Retirement Visa Extension Yearly Bank Statement

Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in previous posts, but I can't find the information I need through a search of the forum. So I'll ask the question: How many days prior to my visit to Chiang Mai Immigration can I obtain my yearly bank statement from Bangkok Bank? To be clear, I'm referring to the new requirement for a yearly bank statement, not the one page letter showing the current account balance which must be obtained within seven days prior to visiting Immigration for our visa renewals. Thanks very much for any information any readers can supply. 

Do you need the bank statement for proof of income or to prove you had the 800/400k baht in the bank for the correct amount of time?

Since it takes 7 days to get the one year bank statement you can request it earlier. Then if needed by immigration you could get a one month bank statement on the day your request letter from the bank.

I just tried to renew my retirement visa at Jomtien 5 weeks ahead of the expiration date.  I went to the bank, paid 100 baht for the bank account letter, only to be told at immigration that I was too early and the bank letter was only good for 3 days.  I would have to come back within a month of expiry and, yes, I would need a new bank letter.

I go to BB monthly to obtain  credit advices for my international transfers updating my bank book each time then present the 13 advices back to them for their annual statement a few days before going to Jomtien immigration and also copy all pages of my bank book for immigration. A pain but it works.

20 hours ago, acepredator said:

To be clear, I'm referring to the new requirement for a yearly bank statement

Which new requirement? 

Are you talking about a retirement extension based on your monthly income, or on having 800k two months prior to extension? 

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ?    I have always , about one week before expiry of my visa/extension of stay ( previously on O visa - now on O-A) I have gone to BB and obtained the normal letter confirming the amount and equivalent in Thai baht in my account plus made sure I get my bank book updated to that day ( deposit account)  and then go back to Immigration with everything else .  My bank book shows that it has not been touched for a year as I just leave it there and forget about it because I know it's only for visa/extension of stay .   That's usually IT , unless there is something new I don't know about ??  

47 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ?   

It appears your using money in the bank method for extensions based on retirement. That only requires what you have outlined.

Some people use the income method. For retirement that would be monthly deposits of min 65k. Of late imm offices are requesting bank statement that shows those deposits for the year.

Note above questions from posters for OP to clarify what method he is asking about.

It would seem income method. He has not clarified.

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

Immigration must be getting a bit pedantic on this !  A yearly bank statement ? 

Some offices are requiring a bank statement to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you applied for your current extension and then 400k baht until you top up your account to 800k baht for 2 months.

Apologies for the late reply to my original post. I'm possibly the only person in civilized society that doesn't own a smartphone, so I had to wait until tonight when I turned on my computer to see the replies to my query. 

As for the issue at hand, I'm talking about the 800k method kept in the bank as the basis for retirement visa extension. As I understand it, a yearly bank statement is now required for this method. It was not required when I extended last year, so I referred to it as a new requirement. Perhaps I am confusing this requirement with that which has always been in place if using the 65k per month method. 

I, and presumably others, would greatly appreciate it if someone with more knowledge on the subject could set the record straight. Thanks very much in advance.

3 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I, and presumably others, would greatly appreciate it if someone with more knowledge on the subject could set the record straight. Thanks very much in advance.

Well first up it's important to indicate which imm office that you deal with.

I deal with CW and for money in the bank method all you need is bank letter, updated bankbook and CW likes to see activity on the day. (small deposit) and photocopies of bankbook for last 12 months. 

I realize Ubonjoe above has mentioned some random offices requiring bank statements.

I would like to see list. Thinking they would be few and far between. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well first up it's important to indicate which imm office that you deal with.

I deal with CW and for money in the bank method all you need is bank letter, updated bankbook and CW likes to see activity on the day. (small deposit) and photocopies of bankbook for last 12 months. 

I realize Ubonjoe above has mentioned some random offices requiring bank statements.

I would like to see list. Thinking they would be few and far between. 

As I stated in my original post, I am dealing with the Chiang Mai immigration office. Last year I had to do everything that you mentioned, except the small account activity on the day of my visit. I only updated the bank book at an ATM on the way to the office, and there was no problem. Again, I thought that Immigration was becoming more bothersome than last year, so that's the reason for the new requirement of a yearly statement, even for the 800k method.

3 minutes ago, acepredator said:

As I stated in my original post, I am dealing with the Chiang Mai immigration office. Last year I had to do everything that you mentioned, except the small account activity on the day of my visit. I only updated the bank book at an ATM on the way to the office, and there was no problem. Again, I thought that Immigration was becoming more bothersome than last year, so that's the reason for the new requirement of a yearly statement, even for the 800k method.

Fair enough. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be along to advise you about CM.

I note that reports of CM being difficult with 60 day extensions currently and not providing affidavit option. I realize unrelated but would not surprise me if CM are pulling this stunt regarding bank statements which clearly are not necessary.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Fair enough. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be along to advise you about CM.

I note that reports of CM being difficult with 60 day extensions currently and not providing affidavit option. I realize unrelated but would not surprise me if CM are pulling this stunt regarding bank statements which clearly are not necessary.

Yes, it seems likely. I have seen the same reports. To be safe, I went ahead and got the yearly statement, at a cost of only 200 baht at Bangkok Bank. My statement is dated 10 days before my immigration appointment, so my concern was that it might be too early, but as it is a yearly statement, probably not.

2 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

I am going to CM immigration to extend/renew Non O visa, and my agent required me to obtain bank statement and letter.

