very sick friend missed CW retirement extension date -- what should he do?

Asking for a friend in his 70's, who has had non-O retirement for some years (at CW), based on 800K in bank.  

Cancer diagnosis in September, immediate surgery and chemo, then hospitalized Oct. 7 - Nov 3 (he has a letter saying this).  Now at home but has been very weak (looks really awful, truth be told).  Sees doctor again in two weeks.  

His 1-year non-O expired Oct 19.    90-day report expires Nov. 20.    Wants to know what to do.  Should he:

• drag down to CW as soon as possible with Nov 3 letter from hospital, letter from bank, and extension request?
  • wait until he is stronger in a few weeks, and get a current doctor's letter attesting to his illness?
  • something else?

Any help would be much appreciated,

-- Retiree

I’m sure someone will chime in with some solid information on this: 

I always understood that medical exemptions can be put in place with a letter from a Doctor. 

With such a letter, is it possible for you (or someone close to your friend) to apply for his Non-O Retirement extension without him being present ?

Another option could be to use a Visa Agent. 

His problem is that his permission to stay is now expired so there is nothing to extend.

. An extension due to medical problem (usually 90 days) could have been done had he applied for it before its expiry.

The question us what if anything can be done now. Best wait for @UbonJoe to reply on that.

As said a extension for medical treatment could of been done before his extension ended. Many hospitals have staff that know what is required and can do them for patients.

He has been on a overstay since November 1st when the amnesty ended and will be fined 500 baht a day.

I think if he went now to immigration now they would probably do his extension. Having proof he is unable to travel would help.

I'm guessing he must have known immigration is strict about deadlines without envelopes given at the right time and place.    

I'm sorry to think your friend let time get away from him and didn't  want to use an agent as Mr. Smith suggested above.    It would have  cost much less than  what he faces now and  he would have saved all the grief and  hassle.

Good luck.

Well, he's a responsible & organized guy; just got very sick very fast.  

Thanks very much for advice, which I will pass along.   I think his first step will be to ask a Thai friend to get out to CW with his paperwork (such as it is) tomorrow, and see if any guidance is available.

-- Retiree 

7 minutes ago, retiree said:

Well, he's a responsible & organized guy; just got very sick very fast.  

Thanks very much for advice, which I will pass along.   I think his first step will be to ask a Thai friend to get out to CW with his paperwork (such as it is) tomorrow, and see if any guidance is available.

-- Retiree 

The first step should be getting any doctors letters and statements that he has been unfit to travel, has been in hospital etc, perhaps even a letter from his Embassy. 

It would be best to have these in place before visiting immigration which simply alerts them to an over-stayer. 

Thus Options should be: 

1) Obtain a letter from his Doctor stating he is unfit to travel

2) Obtain a letter from his Embassy stating that he is unfit to travel

Then go to Immigration and request a post dated extension if possible or visa Amnesty.

That makes sense -- he will need the doctor's note in any case.   I will suggest that the Thai friend might try to ask questions on his behalf, but not bring any paperwork.   If it would'a/could'a helped, she can go back next day.  

-- Retiree

11 minutes ago, retiree said:

That makes sense -- he will need the doctor's note in any case.   I will suggest that the Thai friend might try to ask questions on his behalf, but not bring any paperwork.   If it would'a/could'a helped, she can go back next day.  

-- Retiree

Be aware that there is excellent online appointment for extension based on retirement at CW. It's a 15 minute slot to dedicated L counter.

Not sure about your advice re "not bring any paperwork". I'm thinking opposite. Especially anything you can obtain from hospital.

"not bring any paperwork"  -- a mutual Thai friend had some business at CW, and will ask questions on his behalf.  The sick friend probably won't be travelling further than bed <-> bathroom until his next doctor app't in two weeks (he's still as weak as the proverbial kitten). 

And yes, I've used the very good appointment system myself, but I suspect that if his current visa is expired he won't be able to use it.  But, we'll see.  

-- Retiree 

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If your friend is well off financially, use a good agent to sort this out.

Excellent idea. Should have been done as soon as issue arose. Then it would have been cheap. Now perhaps difficult. However would be my first call to agent. Asap.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then go to Immigration and request a post dated extension if possible or visa Amnesty.

They will no post date an extension to clear a overstay. Only after the fine is paid will they then issue a extension that will start on that day.

If I understand correctly, there is a 500 b/day fine, to a max of 20K.    If his medical paperwork is in order, then he will be fined, and if he is lucky, a new "extension" to his currently expired visa will be issued (or perhaps it will just be a new "under consideration" for a new retirement extension).   There is probably a critical point at 90-days overdue, but at present he is planning to be either walking or dead by then.   I have located a recommended visa agent if he decides to to go that route (but he might not, as a not-wealthy, old-school guy who has always managed things for himself).  

Thanks again for all advice,

-- Retiree

If the immigration officer has half a brain cell and some common decency?

On presentation of the paperwork and written medical confirmation by a Thai friend or yourself an extension should be issued and perhaps just a token overstay fine.

Truly hope it does work that way and your friend can put up a fight against his illness.

Good luck

My extension to stay (Non-O) ran out  after my cancer operation 3 years ago. I couldn't get out of bed at the time. Chiang Mai Immigration were superb. My wife went to see them with a hospital letter, asked her to come back the next morning and processed it for her in 20 minutes. Given the circumstances and a sympathetic IO they may even waive the fine. I would advise going to see them in person straight away and ask for their help. Good luck to your friend.

Archived