Best value new 4wd double cab ute to buy

nzthai

• 2 months later...

I have 2020 Toyota Rocco , Love it , and re-sale  should be a Breeze , too many Fords out there , imho, I just wish Toyota had more after market additions or options , I bought 2 wheel drive , all my friends suggested it , not much use for 4x4 and wear snd tear , unless I lived Moobaan No-Where 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 15 year old Toyota Vigo , top model (Elegance) , built like a tank , still looks new and I feel safe in it !!  Bit heavy on gas 4wd but need to tow a trailer .  Not ideal for city driving but even after 4 years ownership I will still get my money back ! Very sort after 4 door auto D4D with low depreciation .    Izuzu Dmax was probably best ever and new models are much more economical .  Don't go near MG unless you want a dinky toy and prepared to loose tons in depreciation .  Mazda BT Pro nice motor but can't comment on it's merits or otherwise .

IMG_20210121_170823.jpg

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I prefer Toyotas over all the others.  The quality of Toyotas are very good and they have a high resale value.  Lots of dealers through out the country.  4X4 is great but you have to decide how important is it.  Will you use 4X4 that often?  

well, as mentioned I have a big boat to tow !!

IMG_20200502_154150.jpg

Best value Isuzu. Great product, inexpensive service, great resale, dealers and service everywhere and cheap parts. 

Toyota is a fine product, but Isuzu is absolutely the better value. 

Since I’ve been here I’ve had four Isuzus and two Toyotas. All were fine vehicles. Currently driving a Fortuner.

• Like 1

Best value to me means the best reliability, you get that with a Toyota. When it comes to selling it there will be no problem either...

Sold my 11.5 year old Vigo 4x4 auto for 370,000bht for quick sale....????

PS. I bought it new at 69bht to the pound, sold it at around 39bht to the pound.....:wub:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Best value to me means the best reliability, you get that with a Toyota. When it comes to selling it there will be no problem either...

Sold my 11.5 year old Vigo 4x4 auto for 370,000bht for quick sale....????

PS. I bought it new at 69bht to the pound, sold it at around 39bht to the pound.....:wub:

You get great reliability with any number of vehicles. Isuzu included. 

Value means just that, value. You pay a premium for Toyota, both when you buy the vehicle and when you have it serviced. Resale value is better than some, but not better than Isuzu...

So what are you driving now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, Jen65 said:

I have a 15 year old Toyota Vigo , top model (Elegance) , built like a tank , still looks new and I feel safe in it !!  Bit heavy on gas 4wd but need to tow a trailer .  Not ideal for city driving but even after 4 years ownership I will still get my money back ! Very sort after 4 door auto D4D with low depreciation .    Izuzu Dmax was probably best ever and new models are much more economical .  Don't go near MG unless you want a dinky toy and prepared to loose tons in depreciation .  Mazda BT Pro nice motor but can't comment on it's merits or otherwise .

have you considered adding an LPG system. On my 2014 Escape, it reduced costs approx. 50%, even though my average speed is 120+ (except for radar trapped areas)

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 8:03 AM, paddypower said:

have you considered adding an LPG system. On my 2014 Escape, it reduced costs approx. 50%, even though my average speed is 120+ (except for radar trapped areas)

have avoided LPG due to bad press / safety concerns . It needs professional conversion - how much ?? 

8 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

have avoided LPG due to bad press / safety concerns . It needs professional conversion - how much ?? 

Safety concerns should be #1. this is what I did (2 Ford Escape's starting 2005):

find a well established installer. they will have a big yard, usually and have a few 16 wheelers (trucks) around, which have had lpg installed. The most reliable system is from Italy. Can't remember the name, but I can look it up. A good shop will give you a 12 months free checkup. My Escape, has the large size cylinder. Total cost, in 2018 was 32-35,000 baht. Get the system serviced every 12 months  (1,000 baht). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the pros and cons of installing LPG .  It appears many are unwilling to buy vehicles with conversions to LPG ?   I wonder how it affects resale value ?   Have to agree , long term and with extensive driving it would be well worthwhile to consider .  

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jen65 said:

Thanks for the info on the pros and cons of installing LPG .  It appears many are unwilling to buy vehicles with conversions to LPG ?   I wonder how it affects resale value ?   Have to agree , long term and with extensive driving it would be well worthwhile to consider .  

If installed or operated incorrectly the engines can get starved of lubricant. 

I would buy a car that came from the manufacturer burning LP, but not a conversion. 

On 1/29/2021 at 1:21 PM, Jen65 said:

Generally speaking you don't add LPG to a diesel, although I have seen it done. If I recollect correctly you still have to use diesel but the LPG system will add about 10%.

So if you want to convert to LPG you need to buy a pickup with a gasoline engine to start with.  

4WD is not really necessary for simply towing - they are no more powerful and in a purely towing situation, the extra traction they offer isn't used.  If you intend to use the truck to launch from a beach etc. then yes, 4WD.

3 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Generally speaking you don't add LPG to a diesel, although I have seen it done. If I recollect correctly you still have to use diesel but the LPG system will add about 10%.

So if you want to convert to LPG you need to buy a pickup with a gasoline engine to start with.  

..and the petrol equivalent will be well down on torque (e.g. the 2.7 fortuner). I don't think it would be suitable for towing 3T. 

A v8 conversion...well that would be better:)

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 6:59 PM, KhaoYai said:

4WD is not really necessary for simply towing - they are no more powerful and in a purely towing situation, the extra traction they offer isn't used.  If you intend to use the truck to launch from a beach etc. then yes, 4WD.

when one has 2.5 tons of boat being backed down or hauled up a slipway - especially a slipway that may have weed /mud etc on it  - then I need my 4WD !!

13 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

when one has 2.5 tons of boat being backed down or hauled up a slipway - especially a slipway that may have weed /mud etc on it  - then I need my 4WD !!

As I said, in that case then you would need 4WD but you will pay for it in terms of fuel consumption and additional servicing/repair costs.

2 hours ago, Jen65 said:

While a number of pickups are rated at 3 tonnes, thee was an Aussie video of a few of them and they were used to tow a 3 tonne caravan. They could do it, but it was a bit of a struggle. When they used larger v8 trucks (which we don't have here), they did it very easily. 

found it: 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 10:33 PM, DavisH said:

While a number of pickups are rated at 3 tonnes, thee was an Aussie video of a few of them and they were used to tow a 3 tonne caravan. They could do it, but it was a bit of a struggle. When they used larger v8 trucks (which we don't have here), they did it very easily. 

found it: 

I had a Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 turbo diesel in UK ( import from Japan) - the best 4x4 by far !!!