There is the answer then. It seems that it is, indeed, a new requirement by CM Immigration, who just want to make our lives in the Rose of the North a little bit more complicated and difficult than they already are. Thanks very much for the information.

1 minute ago, acepredator said:

There is the answer then. It seems that it is, indeed, a new requirement by CM Immigration, who just want to make our lives in the Rose of the North a little bit more complicated and difficult than they already are. Thanks very much for the information.

Very disappointing. Perhaps CM is hoping to win the "most unreasonable imm offices 2020".

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very disappointing. Perhaps CM is hoping to win the "most unreasonable imm offices 2020".

Yes, they are certainly in the top tier of contenders. Mercifully, the visa renewal is only once a year. To their credit, however, the 90 day report couldn't be easier. They've streamlined it so that you are literally in and out of the office in a matter of minutes. They even feature a drive-through window now.

12 hours ago, acepredator said:

Yes, they are certainly in the top tier of contenders. Mercifully, the visa renewal is only once a year. To their credit, however, the 90 day report couldn't be easier. They've streamlined it so that you are literally in and out of the office in a matter of minutes. They even feature a drive-through window now.

CM have previous form as regards making life difficult for retirees at annual extension of stay time, of course. Were you one of those who used to have to queue up from the small hours each year in order to stand any chance of getting your application approved the same day, on the grounds that you weren't prepared to avail yourself of agency services for grease-palming purposes?

I tried to renew my retirement visa today.  Jomtien.  Monthly income method. All was going smoothly ...they happy with everything ...  I was getting a warm glow of it being sorted for another year.

But then they said all good .. but where is your proof of the source of your UK income.  They assumed I had this in my folder.  Errrrrr no. 

Grrrrrr forgot that.  No check list I researched on t'internet, in last few days reminded me of that.  So this is a reminder ....in case others as daft as me and forget too.

No logic to them needing to know ... thats my excuse.

I will try again ..when IMO reopen on Monday.   I only got photo copies of photo copies of letters when my various pensions started years ago giving details. They accepted them last year.

But I printed out my UK bank money IN amounts last year as back up. Printer faulty now so not sure if I can do that this time. 

I guess my Thai bank letter will be a few days old by then and possibly may be rejected .... might be more hassle on Monday.  

But hey ho.

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

CM have previous form as regards making life difficult for retirees at annual extension of stay time, of course. Were you one of those who used to have to queue up from the small hours each year in order to stand any chance of getting your application approved the same day, on the grounds that you weren't prepared to avail yourself of agency services for grease-palming purposes?

Yes, I was. I was on my motorbike by 05:00 a.m. for the ride to the old office at the airport, and then later to Promenada. For a time they had the reservation system, where I would log on exactly 100 days before the date I wanted to renew my visa. There were only eight slots available, so I would log on at 12:01 a.m. to get one of them, which I did every year the system was available. Alas, that system ended, and then it was back to the chilly early morning ride on the motorbike.

This year I was able to send a message through the Immigration website requesting an appointment, which was granted. My appointment is for tomorrow morning, so this week I've been getting everything in order. Hopefully, all will go smoothly.

In my 25 years living in South Korea and Thailand I have found that if you just follow the rules as established by Immigration you won't have a problem. In those 25 years, I have never been denied a visa. Follow the rules and it will work out every time, without the need to pay a visa agent.

As for Jomtien, I don't think the yearly letter is necessary for the 800,000 route.

The desk aide checking my papers did not mention such a thing.  Of course,

Jomtien ranks at the top of the list for ease of use, IMO.  13 years and not a problem.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, LALes said:

I just tried to renew my retirement visa at Jomtien 5 weeks ahead of the expiration date.  I went to the bank, paid 100 baht for the bank account letter, only to be told at immigration that I was too early and the bank letter was only good for 3 days.  I would have to come back within a month of expiry and, yes, I would need a new bank letter.

Correct....apply 2 weeks prior and 1 week after expiration date

35 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Correct....apply 2 weeks prior and 1 week after expiration date

Wrong info. That is for 90 day reporting.

To apply for the extension there is no 7 days after. You would be on a overstay it you went after your extension expired.

For CM, yes, you need two letters from your bank: the 12 month activity letter and the latest balance letter. The former can be obtained several weeks in advance of Imm appointment, the latter 7 days.

No big deal. The banks know what you're asking for -- you just need to go to the bank twice to order and obtain these letters -- 200 plus 100 baht fee.

My agent said this was just to cover their six, as not all Imm agents wanted these letters, but, however, at CM most now do.

Certainly easier to do this than to find out you're denied at Imm, thus requiring a return to the bank, and a 7 day wait for the 12 month letter (that *could* affect your annual renewal deadlines). No brainer.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, acepredator said:

My statement is dated 10 days before my immigration appointment, so my concern was that it might be too early,

Not for CM -- that report covers the snapshot timeframe they're curious about (i.e., money movements right after last renewal, interim movements, and balance two months before latest renewal application).

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Not for CM -- that report covers the snapshot timeframe they're curious about (i.e., money movements right after last renewal, interim movements, and balance two months before latest renewal application).

That puts my mind completely at ease. I assumed that 10 days prior to my appointment wouldn't be a problem, but I posted the question just to be sure. Very happy to hear from someone who is extremely knowledgeable about the issue at hand. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. 

Archived