Retirement Visa Extension Yearly Bank Statement

Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in previous posts, but I can't find the information I need through a search of the forum. So I'll ask the question: How many days prior to my visit to Chiang Mai Immigration can I obtain my yearly bank statement from Bangkok Bank? To be clear, I'm referring to the new requirement for a yearly bank statement, not the one page letter showing the current account balance which must be obtained within seven days prior to visiting Immigration for our visa renewals. Thanks very much for any information any readers can supply. 

Do you need the bank statement for proof of income or to prove you had the 800/400k baht in the bank for the correct amount of time?

Since it takes 7 days to get the one year bank statement you can request it earlier. Then if needed by immigration you could get a one month bank statement on the day your request letter from the bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried to renew my retirement visa at Jomtien 5 weeks ahead of the expiration date.  I went to the bank, paid 100 baht for the bank account letter, only to be told at immigration that I was too early and the bank letter was only good for 3 days.  I would have to come back within a month of expiry and, yes, I would need a new bank letter.

• Thanks 1

I go to BB monthly to obtain  credit advices for my international transfers updating my bank book each time then present the 13 advices back to them for their annual statement a few days before going to Jomtien immigration and also copy all pages of my bank book for immigration. A pain but it works.

20 hours ago, acepredator said:

To be clear, I'm referring to the new requirement for a yearly bank statement

Which new requirement? 

Are you talking about a retirement extension based on your monthly income, or on having 800k two months prior to extension? 

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ?    I have always , about one week before expiry of my visa/extension of stay ( previously on O visa - now on O-A) I have gone to BB and obtained the normal letter confirming the amount and equivalent in Thai baht in my account plus made sure I get my bank book updated to that day ( deposit account)  and then go back to Immigration with everything else .  My bank book shows that it has not been touched for a year as I just leave it there and forget about it because I know it's only for visa/extension of stay .   That's usually IT , unless there is something new I don't know about ??  

47 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ?   

It appears your using money in the bank method for extensions based on retirement. That only requires what you have outlined.

Some people use the income method. For retirement that would be monthly deposits of min 65k. Of late imm offices are requesting bank statement that shows those deposits for the year.

Note above questions from posters for OP to clarify what method he is asking about.

It would seem income method. He has not clarified.

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ? 

Some offices are requiring a bank statement to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you applied for your current extension and then 400k baht until you top up your account to 800k baht for 2 months.

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the late reply to my original post. I'm possibly the only person in civilized society that doesn't own a smartphone, so I had to wait until tonight when I turned on my computer to see the replies to my query. 

As for the issue at hand, I'm talking about the 800k method kept in the bank as the basis for retirement visa extension. As I understand it, a yearly bank statement is now required for this method. It was not required when I extended last year, so I referred to it as a new requirement. Perhaps I am confusing this requirement with that which has always been in place if using the 65k per month method. 

I, and presumably others, would greatly appreciate it if someone with more knowledge on the subject could set the record straight. Thanks very much in advance.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I, and presumably others, would greatly appreciate it if someone with more knowledge on the subject could set the record straight. Thanks very much in advance.

Well first up it's important to indicate which imm office that you deal with.

I deal with CW and for money in the bank method all you need is bank letter, updated bankbook and CW likes to see activity on the day. (small deposit) and photocopies of bankbook for last 12 months. 

I realize Ubonjoe above has mentioned some random offices requiring bank statements.

I would like to see list. Thinking they would be few and far between. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well first up it's important to indicate which imm office that you deal with.

I deal with CW and for money in the bank method all you need is bank letter, updated bankbook and CW likes to see activity on the day. (small deposit) and photocopies of bankbook for last 12 months. 

I realize Ubonjoe above has mentioned some random offices requiring bank statements.

I would like to see list. Thinking they would be few and far between. 

As I stated in my original post, I am dealing with the Chiang Mai immigration office. Last year I had to do everything that you mentioned, except the small account activity on the day of my visit. I only updated the bank book at an ATM on the way to the office, and there was no problem. Again, I thought that Immigration was becoming more bothersome than last year, so that's the reason for the new requirement of a yearly statement, even for the 800k method.

3 minutes ago, acepredator said:

As I stated in my original post, I am dealing with the Chiang Mai immigration office. Last year I had to do everything that you mentioned, except the small account activity on the day of my visit. I only updated the bank book at an ATM on the way to the office, and there was no problem. Again, I thought that Immigration was becoming more bothersome than last year, so that's the reason for the new requirement of a yearly statement, even for the 800k method.

Fair enough. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be along to advise you about CM.

I note that reports of CM being difficult with 60 day extensions currently and not providing affidavit option. I realize unrelated but would not surprise me if CM are pulling this stunt regarding bank statements which clearly are not necessary.