I use a Residency Certificate issued at another province? and how recent should it be?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, XGM said:

For the purpose of registering a vehicle on my name (either transferring ownership or with a new car) at a land transport office at a certain province, can I use a Residency Certificate issued at another province? and how recent should it be?

Not 100% what your asking. But you can buy any car out of province. But it will be registered there. If new it will have the local No: plates on, that they like you to change in your own province. (Not a problem if you don't) Doesn't matter where your personally living, you just need some sort of paper work to prove what your address is. Oh and your passport as well. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Not 100% what your asking. But you can buy any car out of province. But it will be registered there. If new it will have the local No: plates on, that they like you to change in your own province. (Not a problem if you don't) Doesn't matter where your personally living, you just need some sort of paper work to prove what your address is.  

I specifically ask about the Residence Certificate that is a requirement if you don't have a WP (and I don't). If for example I get a residence certificate in CM (where I currently live), and use it for the car registration at a Land Transport office at say Bangkok, is that ok?

Edited by XGM

Just now, fredob43 said:
Just now, XGM said:

I specifically ask about the Residency Certificate that is a requirement if you don't have a WP (and I don't). If for example I get a residency certificate in CM (where I currently live), and use it for the car registration at a Land Transport office at say Bangkok, is that ok?

You don't need a work permit to buy a car, just Passport and paperwork to show where you live. My last car I obtained out of province because they gave me a better deal. All they wanted was the above. Did as said had to change No:Plates 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XGM said:

What paperwork is that? AFAIK it's either a WP, a residence certificate issued by immigration, or an embassy statement.

You must have some sort of paperwork to show your address. You need that to get your Visa. In my case I am married to a Thai have a yellow book so I used that. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

You must have some sort of paperwork to show your address. You need that to get your Visa. In my case I am married to a Thai so have a yellow book so I used that. 

Thanks. I'm also married to a Thai and I'm using the rental contract for my extension every year, however Land Transport won't accept just the rental contract.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it's your proof of address and where the car is going to be kept,  when the car is received you take paperwork to your local DLT province and register the car there.  

You can change the number plate if you want to. 

I'll clarify. I currently live in CM but moving out in a month. I might buy the car either here or in Bangkok. So the car won't be kept in CM either way. I don't mind having a number plate from either province, I just want to know that if I get the Residence Certificate now, in advance, I could use it for the car registration at another province as well.

Edited by XGM

13 minutes ago, XGM said:

Thanks. I'm also married to a Thai and I'm using the rental contract for my extension every year, however Land Transport won't accept just the rental contract.

10 minutes ago, XGM said:

I'll clarify. I currently live in CM but moving out in a month. I might buy the car either here or in Bangkok. So the car won't be kept in CM either way. I don't care about having a number plate from either province, I just want to know that if I get the Residence Certificate now, in advance, I could use it for the car registration at another province as well.

As long as you have as said, some sort of address paper work. You can but your car wherever you are living. But as you are moving you will need to update your address paperwork to new address asap. Little tip if your buying a car with C/M plates get them changed to BKK ones as the police do like to stop peeps with out of town plates. I know this  first hand  

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, XGM said:

I've never had to prove my address when on marriage extensions. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've never had to prove my address when on marriage extensions. 

We always bring both the rental contract and a drawn map to the location. Maybe this is redundant but they always collect that. We were asked for even more supporting documents once by a stricter official. Anyway, this is off-topic.

Edited by XGM

29 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You must have some sort of paperwork to show your address. You need that to get your Visa. In my case I am married to a Thai have a yellow book so I used that. 

Careful!! dont get me started!  Most have their address printed on the back of their licences, yet we can use it for hardly anyting even though the GOVERMENT issued it.. how stupid is that?

36 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Careful!! dont get me started!  Most have their address printed on the back of their licences, yet we can use it for hardly anyting even though the GOVERMENT issued it.. how stupid is that?

".. how stupid is that?"

Well, it's nowhere near as stupid as your referring to the government as the "goverment!

1 hour ago, XGM said:

What paperwork is that? AFAIK it's either a WP, a residence certificate issued by immigration, or an embassy statement.

I have bought 2 cars in the last 3 month and sold one and I only used my pink ID card in all instances, the Land transport offices would not see or have copies of my passport or yellow book .

It was in Bangkok, Sisaket and Kantharalak and I live in Kantharalak, Sisaket.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kwasaki said:

You can change the number plate if you want to. 

That is mandatory if the car is changing province. No you do not need a letter of residence when buying only when changing owner at land reg office. some will except yellow house book. 

Edited by brianthainess

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is mandatory if the car is changing province. No you do not need a letter of residence when buying only when changing owner at land reg office. some will except yellow house book. 

You don't have to change number plate.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, brianthainess said:

So how many Certificates of Residence do you need when buying a new car?

I was thinking one for changing over the new plates at the transport office & one for the car insurance.

So is it none, one or two?

A follow up question. My current car has Bangkok plates. if I want to transfer the ownership of the car to a buyer, at Chiang Mai transport office, is that possible? or should I change the plates to Chiang Mai plates first? I've paid the road tax for 3 years at this Chiang Mai transport office, never an issue or a request we change to CM plates.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, yabbra said:

So how many Certificates of Residence do you need when buying a new car?

I was thinking one for changing over the new plates at the transport office & one for the car insurance.

So is it none, one or two?

I was told by the dealer they do need a Certificate of Residence to register the car.

This isn't required for insurance.