Do You Agree with Jack Nicklaus that November’s Augusta was too Easy?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Do You Agree with Jack Nicklaus that November’s Augusta was too Easy?

DSC_0010_9707b66a-c107-4a2f-9430-b55355db9910.jpg

The 84th Masters saw records broken, but was it really a fair comparison, against the normal course conditions of playing the same 18 holes in April?

Six-time Masters winner Jack Nicklaus took to social media last Thursday, after the opening round was suspended following the domino-effect of a lengthy morning weather suspension, to voice his displeasure in the low scoring.

In today's first round  @TheMasters

, what little bit of golf I saw after the rain was like throwing darts. There was no wind to speak of, the greens had no fire in them, and everywhere the ball hit just stopped. That is hardly Augusta National at its finest or most challenging.

Do you agree with Jack’s comments?

golf-banner.gif 

Of course its true, i expect even the current players know its true. This year was a once in a lifetime year with Covid causing the torunament to be moved and the stars aligning to give nice warm bengin temperatures and soft receptive greens.

Of course it played far easier than normal, but its not going to be the same every year. There were plenty of big numbers still out there.

Not really sure what Jacks point is. Yes it was easier than normal because of circumstance, but you can hardly hold that against the players. The winner still had to beat everyone.

• Like 2

Yes.  It does not matter if it was a pitch and putt they are the best pros in the world whoever had the best score

wins.

To add, Johnson was stripping his drives and is very long I doubt a tougher course would have made a difference in who won the way he was playing.

Yes...but not just in November. Augusta National has been too easy for 20 years. It's stunningly beautiful, historic and arguably the most coveted Major...however it's too short, too wide open with very little trouble and the rough is always too low and not thick enough. I've had the honor off attending a practice round in 2004 and it was a dream day I'll always cherish, but even back then it had already become the easiest of the Majors. The grounds are extremely limited for any expansion so they need to make the bunkers and especially the rough much more penal and also narrow down some of the fairways. 

The greens were definitely more receptive than usual. Tiger's 10 included what looked to me to be the perfect length pitch, only to spin back into Rae's Creek. They did not look lightning fast either.

Club, ball and instruction technology has evolved to the point where players are hitting wedge approaches to holes that formerly demanded a six or seven iron 15 - 20 years ago.

Having said that, it's not all bad. I would be unable to play if we were still on steel shafts and persimmon woods.

I think he is just giving Tiger a subtle dig for his 10 on such an easy course  ????.

Jack's had a great career but he is 80 and might be time to spare us his opinions when they can be

insulting and minimizing the achievement of an outstanding athlete like DJ .

3 hours ago, smylee52 said:

I think he is just giving Tiger a subtle dig for his 10 on such an easy course  ????.

Jack's had a great career but he is 80 and might be time to spare us his opinions when they can be

insulting and minimizing the achievement of an outstanding athlete like DJ .

I see, your opinion counts for more than a guy who has won 18 majors. Let's hear what your handicap is, OK?

DJ has served a PGA suspension for drug use. One of his fellow professionals has said

" Dustin is so dense, light bends around him"

Winning the Masters is an achievement. He'll have to do a lot more before he can be elevated to the level of Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan and Palmer.

Edited by Lacessit

On 11/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, Lacessit said:

I see, your opinion counts for more than a guy who has won 18 majors. Let's hear what your handicap is, OK?

DJ has served a PGA suspension for drug use. One of his fellow professionals has said

" Dustin is so dense, light bends around him"

Winning the Masters is an achievement. He'll have to do a lot more before he can be elevated to the level of Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan and Palmer.

Does he need to be elevated ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Does he need to be elevated ???

Can't answer that question. Most professional golfers aspire to being multiple major winners.

Dustin Johnson is 35 years old. He has won two majors, the US Open and the Masters.

Arnold Palmer has the most modest record of the greats, seven majors. He won them all before age 35, not a single one after.

When Johnson has won all the majors, he may deserve more accolades. He hasn't got much time left, and every year young and hungry golfers will be snapping at his heels.