Supreme Court upholds 50-year jail sentence for ex-TAT governor, 40 years for daughter

webfact

So going to jail but allowed to keep the money....just like Chatichai Choonhavan a former

Thai PM, he was allowed to keep the money, but had to pay tax on it ????.

Thai justice moves very slowly if you are  connected,the guy that paid the bribe has been

dead for many years now.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, anterian said:

If I remember correctly it was because the  American couple were prosecuted in the States and that opened a can of worms the Thai govt could not afford to ignore. 

I read some years ago there is or was some agreement between America and Thailand that American companies cant be seen to be offering inducements,

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anterian said:

If I remember correctly it was because the  American couple were prosecuted in the States and that opened a can of worms the Thai govt could not afford to ignore. 

More information here

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/film-executive-and-spouse-found-guilty-paying-bribes-senior-thai-tourism-official-obtain

If I see it correctly the court case in the US was finished in 2009 and the first court case in Thailand in 2017.

Edited by Oldie

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The court also revoked the order for confiscation of the money in overseas bank accounts,

So the crims get to keep their ill-gotten gains!  I wonder why? 1.8 million $ would help a lot of poor people instead of a few already rich ones.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

More information here

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/film-executive-and-spouse-found-guilty-paying-bribes-senior-thai-tourism-official-obtain

If I see it correctly the court case in the US was finished in 2009 and the first court case in Thailand in 2017.

Hopefully we will see similar jail time for the greedy in THAI Airways. 

About Bt1.2 billion in bribes was allegedly paid to officials involved in three major deals from 1991 to 2005, according to the Serious Fraud Office.

https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30311102

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Beautiful. Anytime a super corrupt person is sentenced here, it is a small miracle. 

However, what alot of us would love to see, would be the arrest and sentencing of some CURRENT army, police, administration, immigration and customs officials. It just never happens. It feels like the ultimate protection racket. 

really it begs the question ...why are a tiny percentage of the corrupt singled out and dealt harsh justice? A cynic may conclude that this wasn't officially approved corrupt activity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I read some years ago there is or was some agreement between America and Thailand that American companies cant be seen to be offering inducements,

No it all has to be done under the table in large brown envelopes where it can't be seen. Then, of course, it's OK. 

18 hours ago, Oldie said:
19 hours ago, anterian said:

More information here

Yes, my recollection is that the US handed Thailand all the evidence gathered in the case against the Greens, which should have been sufficient for a slam dunk prosecution of Juthamas. Thailand then followed the usual pattern for this type of case, delaying and postponing and considering while waiting for everyone to forget about it so that the matter could be dropped.

Unfortunately for Juthamas, though, the US kept following up again and again to ask when she would be prosecuted, so finally the case was actually prosecuted to a conclusion, even though that conclusion is rather bizarre (jailed for illegally taking money and hiding it overseas, but without forfeiture of the illegal money hidden overseas).

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

accepting US$1.8 million (Bt62 million) in bribes

Isn't that a similar value as ol' fatty's luxury watches alone?

Apples and pears, sure. The watches were borrowed. ????

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Beautiful. Anytime a super corrupt person is sentenced here, it is a small miracle. 

However, what alot of us would love to see, would be the arrest and sentencing of some CURRENT army, police, administration, immigration and customs officials. It just never happens. It feels like the ultimate protection racket. 

Super corrupt ? where ? she got $2 millions for helping a good company to get the contracts !

I do not see any corruption here !

• Haha 1